Used 2002 Volvo S60 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S60 model:

My favorite car ever
By Michael

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

I do love my Volvo. It is so incredibly comfortable. The seat fits me perfectly and for once I don't have to tilt my head back to find the headrest. The premium sound system is outstanding. My only concerns about the car are the fact that I have probably changed lightbulbs (mainly in the rear) about 10 times in 2 years. I am not too pleased with the gas mileage as I seem to average 22 per gallon. The car drives great, is very quiet, and is styled beautifully.

The seats, the styling, the ride.

Lightbulb life, the radio is a bit confusing to set, but that has been changed in newer models.

S60 High maintenance
By steve

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Did you know the Volvo dealership considers your 100K mile S60 high mileage? Once this car hits 100K, it falls apart. Transmissions will fail no matter how well you maintain it. $4500. Road noise even with high dollar tires. You can forget trying to do any of your own maintenanve. $1700 for brake pads and rortor? Good gosh. Did not realize a 5 cyl turbo could be such an underperformer either. No more Volvos for me.

None. It's my wifes car. She picked it out, but I get to hear about of all the problems.

Transmissions. Drive train.

Fun, comfort, annoying quality issues
By RAS

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Exceptional value for the price. Styling, comfort, safe and firm feel all make this a pleasure to own. We did experience many problems that were annoying, but the overall experience overshadows the design and quality shortfalls. I am considering a newer (2007) S60 AWD purchase and will likely keep this one for my daughter to use. Front wheel drive was just adequate in snow. Next time I'd buy AWD. Transmission shift problem required three dealer visits to fix during early warranty period. Fuel filler door broke off. Headlamps and tail light bulbs constantly burn out.

Heated front seats are the best we've ever had. No discomfort on long trips. Adequate interior space for average sized people. Trunk fits a surprising amount of luggage. Great sound system. Good, firm feel in the steering system that stayed that way. Styling, fuel economy and paint finish are great.

Contour of doors is very prone to heavy dings in parking lots. Needs better protection. I like the daytime running lights, but do something to extend bulb life. Burned out bulbs defeat this safety feature. Headlamp wipers are cute, but unnecessary. Give me a bunch of spare bulbs instead.

Original Owner, 6 yrs later, still love
By KentaJeff

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T AWD 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I have never kept a car this long, it is still as great as the day I bought it. The car is reliable, fast, and gets good gas mileage. The reliability, the big stuff is great, but I agree with others, my fuel door fell off, and I seem to replace a lot of brake lights. Other than that it has been very good. The engine uses no oil (I design engines for a living , I would know), it maintains very clean oil through the oil life, indications the rings and guides are in good shape still. The paint is amazing, I don't wax it because it seems to not need it, looks new still (not garaged for most of its life).

Love the 5 cylinder engine, plenty of kick with good economy. Interior is nice looking and comft, great stereo.

Gas fill lid. I love the styling, please dont ruin it in the future.

A Nice Upscale Vehicle
By Sunny Blue Skies

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I bought my 2002 S60 in 2004. The car already had 75,000 miles on it from being a corporate lease vehicle. I was a bit leery at first to pay a higher price for such high miles. So far, I have had the small things wrong. Repair is fairly comparable if you get it done at a non-dealer repair shop. Sad to say the repair shop I took mine to for most of my ownership, ruined my oil drain plug opening, and now I am faced with an $800 repair for a new pan as the hole can not be repaired. Also the fuel door hinge broke and now I have to place the door on the trunk at fill up, but that part is only 10 bucks and I will repair myself. Overall its an ok car, hopefully Volvo has improved any issues.

All owners can agree on the seats! I like the stock audio system and auto headlights. I also like the Volvo safety features. I live now in the desert so we will see how it holds up in the 116 degree temps!

Please make the fuel door hinge better! That is a weird part to have fail. Also a little more oomph on the standard base 2.4 engine without a turbocharger. Also improvements on the electrical system. Most people would like more rear leg room, but that is what the S80 is for : )

• SUV