2002 Volvo S60 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S60 model:
Great for all
By golferaz on 03/08/13 09:45 AM (PST)

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought an s60 in November of 2010. It's the t5, 5 speed automatic. I am absolutely in love with this vehicle. I bought it with 127k miles on it in Arizona, its been driven around there and then across the country to Arizona. Most people would be hesitant to drive a car with 140k miles on it another 2000 miles, across unfamiliar ground, but the car did great. Great range, averaged around 29 mpg on the trip. Great sound system, comfortable, handy on board computer system to check information. I did put W rated tires on it about a year ago (speed tires), and I noticed that the cornering and stability increased ten fold. A bit expensive for parts, but you pay for quality. Great for all

Solid Car and Fun to Drive
By Andy on 11/03/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

Steering and braking are excellent and have spared me from at least two accidents. Love the acceleration and handling at highway speeds. Leather interior is comfortable and has stood up exceptionally well to the wear and tear of two young boys. Will definitely buy another Volvo but only after this one wears out.

Hi Mileage Used - So Far So Good
By c j on 09/21/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought an '02 S60 T5 from a non-Volvo dealer 6 mos ago. Had high mileage but the price was right. Turns out it had a busted fuel filter that went undetected pre-purchase too - but fortunately I got it fixed under recall. That said, it's been extremely reliable, comfortable and a pleasure to drive. It does have a major design flaw in that the front tires rub against the frame if you attempt tight turns into/out of parking spaces. I find this to be minor. Overall I am very satisfied. I expect that when things go wrong they will be expensive, but so far this car is in great shape @ 143k miles

Volvo S60
By HS on 12/11/09 13:48 PM (PST)

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car new and now at 76,000 miles, I am starting to have major problems with car: Front suspension ($1200), Trani ($4500). Very expensive to maintain. Would not buy another Volvo.

NO MORE VOLVO
By No More Volvo ! on 11/28/09 05:10 AM (PST)

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought used in 2005 at 48,000 miles; regularly maintained after purchase. Engine death at 108,000 miles. Told it was "sludge" plugging the turbo, (despite our regular oil and filter changes.) Every minor thing cost an arm and a leg to fix. Blinker kept going out (short somewhere in system - ate bulbs like candy). Very expensive cost of ownership. The transmission was threatening to go, but the engine went first.

Throttle problem
By Adriano on 07/16/09 15:57 PM (PDT)

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

Got a problem at 94 k with throttle not working, needed ETM software upgrade and new accelerator pedal. I called Volvo and they said that this can happen with high mileage. Did not think that 94k is that high for a Volvo.

I'm never buying a different car!
By ikey on 09/13/08 21:06 PM (PDT)

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

The S60 has been a pleasure to drive. 247HP out of a turbo 2.3L I-5 is quite impressive and it is very reasonable with fuel. My mixed average is 25MPG, which is comparable to that of smaller cars. A lot of attention has been given to details and the build quality; it feels solid and is a quiet ride. The outside design is tasteful and simple and the interior is nicely laid out and ergonomic.

My favorite car ever
By Michael on 07/22/08 19:33 PM (PDT)

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

I do love my Volvo. It is so incredibly comfortable. The seat fits me perfectly and for once I don't have to tilt my head back to find the headrest. The premium sound system is outstanding. My only concerns about the car are the fact that I have probably changed lightbulbs (mainly in the rear) about 10 times in 2 years. I am not too pleased with the gas mileage as I seem to average 22 per gallon. The car drives great, is very quiet, and is styled beautifully.

2002 S60 T5
By Pau on 05/10/07 20:18 PM (PDT)

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

Great all-round performer. Have owned since new. Only to shop for basic maintenance except for recent A/C issue. Have owned Mercedes E Class and 5 series BMW that spent much more time for repairs. Go for the T5 or R model, just watch the torque steer. I never thought a Volvo could perform this well. At nearly 60000 miles it still runs strong as new.

Nice; car, ride, feel, some minor repair
By UofA Grad on 02/05/07 20:54 PM (PST)

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is nice. Had a few immediate problem after initial purchase. The drivers side door (inside handle) went out of commission. Since the car was certified the warranty cover it. The check engine light came on after 60,000 miles, that cost $200 to fix. The stock radio does not work well with cell phones in the car. Overall not bad, its a fun sedan to drive.