2002 Volvo S60 2.4L 5-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - Fun, comfort, annoying quality issues

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan - Consumer Review

Fun, comfort, annoying quality issues
By RAS on

2002 Volvo S60 2.4 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Exceptional value for the price. Styling, comfort, safe and firm feel all make this a pleasure to own. We did experience many problems that were annoying, but the overall experience overshadows the design and quality shortfalls. I am considering a newer (2007) S60 AWD purchase and will likely keep this one for my daughter to use. Front wheel drive was just adequate in snow. Next time I'd buy AWD. Transmission shift problem required three dealer visits to fix during early warranty period. Fuel filler door broke off. Headlamps and tail light bulbs constantly burn out.

Favorite Features

Heated front seats are the best we've ever had. No discomfort on long trips. Adequate interior space for average sized people. Trunk fits a surprising amount of luggage. Great sound system. Good, firm feel in the steering system that stayed that way. Styling, fuel economy and paint finish are great.

Suggested Improvements

Contour of doors is very prone to heavy dings in parking lots. Needs better protection. I like the daytime running lights, but do something to extend bulb life. Burned out bulbs defeat this safety feature. Headlamp wipers are cute, but unnecessary. Give me a bunch of spare bulbs instead.