Used 2002 Volvo S60 2.4T Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S60 model:

Our 2002 Volvo S60 2.4T
By idrum4u

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Good on open highways, terrible ride on rougher roads. Great engine, but terrible car quality overall. Purchased new with 8K on odometer: * Before 30K miles: - Engine mounts broke - Black smoke from air.cond vents (on inspection Calabasas Volvo reported nothing found.. yeah right) - some air.cond fans no longer work - Radio sporadically changes station - Suspension bushings broke - Defrost broke - only does 1/2 window * Before 60K: - Transmission problems - takes 5+ secs to get in gear - Roof gutter-tracks paint is pealing - Plastic ext. trim is popping off - Plastic ext. trim quickly faded to light gray - Eng. mnts broke a 2nd time * much much more..

* Engine is powerful and very reliable. * Very quiet inside * Comfortabe front seat (no leg room on back seats though) * Excellent on major open highways * Door remotes have memory (for seats, mirrors, etc.) but are expensive ($200 ea if lost)

* Redesign transmission (fails too quickly) * Redesign suspension (very rough ride on streets vibrates and breaks everything inside) * Find quality fans for air.cond * Find more reliable radio system

Watch out for transmission problems
By roadrep

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought a 2002 S60 before doing my research. I didn't know that the 01 and 02 years had transmission problems. I would up with a $4000 bill for a new transmission! The lesson I learned was.....do your research. There was plenty of information on the internet about this problem. I won't do this again.

Nice interior, comfortable ride, nice appearance.

Horrible transmissions that are VERY expensive to repair!

First car
By mostar94

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This was my first car, and sadly had to be ruined by a rear ender :( Overall great car, great safety features, good performance. The only downside I can see is being somewhat pricey when I first bought it (2007), as well as a boring and somewhat small interior. Overall great car, you will be missed bud!

Styling, performance, safety.

All good and hard to say goodbye
By seabrzjo

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought my S60 new in 2002, but now it's time to say goodbye and I have never been this emotional about giving up a car EVER! Because of changes in my personal life I need a bigger vehicle, and unfortunately cannot afford to keep two. My little silver S60 has been the most dependable vehicle that I have ever owned. I have worked from home since I got "her", so have only clocked 72K miles on the odometer, but I have pushed her hard during a few long distance road trips. I like quick acceleration and sporty lane changes and she's never let me down for a second. Other than maintenance, she's only needed one repair that costs less than $100. Love her and will miss her.

Owned mine for 8 years
By johnc8551

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought my 2002 S60 used with 21K miles on it in 2004. It now has 110,000 miles on the odo, and I've passed it along to my stepdaughter as her college car. I get it serviced regularly and it has not been overly expensive to maintain through my local Firestone service center. It's been an overall dependable car with only a few age related failures, such as alternator, water pump, strut mounts, etc. Nothing too big at all. The one gremlin this car has, and it seems to be rather common with this series, is that it eats tail light and headlight bulbs on a regular basis. However, these are easy to replace by the owner, and I now keep spares stashed with the spare tire in the trunk.

All Wheel Drive, uses mid-grade (87+) gas, comfortable interior, spacious trunk, adequate power, dependable transportation.

The radio has no pre-set buttons. Eats light bulbs.