Used 2004 Volvo S60 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S60 model:

Love this car!
By Linda Sinclair

2004 Volvo S60 2.5T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought my car brand new in August 2003. It has 177K miles on it. Other than a tiny parking lot door ding on one side, which I will have a mobile dent guy repair, and a bit of wear on the door side of the driver's leather seat, the car still looks like new when it's just had a good wash. I have followed the manufacturer's maintenance schedule during the almost 12 years of ownership, except I now get regular maintenance every 5K miles instead of every 7500 miles. I plan to keep driving this car until it simply will not go any longer, which I am hoping won't be for another few hundred thousand miles.

I looked at and test drove BMWs and Mercedes when I was looking for a new car. I liked the comfort and drive of the Volvo so much better. When adding to the legendary Volvo safety, it was no conquest.

As others have noted, the turning radius is bad. I decided the Swedes must not make u-turns! I understand that problem has been resolved in the new model S60s. Otherwise, this car has been perfect for my needs.

2004 S60 2.5T
By germayne Holland

2004 Volvo S60 2.5T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I just bought this car and it currently has 206,000 highway miles, which I figured out but running a car fax and whoever the owner(s) were prior to me, took very good care of the car. So far I absolutely love my car. When I purchased it, the only thing I had to do is change the spark plugs (NGK Iridium), front sway bar links/stabilizer & the drivers side outter tie rod, with a wheel alignment afterwards. I repeat do not go to the Volvo dealer to service this car. If you have a regular licensed mechanic, that knows Volvo's, that's sufficient. I purchased my parts online and then took the car to my mechanic just for the labor. I use mid to premium grade gas, it runs better with the turbo.

The interior is classy, the sound system is awesome. The turbo charge I only punch when needed just to get ahead of traffic quickly. I did my homework and if you blow the turbo, the part alone could cost over $300. I'm a female who loves cars & over the years, I've owned BMW'S, Lexus & an Audi. This is My first Volvo and I love it, very smooth ride.. Sophisticated, classy car, with a somewhat sporty look to it and don't forget the turbo is A1, when necessary ;-)

I would have preferred that the car came as all one color. The white exterior has black bumper trim on the doors, the front/rear bumpers and on the side view mirrors. I know Volvo probably wanted to have a almost sport look to it, but the iced white solid color of the entire exterior would have been awesome. This is just a suggestion, but my plans is to have it painted one color or Plasti Dip the moldings to match the color of the entire car, which I have the iced white.

Impressed
By volvoguy6

2004 Volvo S60 2.5T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

When I bought this car I had some serious questions about weather I had done the right thing or not. I did have to put some $$$$ into it to catch the maintenace up, but I knew that going in. A month later and I'm in love! This is my 3rd Volvo the other 2 were from a time when a Volvo was a Volvo so I was very skeptical when I bought this one. The body design is what really caught my attention and after doing research I was sold. The car gets an amazing 30mpg on the hwy (at 70 mph) and its also fairly efficent in town so the fact it needs premium is not that big of an issue. The seats are very comfortable and the car stops on a dime. I'm really very happy with it so far.

I love the seats! Great for long trips and very supportive. The car also has 8 airbags so it's very safe. The sunroof is nice. The digital climate control is amazing winter and summer. The heated seats and mirros are a nice toch as is the memory seat remembering the position of the outside mirriors. My favorite thing is the trip computer that helps keep you keep an eye on gas milage and lets you know what's going on with the car. The fold flat front seat is genius to maximize space! Gas milage is super for what it is 30 mpg hwy and upper to mid 20's in town.

Intiror build quality leaves MUCH to be disired. Expect the cup holder lid to brake and finishes to scratch VERY easy. The leather dries out and ages faster than it should. The turning raidus is awful! My 1994 940 stationwagon turns tigher! Visibility out the rear is not so great even with the auto fold down head rest and it's also hard to judge where how close the nose of the car is to the curb when parking. Electronics can be touchy at times.

Long Term Evaluation
By swedewheels

2004 Volvo S60 2.5T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I have owned the S60 2.5T for ten years, 175,000+ miles, until the sad day I totaled it. What I've learned from my Volvo experience - ultra reliable, smooth running, and well built. Some driver sight line issues. Repairs: after 75k much front end work on tie rods, bearings, & struts and was still a little rattely. Replaced many tail lights (always kept spares in trunk). No drive train issues except some trans shift flaring from day 1. Interior plastic parts (console lid and steering wheel adjustment handle) broke about 100k. Gas port lid hinge (cheap plastic) broke off at 35k and lost lid on freeway. No rear seat space. Overall an 8.5 out of 10

Comfortable seats. Great looking car, even after 10 years. HU-805 sound system sounds great! However, dash volume knob stopped responding and was prone to bouts of mysterious channel changing. Lucky steering wheel volume continued to work.

Simplify front end and make it more robust. Improve leg room in back. Better interior parts (improved in later models). Trans flare fix. Improve turning radius - surprisingly large for vehicle of its size I would still get another to replace my totaled S60 but not sure I am "Volvo for life".

217,000 and going strong
By birddogphil

2004 Volvo S60 2.4 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I have driven this car for business for the last 8 years.This is my second Volvo in recent years and I consider this S60 to be as close to the perfect car for me as I will ever get.With the 2.4 engine,I think the performance is good but obviously not stellar.Reliability,comfort,style,MPG are however all stellar.Keep a few extra bulbs on hand,change the oil and do regular maintenance and do what I am planning to do-keep driving this car for 300,000 miles and then decide if I should look for a new ride.

The leather still smells new after 10 years.Don't ask me how this could be possible

Center console is too small and a little weak.