Used 2004 Volvo S60 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volvo S60 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S60 model:

Beloved Car, great investment.
By ccolli17

2004 Volvo S60 2.5T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

The 2004 Volvo S60 was my first Volvo, and will not be my last. It is my strong belief that the car has saved my life twice, and has also had minimal problems, especially for someone as hard on cars as I am. I bought the car in 2008 with only 28,000k on it, and put 89,000k on it in a 3-year time frame (117,000 k by 2012). The car withstood 2 minor accidents and 2 major accidents. During the time I owned the car, I replaced a fuel sensor that was a factory recall, one battery, one break job, tires when necessary, and all other replacements were due to car accidents- pretty amazing for 89,000k miles of use.

At about 65 MPH I hydroplaned due to a truck driver cutting me off on the interstate while loosing control of his trailer (I-16 in rural GA). The accident caused me to spin out of control over four lanes of traffic, meeting traffic on the opposite side of the interstate, and fortunately I was not hit. The car received no major damage, the muffler had to be resituated, and I walked away with out a scratch A month ago my S60 was totaled, but saved my life, and the lives of two small children (ages 3 and 6) who were in the backseat of my car. While stopped at a red light, a Ford F250 pickup with a frontal brush-guard rammed into the back of my car at about 55mph, totaling the car.

Problems I experiences with the car were minor or cosmetic. The cup-holder was broken when I bought the car, and every other S60 near this year range that I test-drove appeared to have the same problem. I also had a problem with bulbs burning out quickly, but later found out it was my own fault for purchasing cheap bulbs from places like advanced auto parts, and replacing them my self. Only have the dealership replace lights if you purchase this vehicle. If not, cheap inexpensive lights will burn out your wiring because they are far too powerful for the sensitive sensors. Check engine light comes on if gas cap is not tightened to full extent. common problem, simple solution.

Volvo S60 2.5T 2004dc
By DCottrill

2004 Volvo S60 2.5T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought this car as it was being "pulled" off the truck. It has been an excellent vehicle these past 7 years with no maintenance issues. I have followed the mfg guidelines for service, every 7,500 miles, and it continues to run like a top as they say. A most recent 1,800 mile round trip to S.C. from Ohio averaged 32.3 mpg including some city driving. The only drawback would be the leg room in the rear seating area, but trunk space is huge for this size of vehicle. I plan on keeping this vehicle for another 130,000 miles. I hope the new owners of Volvo don't change a thing on quality!

Love it!
By R you ready?

2004 Volvo S60 R 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I love this car despite the quirks mentioned in other reviews. It's great on the highway, not so great in parking lots, but overall very suitable as a daily driver if you want fun. I love the overall driving experience including the steering wheel, pedals, and seat. In the black sapphire color, with a fresh coat of wax it looks brand new and sexy even after 6 years. The leather looks almost new. I like the rain-sensing wipers, automatic headlights, 3-position seat/mirror memory, push-button adjustable suspension ("4c"), and wheel- mounted audio controls. The front bumper is too low and the turning radius is awful. My wife thinks the ride is harsh and the seats are too low.

- FUN to drive! Can take to the track if you want. Corners like it's on rails. - Styling and finish looks new even after 6 years. - Seats are very comfortable. - Lots of luxury features you don't expect on a 2004 (see above). - Volvo safety!

If your main focus is on performance, you won't find anything lacking. For greater convenience: - a front bumper that does not get caught on parking lot curbs - more rear leg room - smaller turning radius! - simpler stereo controls

anticipate high cost of ownership
By John

2004 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I am at 85K miles now. Repairs to date: all valves replaced, power steering pump replaced, multiple hoses replaced; etc. Far higher cost of ownership than prior cars; S60 was supposed to be a field proven model. I can't tell if my dealership is exploiting me or if the car is just built to fall apart. My other vehicle, a 97 Honda Civic, is bombproof - no major repairs, >> 100K miles. I will not buy another Volvo; for the price and maintenance, the math is not compelling.

Comfortable seats; good for long distance driving.

Next time, build for reliability.

better alternatives
By not for me

2004 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I've had this car for about 2 and a half years and am looking forward to getting rid of it. I traded in an f 150 for this car because of gas mileage and I still wanted 4wd. I've spent over 6k in repairs, keeping the truck was a better idea. It looks good on the outside, but with new tires and awd winters are still difficult. Gas mileage is good but too many awkward things. When I turn left it makes an odd noise, but drives fine. The carpet inside has torn in odd places. If I use the cd/cassette player the drivers side speakers don't work. I cant warm my car up without being in it because you cant lock the doors with the other keyless remove with the car running. I wont be buying another

heated seats, moonroof

honestly, outside of the good features, start over. fix the problems, create more room and more comfortable seats, better turn radius, and make the car reliable.