Used 2002 Volvo S60 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Most Helpful|
Owned mine for 8 years
By johnc8551

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought my 2002 S60 used with 21K miles on it in 2004. It now has 110,000 miles on the odo, and I've passed it along to my stepdaughter as her college car. I get it serviced regularly and it has not been overly expensive to maintain through my local Firestone service center. It's been an overall dependable car with only a few age related failures, such as alternator, water pump, strut mounts, etc. Nothing too big at all. The one gremlin this car has, and it seems to be rather common with this series, is that it eats tail light and headlight bulbs on a regular basis. However, these are easy to replace by the owner, and I now keep spares stashed with the spare tire in the trunk.

Favorite Features

All Wheel Drive, uses mid-grade (87+) gas, comfortable interior, spacious trunk, adequate power, dependable transportation.

Suggested Improvements

The radio has no pre-set buttons. Eats light bulbs.

First car
By mostar94

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This was my first car, and sadly had to be ruined by a rear ender :( Overall great car, great safety features, good performance. The only downside I can see is being somewhat pricey when I first bought it (2007), as well as a boring and somewhat small interior. Overall great car, you will be missed bud!

Favorite Features

Styling, performance, safety.

My favorite car ever
By Michael

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

I do love my Volvo. It is so incredibly comfortable. The seat fits me perfectly and for once I don't have to tilt my head back to find the headrest. The premium sound system is outstanding. My only concerns about the car are the fact that I have probably changed lightbulbs (mainly in the rear) about 10 times in 2 years. I am not too pleased with the gas mileage as I seem to average 22 per gallon. The car drives great, is very quiet, and is styled beautifully.

Favorite Features

The seats, the styling, the ride.

Suggested Improvements

Lightbulb life, the radio is a bit confusing to set, but that has been changed in newer models.

Cool and Reliable Car
By shop74

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I purchased mine 5 years ago used at a Volvo dealership with 55k miles on it. No major problems with it whats so ever. I replaced the alternator 3 years ago and that was only out of pocket expense at about $600. It has 125,000 miles on it now. I just went back to dealership to have fuel pump replaced and they did free of charge because of an extended warranty still on that part!!! Love my car and glad I did not sell it last year. I am keeping until it won't run anymore. Love foreign cars, Volvo for life. Worth every penny. The red paint looks still brand new. I have had a Lexus, BMW and Mercedes but love the Volvo reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger trunk and more leg room for rear passengers, Wish I had the heated seats.

Our 2002 Volvo S60 2.4T
By idrum4u

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Good on open highways, terrible ride on rougher roads. Great engine, but terrible car quality overall. Purchased new with 8K on odometer: * Before 30K miles: - Engine mounts broke - Black smoke from air.cond vents (on inspection Calabasas Volvo reported nothing found.. yeah right) - some air.cond fans no longer work - Radio sporadically changes station - Suspension bushings broke - Defrost broke - only does 1/2 window * Before 60K: - Transmission problems - takes 5+ secs to get in gear - Roof gutter-tracks paint is pealing - Plastic ext. trim is popping off - Plastic ext. trim quickly faded to light gray - Eng. mnts broke a 2nd time * much much more..

Favorite Features

* Engine is powerful and very reliable. * Very quiet inside * Comfortabe front seat (no leg room on back seats though) * Excellent on major open highways * Door remotes have memory (for seats, mirrors, etc.) but are expensive ($200 ea if lost)

Suggested Improvements

* Redesign transmission (fails too quickly) * Redesign suspension (very rough ride on streets vibrates and breaks everything inside) * Find quality fans for air.cond * Find more reliable radio system