2002 Volvo S60 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S60 model:
so NOT for life!
By DL on 10/20/09 16:06 PM (PDT)

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I will never set foot in a Volvo dealership again. First, an acorn cracked the windshield. My husband would NEVER have believed me if he had not been driving the car when it happened. Light bulbs have failed the entire 81,000 miles (I have lost count), gas door fell off, starter replaced TWICE (service says it may have more to do with the solenoid valve), oil pan is shot, car leaks oil. It is currently sitting in my driveway because it will not start for me to unload it on a trade.

Very Good Vehicle
By GP on 10/03/09 05:54 AM (PDT)

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I've had the car about 8 months. So far very reliable. It wants to run. Very, very comfortable car with great front seats. Stereo is excellent, climate controls intuitive. I've always had 5-speeds in sedans, but this automatic has me converted with its performance. The 5-cylinder is a good compromise of performance and economy. I'm getting 28 mpg [25 mile commute, cruising at 70 mph] with ample reserve power when needed.

Find a good mechanic
By Mike on 09/01/09 11:20 AM (PDT)

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

A fun car to drive, but with 85,000 miles I've had my list of problems. With extreme heat (like in Las Vegas) expect the "wood" interior paneling to peel off. Fuel cap door, like many other posts have said, will break. Don't bother fixing it....it will break again. Headlights, buy them in bulk because you will replace them every couple months. Dropped a pretty penny on struts, tires and brakes, but that is my fault for buying a used car without getting it checked out by a mechanic first. New battery, fuel pump, and fuel filter, and it still won't start until you try it a couple times. 20 mpg isn't quite what I had expected from a sedan.

a good allround car
By mark on 08/30/09 06:54 AM (PDT)

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I bought the 2002 s60 base model in 2003. This is by far the best vehicle I have ever owned. VERY SAFE! I worked for years in a trauma room and wanted a safe car and this is it. VERY comfortable too. Most comfy seats of ANY car! performance is fine for a comfort sedan, but its not a BMW, ppl! If u want a BMW sports car, but it. This is a comfort/safety car. VERY reliable. 6 years and NO problems! Upgraded foglights and headlights (replaced crappy ones with xenon). Luxurious, thick leather! Smooth, comfy ride. Feel safe, which u should in a volvo. Expensive maintenance, but well worth it. I am VERY happy with this. DO NOT buy the Turbo, u lose LOTS reselling it cuz they know u hotrodded it

Great Car For The Money!
By dingo686 on 08/25/09 15:02 PM (PDT)

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I have put 30k miles on mine and these are my impressions so far at 80K miles. I used to be a Honda guy but when I couldn't find a used one at a descent price I drove this car and boy am I glad I did. These cars have all the reliability of the Japanese cars but better fit and finish and quality. Just open and shut the doors of this car and you'll know what I'm talking about. Only problem I've had with this car is the fuel pump cracked but it is a recall item so I took it to the dealer and they replaced it no charge. I have replaced one daytime running lamp and the oil and that's it. To me you get the looks, feel, most of the peppiness and quality of a BMW 3 series but at half the price.

Throttle problem
By Adriano on 07/16/09 15:57 PM (PDT)

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

Got a problem at 94 k with throttle not working, needed ETM software upgrade and new accelerator pedal. I called Volvo and they said that this can happen with high mileage. Did not think that 94k is that high for a Volvo.

Awful in Snow
By BarbB on 04/29/09 10:18 AM (PDT)

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T AWD 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I like the look and the comfort of the Volvo - love the leather heated seats - but it handles terribly in snow. I am petrified to drive it in winter - have slid through intersections, need to crawl on the highway, etc. I bought the AWD thinking it would be good in poor road conditions but quite the opposite is true. I needed a car quickly to replace my beloved Nissan Sentra that was totaled in a hail storm. I jumped on the used Volvo based mostly on a friend's recommendation. Now I can't wait to get rid of it. Also, the AM radio never worked properly. And repairs cost an arm and a leg. Never again, Volvo.

Beauty lasts so long
By omid on 02/02/09 16:54 PM (PST)

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

The car rides comfortably. The seat grabs your body and makes for great long trips. The exterior is well designed. The trunk is full of space and I've moved several times with the car. Rear passengers are really comfortable. The two plugs are great. Other than that the car is a pain. Things that shouldn't ever go bad, go bad on the model. I've changed the brake booster and front suspension and O2 sensor. It would have been nice if the O2 sensor had lasted a bit long. The repairs are really pricey too. The stock stereo is plagued, either the speakers blow easily or the stereo gets tired of your music. My heart wants a new Volvo but my mind knows a reliable cheaper to fix car might be better.

Great Car
By bkrueger on 12/04/08 15:44 PM (PST)

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Volvo is a great automobile company. If you are considering an A4, C-Class, IS300, 3-Series, it is another great alternative. Good performance, turbo is a lot of fun on the highway. Gas mileage is usually aroung 25 city 30- 33 highway (Depends how you drive). Interior is small in the back but i dont care because im the driver and it is awesome in the front. Interior is also very nicely appointed. Sound system rocks. Good car all around i have an ECU upgrade so that makes the car even more fun to drive.

I'm never buying a different car!
By ikey on 09/13/08 21:06 PM (PDT)

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

The S60 has been a pleasure to drive. 247HP out of a turbo 2.3L I-5 is quite impressive and it is very reasonable with fuel. My mixed average is 25MPG, which is comparable to that of smaller cars. A lot of attention has been given to details and the build quality; it feels solid and is a quiet ride. The outside design is tasteful and simple and the interior is nicely laid out and ergonomic.