2004 Volvo S60 R - Consumer Reviews

R 2.5L 5-cyl. Turbo AWD 6-speed Manual - (117 reviews )
Love it!
By R you ready? on 06/16/10 18:33 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo S60 R R 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I love this car despite the quirks mentioned in other reviews. It's great on the highway, not so great in parking lots, but overall very suitable as a daily driver if you want fun. I love the overall driving experience including the steering wheel, pedals, and seat. In the black sapphire color, with a fresh coat of wax it looks brand new and sexy even after 6 years. The leather looks almost new. I like the rain-sensing wipers, automatic headlights, 3-position seat/mirror memory, push-button adjustable suspension ("4c"), and wheel- mounted audio controls. The front bumper is too low and the turning radius is awful. My wife thinks the ride is harsh and the seats are too low.

Rare Combination
By Reviewer on 07/18/09 16:29 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo S60 R R 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I love my S60R! Few cars in the world can claim high performance, comfort, exclusivity, great looks, all wheel drive, and still get 30 miles per gallon on the highway. It is a jack of all trades, and a master of none, other than being a great all around performance car. I bought the car two years ago with 25K miles and have had a few maintenance issues that have thankfully been covered under warranty; i.e. the HID headlamps pointed down too much and triggered a warning, the radio display went haywire, there in a thumping sound in the rear suspension occasionally when braking, and oh yes, the factory front air dams got torn off in a matter of months.

S60R 6spd
By Turboguru on 04/24/09 06:23 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo S60 R R 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought this car in December of 08, only 4 months later and the car has been in the shop more than I've had it. Countless little problems, and several Major problems, costing over $3000. I'm afraid to drive the car cause I never know when its gonna break next. The turning radius stinks, and it makes random noises. But its leather is top notch, sound system is great when it works, it looks amazing, accelerates great.

Best Sleeper Ever
By Joshua on 01/25/09 01:17 AM (PST)

2004 Volvo S60 R R 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I love my car. Without effort it hurls itself past other traffic. It stops quickly (very) and straight. It will plow snow out of your way (not deep snow mind you, but it was still impressive to trundle through a 1/4 mile of 6-8" deep snow without issue). It (literally) drove where a well driven Dodge Ram 4x4 with weight in the back could not. If you know where your car is, you won't hit those bits of concrete when you park.. No matter what you do the turning radius stinks, and if someone gives the rims a funny look it'll leave a mark. It is a beautiful car in person. Drive one and I suspect you'll get one.

Performance with a Smile
By Terzo on 10/21/08 17:51 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo S60 R R 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I was looking for a reliable, fun and safe car that wasn't a gas hog and could be driven year round. The Volvo S60R was definitely it. I looked at the Audi S4, the Acura TL and many others. None could compare to the R. It has 3 different suspension settings that actually make a huge difference in handling. It has plenty of power and a huge torgue band. I am getting about 23 miles to the gallon with some highway driving. However if you are on it (throttle) and I mean on it (like racing from 40mph to 120mph with turns and a lot of brakingyou will on get about 12. The brakes are unreal. The interior quality is execptional. The features just keep on giving. Awesome car & mileage too.

A fun Volvo?
By aeroengrpv on 09/22/08 10:46 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo S60 R R 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I sold my BMW 328ci looking for a European car that was faster than my Bimmer and found most to be too expensive. Then I found the R. It serves the purpose perfectly. The six-speed manual is a must have. 300 horses, a six-speed, and a suspension that you can dial in with legendary Volvo safety? What more could you ask.

GREAT everyday driver
By Tara on 01/12/08 08:47 AM (PST)

2004 Volvo S60 R R 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I have had this car for a little over one year now, and it is fantastic. I drive it everyday, in every weather condition. Handles great, love the actice chassis controls. Gas mileage is wonderful, as long as you're not constantly in boost. Looks great with the factory body kit..nice and sporty. Highly recommend this car!

Ultimate Volvo Turn On
By Hilltop Volvo Fan on 12/03/07 23:34 PM (PST)

2004 Volvo S60 R R 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Volvo epitomizes "safety" to me and most important feature in a car for me was simply a comfortable, safe, and affordable ride until I bought a used 2004 S60R that has completely rocked my world! What a beast! I love the way the car handles, drives, and looks. AWD and lightning fast acceleration and solid braking... man, I am in love!

What a fun car.
By Demetri on 01/15/07 16:45 PM (PST)

2004 Volvo S60 R R 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I had been drooling over the S60/V70R for a couple of years, and finally had the means to buy one. I could not be happier with the vehicle. It is fun to drive, and the performance is great.

Perfect Compromise
By Mike on 01/09/07 13:10 PM (PST)

2004 Volvo S60 R R 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

The objective reviews of this car are right on. On balance, the severe flaws in this car are outweighed by the advantages. I came from an Audi A4. The A4 just "felt" much better but the S60R blows the A4 away in pure speed and power. The S60R is not terribly reliable but more so than the A4. Both cars are expensive to maintain. The A4 was more comfortable inside and the A4 interior is more attractive.The safety features and the standard "extra's" on the S60 far exceed the A4. There is a major problem with the turning radius of the S60R - MAJOR. The rear seat room in the S60R is nothing short of disgraceful. The stock tires on the S60R are dangerous; trammeling.This car is a compromise.