Used 2003 Volvo S60 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S60 model:

Most problems & expensive repairs I've ever experienced
By buddynbrandy

2003 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought this car in the hopes it would last a long time. Acceleration sensor went out, the car wouldnt move at take off. About got me killed. $250-$300 to repair. Transmission has slipped since I bought it at 4 years old in 2007. It's getting worse, all fluids, etc have been checked, I have taken excellent care of this car, maint. etc. I heard a strange clanking noise, come to find out, I needed a drive shaft, which was $1400.00 to repair. I have to sell this thing to keep from having to spend thousands on a new transmission. I noticed that it's using more gas as time goes on. Never again. I get sick to stomach. Don't buy one, go honda or toyota... Warning: Money Pit!

Favorite Features

Comfy, love the leather & beautiful body style.

Suggested Improvements

Fix transmission problems.

Are you kidding me?
By Scot

2003 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

We bought this car in 2003. It was a safe sporty family car. Shortly there after the problems began. First electrical and module problems, which cost us $2,000. Then transmission problems, followed by sounds from the brakes, and some other misc. things I didn't understand, repairs quoted at $8,000. That's 3 years and $10,000 in repairs. Topped off with an electrical system failure, that required it to be towed to the shop. I am now waiting for for my latest quote, which I imagine won't be cheap, because the only thing cheap on this car is the quality. If you read any good reviews on this car they were written by a dealership. Run away as fast as you can!

Favorite Features

I can still part it out and maybe get some money back.

Suggested Improvements

Burn them all. So no one else gets burned like us.

Great commuter car
By agr_msu

2003 Volvo S60 2.4 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

This is my wife's car, she absolutely loves it. She commutes about 70 miles a day each way and the car is comfortable, reliable, and looks good to her peers. We love the manual transmission and regularly get 32 mpg. Our only complaint is that the backseat is a tight fit for a baby/infant seat. It holds adults fine.

Favorite Features

Manual transmission, styling, reliability, power everything.

Suggested Improvements

We would like a little more room for that infant seat.

2003 S60 AWD
By ed

2003 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Bought mine used. Put 60k on it in not quite 4 years. Nothing major has ever gone wrong with this car. I love the car. The interior is downright swank. Heated seats are the bomb, Acceleration is surprisingly powerful, mileage is average or a hair less than I would have expected (26 mpg). Yes, it's noisy. If that bugs you, it'll be too much for you. If not, the car is awesome. And if you have kids, you'll feel very responsible while still having a sporty, fun, and good looking car.

Favorite Features

Transmission, heated seats, leather seats, wood grain, handling in snow, acceleration, dependability, great looking exterior, easy access controls, and safety.

Suggested Improvements

Rear view visibility, noise.

One of the best cars I have ever had
By L.A. Philip

2003 Volvo S60 2.4 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Of all the cars I have ever owned this is one of my favorites. This is a solid built very comfortable car. I would suggest the power seat package. The interior can look kind of drab, I have the extra wood kit and it makes a 100% difference in the look of the dash and interior I typically only keep a car 3 to 4 years I have had this one going on 6 years and still enjoy driving it. The car is great in bad weather, you hit the W mode and the car grips the road in heavy rain. The rear fog light gets people to back off tailgating in the heavy fog. On the freeway for road trips I get about 30 MPG, in town I average about 19 MPG. The 60/40 split folding back seat is nice to have.

Favorite Features

The driver's seat is the best I have ever sat in, more comfortable then Lexus, BMW and MBZ seats. I would suggest the power seat package. This car is very sure footed in the rain.

Suggested Improvements

Rear seat leg room, the trunk is large but a small trunk lid so not the best access to the trunk space. The gas door hinge is plastic and breaks at about 5 years old.