2003 Volvo S60 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S60 model:
Buyer Beware
By Soon Ex-Volvo owner on 10/01/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.5T AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This car has the worst quality of any I have owned! In the two years I have owned this car it has been in the shop four times for warranty work and has completely broken down where Volvo had to tow it to a dealership. Prior to owning this car I WAS a loyal Volvo driver. If you buy this model, proceed with caution.

Great Car
By Pittsburgh Sean on 07/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

My wife and I leased the S60 2.4T. This car isn't perfect, but we love it none the less. None of the quirks we have found in it would cause us not to get the car again. I would have probably preferred a 3 series, but ruled it out because of rear-wheel drive and that arrogant stereo-type of BMW drivers. There are some things that I would have expected to be a little better in a car of this price (stickered at $36,000). The engine is kind of noisey. In my opinion, it should be whisper quiet. Also, when the AC compressor kicks on, you know it. I wish the car had more "nooks and crannies" to put stuff in. Storage space in the cabin is at a premium.

My 1st Volvo
By RRomanel on 03/26/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Several of my friends have owned Volvos for years. I never liked the older "box" type models. The S60 is a real good looking cars. Great features and the it has the best seats you'll ever sit in. Don't let the 168 hp worry you -- the engine has plenty of power and torque. Very nice ride.

I think I like it.
By CeeCee22 on 03/15/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I tried to install an alarm system and the anti-theft system already present seems to clash with the new alarm system. I'm still dealing with getting that worked out. Also, I live 150 miles from closest dealership and I've been told that since I'm still under factory warranty I will have to return to the dealership should any issues arise. I was told something TOTALLY different at the time of sale. So I feel a little bit misled. As for the car itself. It drives ok. I love the way it looks and have wanted a Volvo for years. A little disappointed with the ride and handling. I thought it would be slightly better.

Ellen's review
By elhello on 02/03/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.5T AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I'm thrilled with the handling of y S60. It hugs the road & didn't slip in the ice. I feel very safe with the car, besides the fact that it's fun to drive. The driver seat is extremely comfortable too.

If not for a couple of things...
By Dan on 12/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.5T AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

A couple of things... After about 6 months the car loosened up a little. I have a rattle in the dash and a leather rubbing on leather sound coming from the back seat. Also, when opting to shift the geartronic transmision yourself, it isnt that responsive, which makes it less fun.

Great S 60
By spagtio on 11/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Excellent value - great ride, safety features, styling. The car has a great road feel, good power balance and good fuel economy. The clutch requires the least effort I've ever experienced!

AWD says it all
By SaigonBob on 10/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.5T AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I purchased my 2003 S60 2.5T AWD December 2002. The winter of 2002/03 was the worst in decades. Snow. First time user of an AWD. The only cars on the road were snow plows, suv's, cars that people couldn't care less if they got into a wreck and my volvo. In wet or dry weather it is fun to drive. I like the body style, interior is nicely designed, dashboard and countor of the front panel gauges are attractive, geartronic is a must, good power and excelleration, ride is a little hard, the drivers seat is down to a science and it does not look like other cars on the road. Hey, if I win the lotto I'll get a Mercedes SL500, for now I'm happy with my Volvo.

Great Car!
By Ldolph on 10/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Got the S60ASR six months and 10K miles ago. Loved everyminute of it. I do lots of highway driving for my job and it's a pleasure to cruise in. Quiet cabin, great standard sound system, plenty of get-up-and-go power. Love the distinctive styling. I've had a ton of compliments - "That's a VOLVO??--COOL!"

Misterious Coldstart reaction
By elvira on 10/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volvo S60 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

I now own a 2003 S60 T5. My first try was a new 2002 S60T5 which was returned to Volvo because when cold starting the vehicle and placing it in gear the car would "choke" and jump. Now our 2003, brand new volvo S60 T5 is doing the same thing and the dealership cannot find what the problem is. This is very frustrating since i'm paying a fortune for the car, and my confidence in the reliability of the vehicle has been blemished. I'm truly dissapointed in the ability of checking the vehicles system for faults, since Volvo appears unable to detect the fault.