2004 Volvo S60 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S60 model:
Trouble in Volvoland
By Clyde Beck on 07/28/09 20:47 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo S60 2.5T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

In may of 2004 my Fiancée and I traveled to Sweden to pick up my new S60. It was a wonderful experience and most of it was paid for by Volvo. I'm in to my forth year now and early last year I had an issue that never got resolved. While driving one day my side view mirror glass began to wobble. I quickly pushed on it and that prevented it from falling off. Five days latter while making a left hand turn my passenger side view glass mirror fell of and crashed to the ground. I contacted my Volvo dealer where I had been taking my car for service for four years and they replaced the mirrors and charged me. I thought that wasn't right because it had to be a manufacturing defect.

Rare Combination
By Reviewer on 07/18/09 16:29 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo S60 R 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I love my S60R! Few cars in the world can claim high performance, comfort, exclusivity, great looks, all wheel drive, and still get 30 miles per gallon on the highway. It is a jack of all trades, and a master of none, other than being a great all around performance car. I bought the car two years ago with 25K miles and have had a few maintenance issues that have thankfully been covered under warranty; i.e. the HID headlamps pointed down too much and triggered a warning, the radio display went haywire, there in a thumping sound in the rear suspension occasionally when braking, and oh yes, the factory front air dams got torn off in a matter of months.

Great used car purchase
By KeepKeysAwayFromWife on 06/27/09 17:43 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo S60 2.5T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Purchased 04 S60 2.5T in May 09 with ~60k miles for ~$10k. Although not as tight or responsive as 91 Jetta GLI, car is fun to drive with adequate hp. Suspension is firm, but steering feedback is less than GLI. Seats are very comfortable, but not as snug as Recarro's of GLI. MPG settling in around 21.5 with mix of very short daily commute with 1 hr drives to airport. Even with STC on, the car will squeal tires. Wife would not drive Acura CL, but regularly absconds with the S60!

2004 Volvo review
By eturner on 05/31/09 12:28 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo S60 2.4 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Have owned two previous Volvo's and now own two 2004 S-60 2.4 sedans. Have driven both long distance and around town and find them to be very enjoyable to drive.

Exterior Beauty
By amspychalski on 05/12/09 17:31 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo S60 2.4 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Bought my S60 used with 60k miles, and couldn't be happier with the price I paid. While I was not completely happy with the overall acceleration from stop (which was greatly improved by adding a cool-air intake for $30), the performance and handling of the car is great. Before the addition of the intake, the car got 30 mpg (around 35 with). I get positive comments all the time regarding the looks of the car. The bi-xenon headlamps, leather interior, and 18 inch wheels are must-have options that drastically change the appearance of the car. The handling on windy roads is fantastic. Acceleration from stop is not great, but makes up for it in the quick jump it can make from 40 to 80+ mph

S60R 6spd
By Turboguru on 04/24/09 06:23 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo S60 R 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought this car in December of 08, only 4 months later and the car has been in the shop more than I've had it. Countless little problems, and several Major problems, costing over $3000. I'm afraid to drive the car cause I never know when its gonna break next. The turning radius stinks, and it makes random noises. But its leather is top notch, sound system is great when it works, it looks amazing, accelerates great.

Best Sleeper Ever
By Joshua on 01/25/09 01:17 AM (PST)

2004 Volvo S60 R 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I love my car. Without effort it hurls itself past other traffic. It stops quickly (very) and straight. It will plow snow out of your way (not deep snow mind you, but it was still impressive to trundle through a 1/4 mile of 6-8" deep snow without issue). It (literally) drove where a well driven Dodge Ram 4x4 with weight in the back could not. If you know where your car is, you won't hit those bits of concrete when you park.. No matter what you do the turning radius stinks, and if someone gives the rims a funny look it'll leave a mark. It is a beautiful car in person. Drive one and I suspect you'll get one.

Performance with a Smile
By Terzo on 10/21/08 17:51 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo S60 R 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I was looking for a reliable, fun and safe car that wasn't a gas hog and could be driven year round. The Volvo S60R was definitely it. I looked at the Audi S4, the Acura TL and many others. None could compare to the R. It has 3 different suspension settings that actually make a huge difference in handling. It has plenty of power and a huge torgue band. I am getting about 23 miles to the gallon with some highway driving. However if you are on it (throttle) and I mean on it (like racing from 40mph to 120mph with turns and a lot of brakingyou will on get about 12. The brakes are unreal. The interior quality is execptional. The features just keep on giving. Awesome car & mileage too.

A fun Volvo?
By aeroengrpv on 09/22/08 10:46 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo S60 R 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I sold my BMW 328ci looking for a European car that was faster than my Bimmer and found most to be too expensive. Then I found the R. It serves the purpose perfectly. The six-speed manual is a must have. 300 horses, a six-speed, and a suspension that you can dial in with legendary Volvo safety? What more could you ask.

A Realistic Review
By 1st European Car on 03/24/08 18:33 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought this car looking for an AWD sedan that was good on gas, fun to drive and affordable. After a long search, I settled on the Volvo. I've probably read over 15 editorial reviews, scoured consumer feedback, etc. on this car, and owned it for about a week now, so here is the deal. Reviewers say this car is not the most luxurious, not the fastest nor has the best design. However, it does do all of these things very well, so I think it's the best value of any domestic or Euro sedan. It's extremely comfortable, fast enough and holds the road well, without the hefty price tag of a BMW or Lexus. I love this car, and received a lot of compliments in the short time I've owned it.