2003 Volvo S60 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S60 model:
Most problems & expensive repairs I've ever experienced
By buddynbrandy on 03/10/13 08:36 AM (PDT)

2003 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought this car in the hopes it would last a long time. Acceleration sensor went out, the car wouldnt move at take off. About got me killed. $250-$300 to repair. Transmission has slipped since I bought it at 4 years old in 2007. It's getting worse, all fluids, etc have been checked, I have taken excellent care of this car, maint. etc. I heard a strange clanking noise, come to find out, I needed a drive shaft, which was $1400.00 to repair. I have to sell this thing to keep from having to spend thousands on a new transmission. I noticed that it's using more gas as time goes on. Never again. I get sick to stomach. Don't buy one, go honda or toyota... Warning: Money Pit!

Are you kidding me?
By Scot on 09/02/10 16:53 PM (PDT)

2003 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

We bought this car in 2003. It was a safe sporty family car. Shortly there after the problems began. First electrical and module problems, which cost us $2,000. Then transmission problems, followed by sounds from the brakes, and some other misc. things I didn't understand, repairs quoted at $8,000. That's 3 years and $10,000 in repairs. Topped off with an electrical system failure, that required it to be towed to the shop. I am now waiting for for my latest quote, which I imagine won't be cheap, because the only thing cheap on this car is the quality. If you read any good reviews on this car they were written by a dealership. Run away as fast as you can!

Great commuter car
By agr_msu on 01/11/10 08:05 AM (PST)

2003 Volvo S60 2.4 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

This is my wife's car, she absolutely loves it. She commutes about 70 miles a day each way and the car is comfortable, reliable, and looks good to her peers. We love the manual transmission and regularly get 32 mpg. Our only complaint is that the backseat is a tight fit for a baby/infant seat. It holds adults fine.

2003 S60 AWD
By ed on 01/24/09 07:54 AM (PST)

2003 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Bought mine used. Put 60k on it in not quite 4 years. Nothing major has ever gone wrong with this car. I love the car. The interior is downright swank. Heated seats are the bomb, Acceleration is surprisingly powerful, mileage is average or a hair less than I would have expected (26 mpg). Yes, it's noisy. If that bugs you, it'll be too much for you. If not, the car is awesome. And if you have kids, you'll feel very responsible while still having a sporty, fun, and good looking car.

One of the best cars I have ever had
By L.A. Philip on 01/13/09 12:36 PM (PST)

2003 Volvo S60 2.4 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Of all the cars I have ever owned this is one of my favorites. This is a solid built very comfortable car. I would suggest the power seat package. The interior can look kind of drab, I have the extra wood kit and it makes a 100% difference in the look of the dash and interior I typically only keep a car 3 to 4 years I have had this one going on 6 years and still enjoy driving it. The car is great in bad weather, you hit the “W” mode and the car grips the road in heavy rain. The rear fog light gets people to back off tailgating in the heavy fog. On the freeway for road trips I get about 30 MPG, in town I average about 19 MPG. The 60/40 split folding back seat is nice to have.

Buyer Beware
By NH WInter on 01/02/09 12:34 PM (PST)

2003 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

When I purchased my S60 AWD I thought it was going to be a great vehicle. I was wrong. Looks great, but many, many nickel & dime mechanical problems, which are both time consuming and expensive if you take it to the dealer each time. Traded an Acura CL for the Volvo, never again

Nice car, horrible reliability
By D on 12/18/08 20:06 PM (PST)

2003 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

The S60 has a solid, safe feel, which is ironic as it rattles constantly due to the harsh ride. The design inside and out is fantastic and timeless. Interior quality and ease of controls are excellent, but lacks storage space. Comfort is great, but legroom is tight in back. Visibility is horrendous, as is low speed maneuvering. The car is fun to drive when its pushed hard. Reliability is unacceptable. I've replaced the starter motor, sensors, seat memory, and a bunch of other computer related things I don't know how to explain. The transmission is dying. The auto wipers have a mind of its own, as do the interior lights and the fuel gauge. The car makes lots of weird noises.

Reliable, Safe, Fast, great MPG
By Lois on 08/02/08 11:14 AM (PDT)

2003 Volvo S60 2.4T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Best vehicle I have ever owned. Ultra-reliable! Have 100K miles and have put nothing but brakes, tires, filters, bulbs and one O2 sensor in the car. Find me a toyota or honda that is that reliable, I dare you! Still as fast as the day I bought it. Gets 33 MPG on the highway at 75 mph. Still looks like new, leather looks perfect, everything works. Why they do not hold their value, no idea. Easily will get 250K miles and still be beautiful doing it. Highly recommend as a used gem of a car. Why buy a used camry or accord for more money, when you can get a loaded Volvo that gets better mpgs!

Great used value. Safe and sporty
By Popps on 06/10/08 22:44 PM (PDT)

2003 Volvo S60 2.4T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I love my S60, even with its flaws. In my opinion, the best looking body of any sports sedan. Great reliability history, especially for a Volvo. Let's hope they continue this trend. Ride is good. Peppy, but I'd prefer a bit more power. (I have 2.4T) Interior design is fine, but could be a bit more refined for a luxury sedan. (See Infiniti) Gas mileage is surprisingly good. An excellent used value, as Volvo's don't hold value like a BMW/Mercedes. Again, it's not perfect, but I love mine and doubt you'll do any better for the money in the used market.

Solid Car
By Nikki on 11/22/07 15:24 PM (PST)

2003 Volvo S60 2.4 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I am on my third volvo and they have maintained their high level of quality. I continue to be impressed with the comfort and useability of the interior. The performance is lacking the oomph that many newer cars have. Great highway gas mileage (I get around 36 MPG highway). The backseat is lacking leg room, but is comfortable with two adults, three is a squeeze. I recommend Volvo to those looking for a comfortable, reliable car.