Used 2003 Volvo S60 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 81 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Volvo S60 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2003 Volvo S60 Sedan

View reviews for a specific S60 model:

A wolf in sheep's clothing
By Herb M

2003 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.5T AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought mine used with 155K. Solid traction and road handling. Great in the snow. Peppy and powerful. Love the body style. Best looking sedan on the road! Fun to drive.
It's a sensible 4dr. sedan... that can do 0-60 in under 7 seconds and can cruise down the autobahn at over 150 mph!
After fixing some common S60 problems (ie; creaking/clunking front strut mounts and sway bar end links) the car drives like new again. I have done some minor upgrades like poly bushings, engine mounts, and chassis braces which have noticeably improved the soft/squishy handling.
I like the stereo, the triptonic shifting, comfortable (front) seats, and power most of all.

Most problems & expensive repairs I've ever experienced
By buddynbrandy

2003 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.5T AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought this car in the hopes it would last a long time. Acceleration sensor went out, the car wouldnt move at take off. About got me killed. $250-$300 to repair. Transmission has slipped since I bought it at 4 years old in 2007. It's getting worse, all fluids, etc have been checked, I have taken excellent care of this car, maint. etc. I heard a strange clanking noise, come to find out, I needed a drive shaft, which was $1400.00 to repair. I have to sell this thing to keep from having to spend thousands on a new transmission. I noticed that it's using more gas as time goes on. Never again. I get sick to stomach. Don't buy one, go honda or toyota... Warning: Money Pit!

Comfy, love the leather & beautiful body style.

Fix transmission problems.

Are you kidding me?
By Scot

2003 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.5T AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

We bought this car in 2003. It was a safe sporty family car. Shortly there after the problems began. First electrical and module problems, which cost us $2,000. Then transmission problems, followed by sounds from the brakes, and some other misc. things I didn't understand, repairs quoted at $8,000. That's 3 years and $10,000 in repairs. Topped off with an electrical system failure, that required it to be towed to the shop. I am now waiting for for my latest quote, which I imagine won't be cheap, because the only thing cheap on this car is the quality. If you read any good reviews on this car they were written by a dealership. Run away as fast as you can!

I can still part it out and maybe get some money back.

Burn them all. So no one else gets burned like us.

Great commuter car
By agr_msu

2003 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

This is my wife's car, she absolutely loves it. She commutes about 70 miles a day each way and the car is comfortable, reliable, and looks good to her peers. We love the manual transmission and regularly get 32 mpg. Our only complaint is that the backseat is a tight fit for a baby/infant seat. It holds adults fine.

Manual transmission, styling, reliability, power everything.

We would like a little more room for that infant seat.

2003 S60 AWD
By ed

2003 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.5T AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Bought mine used. Put 60k on it in not quite 4 years. Nothing major has ever gone wrong with this car. I love the car. The interior is downright swank. Heated seats are the bomb, Acceleration is surprisingly powerful, mileage is average or a hair less than I would have expected (26 mpg). Yes, it's noisy. If that bugs you, it'll be too much for you. If not, the car is awesome. And if you have kids, you'll feel very responsible while still having a sporty, fun, and good looking car.

Transmission, heated seats, leather seats, wood grain, handling in snow, acceleration, dependability, great looking exterior, easy access controls, and safety.

Rear view visibility, noise.