Used 2002 Volvo S60 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 138 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan

View reviews for a specific S60 model:

Fun, comfort, annoying quality issues
By RAS

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Exceptional value for the price. Styling, comfort, safe and firm feel all make this a pleasure to own. We did experience many problems that were annoying, but the overall experience overshadows the design and quality shortfalls. I am considering a newer (2007) S60 AWD purchase and will likely keep this one for my daughter to use. Front wheel drive was just adequate in snow. Next time I'd buy AWD. Transmission shift problem required three dealer visits to fix during early warranty period. Fuel filler door broke off. Headlamps and tail light bulbs constantly burn out.

Heated front seats are the best we've ever had. No discomfort on long trips. Adequate interior space for average sized people. Trunk fits a surprising amount of luggage. Great sound system. Good, firm feel in the steering system that stayed that way. Styling, fuel economy and paint finish are great.

Contour of doors is very prone to heavy dings in parking lots. Needs better protection. I like the daytime running lights, but do something to extend bulb life. Burned out bulbs defeat this safety feature. Headlamp wipers are cute, but unnecessary. Give me a bunch of spare bulbs instead.

Original Owner, 6 yrs later, still love
By KentaJeff

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T AWD 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I have never kept a car this long, it is still as great as the day I bought it. The car is reliable, fast, and gets good gas mileage. The reliability, the big stuff is great, but I agree with others, my fuel door fell off, and I seem to replace a lot of brake lights. Other than that it has been very good. The engine uses no oil (I design engines for a living , I would know), it maintains very clean oil through the oil life, indications the rings and guides are in good shape still. The paint is amazing, I don't wax it because it seems to not need it, looks new still (not garaged for most of its life).

Love the 5 cylinder engine, plenty of kick with good economy. Interior is nice looking and comft, great stereo.

Gas fill lid. I love the styling, please dont ruin it in the future.

A Nice Upscale Vehicle
By Sunny Blue Skies

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I bought my 2002 S60 in 2004. The car already had 75,000 miles on it from being a corporate lease vehicle. I was a bit leery at first to pay a higher price for such high miles. So far, I have had the small things wrong. Repair is fairly comparable if you get it done at a non-dealer repair shop. Sad to say the repair shop I took mine to for most of my ownership, ruined my oil drain plug opening, and now I am faced with an $800 repair for a new pan as the hole can not be repaired. Also the fuel door hinge broke and now I have to place the door on the trunk at fill up, but that part is only 10 bucks and I will repair myself. Overall its an ok car, hopefully Volvo has improved any issues.

All owners can agree on the seats! I like the stock audio system and auto headlights. I also like the Volvo safety features. I live now in the desert so we will see how it holds up in the 116 degree temps!

Please make the fuel door hinge better! That is a weird part to have fail. Also a little more oomph on the standard base 2.4 engine without a turbocharger. Also improvements on the electrical system. Most people would like more rear leg room, but that is what the S80 is for : )

2002 S60 T5
By Pau

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

Great all-round performer. Have owned since new. Only to shop for basic maintenance except for recent A/C issue. Have owned Mercedes E Class and 5 series BMW that spent much more time for repairs. Go for the T5 or R model, just watch the torque steer. I never thought a Volvo could perform this well. At nearly 60000 miles it still runs strong as new.

HP, handling.

How about RWD for a sports sedan?

Fuel efficiency and good quality.
By Chris

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I highly recommend the Volvo S60. It's an affordable, reliable and fuel-efficient car that looks and handles like a much more expensive vehicle. The 5 cylinder NA engine won't set any records at the racetrack but it will still get you where you want to go. The quality of manufacture is excellent, nothing feels or looks cheap, except the faux wood paneling in the interior. The key access port for unlocking the truck is badly placed and difficult to get to, but you'll probably use the remote entry anyway. The anti-theft alarm is hit or miss. It tends to go off at the strangest times, even if the car is unlocked. The fuel economy is excellent, I average 28 mpg highway.

The automatic-memory power driver's seat is excellent, it saves much aggravation when a friend or relative adjusts the seat. The steering wheel audio controls are a must-have.

The rear seat has very little leg room, perhaps a few inches could be shaved off the very deep trunk. The headlight modes are a bit redundant, I would suggest the adding of traditional day-time running lights instead of the current always-on setup.