2002 Volvo S60 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S60 model:
T5 - What A Drive!
By Volvo For Life on 12/23/04 04:13 AM (PST)

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

Following a thorough research process including safety, gas mileage, and long term cost of ownership (as compared with the BMW 325, Audi A4, VW Jetta, and Lexus IS300), the Volvo S60 T5 was an obvious choice. At 37K miles it is still every bit a great drive. Exterior styling has details like no chrome or visible radio antenna making for a truly classy profile from any view. The interior follows with plenty of leather, logical controls, two stage heated seats, and plenty of little stowage areas. The engine backs this up with linear and drama-free throttle response. The S60 R is quite a deal as well, but if you want a great substitute for substantially less money, the T5 is not lacking much.

Great look, great safety
By Junec on 11/16/04 11:28 AM (PST)

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

The Volvo S60 is the most favorite sports sedan I have ever owned. It has been problem free, is fun to drive, has great styling, and is very comfortable. The engine is powerful which in an urban area is important and the safety features like SIPS, side air bags, and seatbelts that will lock you in instaneously in an accident are second to none.

Was A Great Car
By kjb on 10/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T AWD 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

We bought this car under the preowned program. Had 14K miles when we got it. The car was wonderful. Surefooted during nasty weather and handled well (it had the 17" wheels on it but not the sport package). Local dealer service was excellent and we were always treated like royalty everytime we were in. Unfortunately, the car was rear ended by another driver doing 45- 55 MPH while I was sitting at a dead stop waiting for the car in front of me to turn left. The cars was totalled but I walked away with minimal physical injuries and no whiplash despite the ferocity of the impact. The other dirver's insurance adjuster couldn't believe someone walked away from the crash. Buy one it could save you.

Mixed bag
By Mugsy1499 on 10/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Was willing to pay extra, but should've paid attention. Features made way more sense in my S70, which was totaled. Loud road noise, no pre-set radio station buttons, clock and odometer off when key is off, big blind spots, transmission slips, door locks are slow & no choice of lock or unlock on door control - dumb! Has been in the shop over 10 times for transmission & a/c. Seatbelt chokes driver - cannot adjust. Even new wipers skip and squeal. Zippo rear leg room.

Fun Car!!
By NotASoccerMomCar! on 10/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought a Volvo S60 2.4T in Aug. 2002 with premium package, sport package, and touring package. This is a fun car to drive. I never thought I would buy a Volvo, but I really love this car. It has nice pick- up. The interior is very stylish. My only complaints are: with a 3 year old the back seat is small, the tires wear down quick (15,000) and are expensive, and I had a problem with an RPM sensor but Volvo fixed it in 2 days and provided a rental car. Overall, I would recommend this car to anyone who wants a fun sports car!

A Good Nice looking car
By llewis on 09/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I really enjoy my Volvo S60. The service from my local dealer is great! I have had some scheduled service done and they will take care of anything. Everything is covered by the Volvo warranty! My car was a certified used car so I can look forward to several more years of unparalled service. If you want a nice car with nice interior styling and a great safety record, this is the one.

IS IT WORTH IT
By Michael Lopes on 07/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T AWD 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I do have to say this car is very stylish and fun to drive. But, I have had many things go wrong with this car at only 55000 miles. The front wheel bearing needs replaced at a wopping $1200 and both rear and left front Link Rods need replaced at $400. As you can imagine I am not to happy with this as it is no longer under warrenty. According to Volvo Service, this does not happen often. When you spend this kind of money for a car this is one thing you do not expect. Therefore I do not give this car a thumbs up. I am just afraid this is a sign of what is to come as the miles continue to grow.

Don't think I'd buy another one.
By ratcher on 06/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This car is fine for someone who rarely transports more than one passenger unless the backseat is for kids. It drives well on all kinds of roads. The interior layout is okay; the stereo system is confusing and a pain to use. They needed to add a changer for the component as well as station/track on the steering wheel. The airconditioning system is also confusing. Blind spots make backing out an adventure, though the flip down rear head rests are helpful. The battery is nearly inaccessible in the trunk (you must hold the trunk floor up with your head to access it), though a jump point is located underneath the hood. Pricey for the quality of the car.

A Smart Person's Car
By Jakebird on 06/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

Though I haven't racked up a lot of miles, this is a reliable, sporty, true luxury sedan without the Lexus or BMW sticker shock. It could use a little tweaking of the interior (wood trim, for example), to put it into the true "luxury" class, but it is safe, fast, and a very reliable player for the money in the competitive mid-range luxury class. I do wish the mileage was a little better in the city, but my car it actually exceeds the EPA estimates on the highway. Finally, my last Volvo was traded running strong with 183K miles and expect the same here.

Beware of Customer Service
By Savvy Driver on 05/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

We bought this car new coz we loved the look and reputation of Volvo. However, we've had major customer service problems as well as electrical problems. Also, it is very difficult to see to change lanes due to the head rests in the back and the way the car frame is built.