Used 2002 Volvo S60 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 137 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan

View reviews for a specific S60 model:

Great Car
By bkrueger

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Volvo is a great automobile company. If you are considering an A4, C-Class, IS300, 3-Series, it is another great alternative. Good performance, turbo is a lot of fun on the highway. Gas mileage is usually aroung 25 city 30- 33 highway (Depends how you drive). Interior is small in the back but i dont care because im the driver and it is awesome in the front. Interior is also very nicely appointed. Sound system rocks. Good car all around i have an ECU upgrade so that makes the car even more fun to drive.

Sound system, exterior, turbo

Better cupholders, Xenon Lights standard,

I'm never buying a different car!
By ikey

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

The S60 has been a pleasure to drive. 247HP out of a turbo 2.3L I-5 is quite impressive and it is very reasonable with fuel. My mixed average is 25MPG, which is comparable to that of smaller cars. A lot of attention has been given to details and the build quality; it feels solid and is a quiet ride. The outside design is tasteful and simple and the interior is nicely laid out and ergonomic.

Design and appearance, performance, build quality.

The interior door handles feel a bit flimsy, the glove box is a bit small, add ipod/aux input, improve side coverage from the sun visor.

My favorite car ever
By Michael

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

I do love my Volvo. It is so incredibly comfortable. The seat fits me perfectly and for once I don't have to tilt my head back to find the headrest. The premium sound system is outstanding. My only concerns about the car are the fact that I have probably changed lightbulbs (mainly in the rear) about 10 times in 2 years. I am not too pleased with the gas mileage as I seem to average 22 per gallon. The car drives great, is very quiet, and is styled beautifully.

The seats, the styling, the ride.

Lightbulb life, the radio is a bit confusing to set, but that has been changed in newer models.

S60 High maintenance
By steve

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Did you know the Volvo dealership considers your 100K mile S60 high mileage? Once this car hits 100K, it falls apart. Transmissions will fail no matter how well you maintain it. $4500. Road noise even with high dollar tires. You can forget trying to do any of your own maintenanve. $1700 for brake pads and rortor? Good gosh. Did not realize a 5 cyl turbo could be such an underperformer either. No more Volvos for me.

None. It's my wifes car. She picked it out, but I get to hear about of all the problems.

Transmissions. Drive train.

Fun, comfort, annoying quality issues
By RAS

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Exceptional value for the price. Styling, comfort, safe and firm feel all make this a pleasure to own. We did experience many problems that were annoying, but the overall experience overshadows the design and quality shortfalls. I am considering a newer (2007) S60 AWD purchase and will likely keep this one for my daughter to use. Front wheel drive was just adequate in snow. Next time I'd buy AWD. Transmission shift problem required three dealer visits to fix during early warranty period. Fuel filler door broke off. Headlamps and tail light bulbs constantly burn out.

Heated front seats are the best we've ever had. No discomfort on long trips. Adequate interior space for average sized people. Trunk fits a surprising amount of luggage. Great sound system. Good, firm feel in the steering system that stayed that way. Styling, fuel economy and paint finish are great.

Contour of doors is very prone to heavy dings in parking lots. Needs better protection. I like the daytime running lights, but do something to extend bulb life. Burned out bulbs defeat this safety feature. Headlamp wipers are cute, but unnecessary. Give me a bunch of spare bulbs instead.