2004 Volvo S60 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S60 model:
Impressed
By volvoguy6 on 09/11/14 13:53 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo S60 2.5T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

When I bought this car I had some serious questions about weather I had done the right thing or not. I did have to put some $$$$ into it to catch the maintenace up, but I knew that going in. A month later and I'm in love! This is my 3rd Volvo the other 2 were from a time when a Volvo was a Volvo so I was very skeptical when I bought this one. The body design is what really caught my attention and after doing research I was sold. The car gets an amazing 30mpg on the hwy (at 70 mph) and its also fairly efficent in town so the fact it needs premium is not that big of an issue. The seats are very comfortable and the car stops on a dime. I'm really very happy with it so far.

Long Term Evaluation
By swedewheels on 09/29/13 22:46 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo S60 2.5T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I have owned the S60 2.5T for ten years, 175,000+ miles, until the sad day I totaled it. What I've learned from my Volvo experience - ultra reliable, smooth running, and well built. Some driver sight line issues. Repairs: after 75k much front end work on tie rods, bearings, & struts and was still a little rattely. Replaced many tail lights (always kept spares in trunk). No drive train issues except some trans shift flaring from day 1. Interior plastic parts (console lid and steering wheel adjustment handle) broke about 100k. Gas port lid hinge (cheap plastic) broke off at 35k and lost lid on freeway. No rear seat space. Overall an 8.5 out of 10

217,000 and going strong
By birddogphil on 12/12/12 19:09 PM (PST)

2004 Volvo S60 2.4 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I have driven this car for business for the last 8 years.This is my second Volvo in recent years and I consider this S60 to be as close to the perfect car for me as I will ever get.With the 2.4 engine,I think the performance is good but obviously not stellar.Reliability,comfort,style,MPG are however all stellar.Keep a few extra bulbs on hand,change the oil and do regular maintenance and do what I am planning to do-keep driving this car for 300,000 miles and then decide if I should look for a new ride.

Beloved Car, great investment.
By ccolli17 on 02/28/12 12:50 PM (PST)

2004 Volvo S60 2.5T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

The 2004 Volvo S60 was my first Volvo, and will not be my last. It is my strong belief that the car has saved my life twice, and has also had minimal problems, especially for someone as hard on cars as I am. I bought the car in 2008 with only 28,000k on it, and put 89,000k on it in a 3-year time frame (117,000 k by 2012). The car withstood 2 minor accidents and 2 major accidents. During the time I owned the car, I replaced a fuel sensor that was a factory recall, one battery, one break job, tires when necessary, and all other replacements were due to car accidents- pretty amazing for 89,000k miles of use.

Volvo S60 2.5T 2004dc
By DCottrill on 07/20/10 07:23 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo S60 2.5T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought this car as it was being "pulled" off the truck. It has been an excellent vehicle these past 7 years with no maintenance issues. I have followed the mfg guidelines for service, every 7,500 miles, and it continues to run like a top as they say. A most recent 1,800 mile round trip to S.C. from Ohio averaged 32.3 mpg including some city driving. The only drawback would be the leg room in the rear seating area, but trunk space is huge for this size of vehicle. I plan on keeping this vehicle for another 130,000 miles. I hope the new owners of Volvo don't change a thing on quality!

Love it!
By R you ready? on 06/16/10 18:33 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo S60 R 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I love this car despite the quirks mentioned in other reviews. It's great on the highway, not so great in parking lots, but overall very suitable as a daily driver if you want fun. I love the overall driving experience including the steering wheel, pedals, and seat. In the black sapphire color, with a fresh coat of wax it looks brand new and sexy even after 6 years. The leather looks almost new. I like the rain-sensing wipers, automatic headlights, 3-position seat/mirror memory, push-button adjustable suspension ("4c"), and wheel- mounted audio controls. The front bumper is too low and the turning radius is awful. My wife thinks the ride is harsh and the seats are too low.

anticipate high cost of ownership
By John on 05/01/10 10:54 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I am at 85K miles now. Repairs to date: all valves replaced, power steering pump replaced, multiple hoses replaced; etc. Far higher cost of ownership than prior cars; S60 was supposed to be a field proven model. I can't tell if my dealership is exploiting me or if the car is just built to fall apart. My other vehicle, a 97 Honda Civic, is bombproof - no major repairs, >> 100K miles. I will not buy another Volvo; for the price and maintenance, the math is not compelling.

better alternatives
By not for me on 02/01/10 18:56 PM (PST)

2004 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I've had this car for about 2 and a half years and am looking forward to getting rid of it. I traded in an f 150 for this car because of gas mileage and I still wanted 4wd. I've spent over 6k in repairs, keeping the truck was a better idea. It looks good on the outside, but with new tires and awd winters are still difficult. Gas mileage is good but too many awkward things. When I turn left it makes an odd noise, but drives fine. The carpet inside has torn in odd places. If I use the cd/cassette player the drivers side speakers don't work. I cant warm my car up without being in it because you cant lock the doors with the other keyless remove with the car running. I wont be buying another

Sweet
By ATY on 11/12/09 11:11 AM (PST)

2004 Volvo S60 2.4 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I enjoy driving this car and plan to keep for at least 10 years or more since I only put 10K miles per year on the car. Besides $ for oil changes, I purchased a new set of TSW rims that are powdered gray against the white car. I do have a recurring problem where the computer loses it program and the dealer has to download a new one, on three different occasions. Also, the turning radius is pathetic and the tires grind when turning too hard. But, it gets great MPG and drives like a dream. Also in the past 4 years I probably replaced 5 tail light bulbs?

Still Great After 75 Thousand Miles
By KPboy on 08/07/09 03:04 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo S60 2.4 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I got this S60 hoping it would be reliable, and it hasn't let me down. Year after year it has been problem free. After almost 6 full years of service, it has been the best car I have ever owned. I even live in a mountainous region with constant hill driving and braking, and the S60 manages quite nicely. The only money I have spent on this car since purchase has been for the regular maintenance intervals. If you are looking for something rock solid when it comes to safety and reliability, then this one is the absolute best. I would know, ive had 2 benzes, a BMW and an Audi. This one impresses me more than any of those.