2002 Volvo S60 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S60 model:
Our 2002 Volvo S60 2.4T
By idrum4u on 04/14/13 14:20 PM (PDT)

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Good on open highways, terrible ride on rougher roads. Great engine, but terrible car quality overall. Purchased new with 8K on odometer: * Before 30K miles: - Engine mounts broke - Black smoke from air.cond vents (on inspection Calabasas Volvo reported nothing found.. yeah right) - some air.cond fans no longer work - Radio sporadically changes station - Suspension bushings broke - Defrost broke - only does 1/2 window * Before 60K: - Transmission problems - takes 5+ secs to get in gear - Roof gutter-tracks paint is pealing - Plastic ext. trim is popping off - Plastic ext. trim quickly faded to light gray - Eng. mnts broke a 2nd time * much much more..

Watch out for transmission problems
By roadrep on 04/14/13 08:44 AM (PDT)

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought a 2002 S60 before doing my research. I didn't know that the 01 and 02 years had transmission problems. I would up with a $4000 bill for a new transmission! The lesson I learned was.....do your research. There was plenty of information on the internet about this problem. I won't do this again.

First car
By mostar94 on 04/02/13 13:26 PM (PDT)

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This was my first car, and sadly had to be ruined by a rear ender :( Overall great car, great safety features, good performance. The only downside I can see is being somewhat pricey when I first bought it (2007), as well as a boring and somewhat small interior. Overall great car, you will be missed bud!

All good and hard to say goodbye
By seabrzjo on 06/12/12 14:46 PM (PDT)

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought my S60 new in 2002, but now it's time to say goodbye and I have never been this emotional about giving up a car EVER! Because of changes in my personal life I need a bigger vehicle, and unfortunately cannot afford to keep two. My little silver S60 has been the most dependable vehicle that I have ever owned. I have worked from home since I got "her", so have only clocked 72K miles on the odometer, but I have pushed her hard during a few long distance road trips. I like quick acceleration and sporty lane changes and she's never let me down for a second. Other than maintenance, she's only needed one repair that costs less than $100. Love her and will miss her.

Owned mine for 8 years
By johnc8551 on 01/17/12 07:15 AM (PST)

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought my 2002 S60 used with 21K miles on it in 2004. It now has 110,000 miles on the odo, and I've passed it along to my stepdaughter as her college car. I get it serviced regularly and it has not been overly expensive to maintain through my local Firestone service center. It's been an overall dependable car with only a few age related failures, such as alternator, water pump, strut mounts, etc. Nothing too big at all. The one gremlin this car has, and it seems to be rather common with this series, is that it eats tail light and headlight bulbs on a regular basis. However, these are easy to replace by the owner, and I now keep spares stashed with the spare tire in the trunk.

volvo s60
By snoopy29 on 07/19/11 12:29 PM (PDT)

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Fun car to drive in the city

Reliable car, never had any major major prolems
By atptr139 on 04/13/11 20:51 PM (PDT)

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

My family has had my 2002 Volvo S60 since it's been off the lot. it's been super safe, and as a teenage driver, it's good to have a reliable car. Maintaining the car is in fact expensive, but worth it. It's saved me from countless close calls from people, from a wide range of coming over in my lane (shoulder saved me) to 40-0 in a couple seconds (city traffic sucks). breaks are amazing and it handles great. would recommend as a safe and reliable car!

Another Great Buy...
By an9reaw on 12/13/10 22:38 PM (PST)

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I was kind of sorry to see that so many people had S60 troubles. I bought my pre-owned 2002 S60 in 2007 @ 90,000K knowing very well that I'd own it for years to come. It's nearly 2011 now and I still haven't had anything unexpected. This is my second Volvo (first being a 1996 850) and it's true they are extremely expensive to maintain, but I haven't had unexpected issues, as I've always gone to the Volvo deal for every single last part on the car/service. Things that needed replacement for were: + Fuel Filter + Muffler (I live in New England, they go quickly with rust) Other than that, the car is now at 170,000K and seems to be going well.

so NOT for life!
By DL on 10/20/09 16:06 PM (PDT)

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I will never set foot in a Volvo dealership again. First, an acorn cracked the windshield. My husband would NEVER have believed me if he had not been driving the car when it happened. Light bulbs have failed the entire 81,000 miles (I have lost count), gas door fell off, starter replaced TWICE (service says it may have more to do with the solenoid valve), oil pan is shot, car leaks oil. It is currently sitting in my driveway because it will not start for me to unload it on a trade.

Great Car For The Money!
By dingo686 on 08/25/09 15:02 PM (PDT)

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I have put 30k miles on mine and these are my impressions so far at 80K miles. I used to be a Honda guy but when I couldn't find a used one at a descent price I drove this car and boy am I glad I did. These cars have all the reliability of the Japanese cars but better fit and finish and quality. Just open and shut the doors of this car and you'll know what I'm talking about. Only problem I've had with this car is the fuel pump cracked but it is a recall item so I took it to the dealer and they replaced it no charge. I have replaced one daytime running lamp and the oil and that's it. To me you get the looks, feel, most of the peppiness and quality of a BMW 3 series but at half the price.

1 2 3 4 5 next »