2003 Volvo S60 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S60 model:
Reliable, Safe, Fast, great MPG
By Lois on 08/02/08 11:14 AM (PDT)

2003 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Best vehicle I have ever owned. Ultra-reliable! Have 100K miles and have put nothing but brakes, tires, filters, bulbs and one O2 sensor in the car. Find me a toyota or honda that is that reliable, I dare you! Still as fast as the day I bought it. Gets 33 MPG on the highway at 75 mph. Still looks like new, leather looks perfect, everything works. Why they do not hold their value, no idea. Easily will get 250K miles and still be beautiful doing it. Highly recommend as a used gem of a car. Why buy a used camry or accord for more money, when you can get a loaded Volvo that gets better mpgs!

Great used value. Safe and sporty
By Popps on 06/10/08 22:44 PM (PDT)

2003 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I love my S60, even with its flaws. In my opinion, the best looking body of any sports sedan. Great reliability history, especially for a Volvo. Let's hope they continue this trend. Ride is good. Peppy, but I'd prefer a bit more power. (I have 2.4T) Interior design is fine, but could be a bit more refined for a luxury sedan. (See Infiniti) Gas mileage is surprisingly good. An excellent used value, as Volvo's don't hold value like a BMW/Mercedes. Again, it's not perfect, but I love mine and doubt you'll do any better for the money in the used market.

So Far so Good S60
By Fredericksburg Steve on 02/06/06 13:10 PM (PST)

2003 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I just bought my S60 2.4T about 10 days ago. It was a certified car and coincidentally, it had 3 years or 56K miles, whichever comes first, of B-to-B warranty remaining the day I bought it (1/28/2006). I wanted to buy a certified BMW 330i or a 325i but they were just too expensive. Nonetheless, my quest for a European sports sedan led me to the Volvo dealer and a test drive in my metallic silver S60 with the 17" "Stentor" wheels and Continental ContactSport II tires. I am very pleased so far with my S60 and I do like the "auto-stick" feature of the Geartronic transmission. The front seats are most comfortable and the memory settings please my wife also. I think I made the right choice.

Still glad I did buy it.
By pj650 on 01/31/06 11:52 AM (PST)

2003 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I still love getting in and driving my car. The interior looks 10 fold better with the woodgrain package which I have. I solved the radio display by getting the windows a mild tint. The rattle I heard was coming from the spare not tight enough. All is well now.

Great Car
By Pittsburgh Sean on 07/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

My wife and I leased the S60 2.4T. This car isn't perfect, but we love it none the less. None of the quirks we have found in it would cause us not to get the car again. I would have probably preferred a 3 series, but ruled it out because of rear-wheel drive and that arrogant stereo-type of BMW drivers. There are some things that I would have expected to be a little better in a car of this price (stickered at $36,000). The engine is kind of noisey. In my opinion, it should be whisper quiet. Also, when the AC compressor kicks on, you know it. I wish the car had more "nooks and crannies" to put stuff in. Storage space in the cabin is at a premium.

First Impressions
By SF Bay Area Randy on 08/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I admit that I never thought I would buy a Volvo. The end of year incentives made me give it a look. Those incentives allowed me to get a 2.4T with sport, luxury, and touring package for under $30K. I kind of like the distinctive styling. Around San Fran Bay Area, 90% of the cars are Honda, Toyota or BMWs. I am glad I at least got something semi- unique. It is a nice car that has decent power. I am a little wary of how it will hold up, given some of the comments in here, but I tend to treat cars gently so I think it will last a long time. The gas mileage is OK. The fronts seats are very nice.

Don't Buy Volvo S60
By cward13 on 07/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I have made several trips to the Service Department to repair the STC system. Overall the quality of the car is extremely poor, performance is very average. The only attribute this car has is comfortable front seats. Interior engine sound is very noisy. Nothing quite like a car that audibly lets you know that it hates bumps in the road. Transmission doesn't shift right. Any favorable rating on this site must of come from the dealerships.

Quite the cruiser..
By Bap106 on 07/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

My wife and I enjoy road travel, and this car has shown us that it is capable of cruising for hours without breaking a sweat. You quickly realize the car just seems to eat up the pavement. We especially enjoy the comfort in knowing the safety features are there...just in case you may need them.

Not too pleased with my S60 2.4T
By mikey1atl on 07/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I have been to the dealer several times about the following issues. 1. Transmission jerks when shifting between lower gears. Your head jerks against the headrests at slower speeds, like between stop lights. Also, hesitates off the line 2. When the a/c compressor kicks in it makes a rattling sound that is loud enough to be heard over talk radio! 3. Creaking sounds in the cabin. 4. Steering off center, have to hold it at start. All repeated problems over my 5800 miles.

Love this car
By ladyjean on 05/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This is my 5th Volvo and I couldn't be more pleased. Every time I buy a new car I test drive similar makes but always come back to the Volvo. My last Volvo was the S40; I wanted a bit more room and luxury and the S60 delivers on both. I chose the titanium grey with taupe leather. I look forward to driving it, it's responsive, comfortable, fun and great to look at. My favorite Volvo by far!!