2002 Volvo S60 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S60 model:
Our 2002 Volvo S60 2.4T
By idrum4u on 04/14/13 14:20 PM (PDT)

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Good on open highways, terrible ride on rougher roads. Great engine, but terrible car quality overall. Purchased new with 8K on odometer: * Before 30K miles: - Engine mounts broke - Black smoke from air.cond vents (on inspection Calabasas Volvo reported nothing found.. yeah right) - some air.cond fans no longer work - Radio sporadically changes station - Suspension bushings broke - Defrost broke - only does 1/2 window * Before 60K: - Transmission problems - takes 5+ secs to get in gear - Roof gutter-tracks paint is pealing - Plastic ext. trim is popping off - Plastic ext. trim quickly faded to light gray - Eng. mnts broke a 2nd time * much much more..

Watch out for transmission problems
By roadrep on 04/14/13 08:44 AM (PDT)

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought a 2002 S60 before doing my research. I didn't know that the 01 and 02 years had transmission problems. I would up with a $4000 bill for a new transmission! The lesson I learned was.....do your research. There was plenty of information on the internet about this problem. I won't do this again.

First car
By mostar94 on 04/02/13 13:26 PM (PDT)

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This was my first car, and sadly had to be ruined by a rear ender :( Overall great car, great safety features, good performance. The only downside I can see is being somewhat pricey when I first bought it (2007), as well as a boring and somewhat small interior. Overall great car, you will be missed bud!

Great for all
By golferaz on 03/08/13 09:45 AM (PST)

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought an s60 in November of 2010. It's the t5, 5 speed automatic. I am absolutely in love with this vehicle. I bought it with 127k miles on it in Arizona, its been driven around there and then across the country to Arizona. Most people would be hesitant to drive a car with 140k miles on it another 2000 miles, across unfamiliar ground, but the car did great. Great range, averaged around 29 mpg on the trip. Great sound system, comfortable, handy on board computer system to check information. I did put W rated tires on it about a year ago (speed tires), and I noticed that the cornering and stability increased ten fold. A bit expensive for parts, but you pay for quality. Great for all

Not true to its reputation
By kylecallahan on 11/15/12 17:13 PM (PST)

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T AWD 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Volvo is a safe car, right? That's what we've all come to expect. Careful, my friend, you are being mislead! I've been reasonably happy; reasonably.... until now. Seems our 2002 S60 indicated a difficulty with the airbag system. No matter, right? It has a bucket of them, what's the big deal if one goes bad? Well, the fact is, when one goes bad, the Entire Air Bag system is disabled!n Go figure! The safest car on the road becomes a hulking death trap. Seems like an extraordinary design flaw, doesn't it? Not according to Volvo - that's what they intended. Inconceivable! Price to fix? Over a grand. Expensive junk, uncaring company, flawed product. Beware, folks. Reselect!

All good and hard to say goodbye
By seabrzjo on 06/12/12 14:46 PM (PDT)

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought my S60 new in 2002, but now it's time to say goodbye and I have never been this emotional about giving up a car EVER! Because of changes in my personal life I need a bigger vehicle, and unfortunately cannot afford to keep two. My little silver S60 has been the most dependable vehicle that I have ever owned. I have worked from home since I got "her", so have only clocked 72K miles on the odometer, but I have pushed her hard during a few long distance road trips. I like quick acceleration and sporty lane changes and she's never let me down for a second. Other than maintenance, she's only needed one repair that costs less than $100. Love her and will miss her.

Owned mine for 8 years
By johnc8551 on 01/17/12 07:15 AM (PST)

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought my 2002 S60 used with 21K miles on it in 2004. It now has 110,000 miles on the odo, and I've passed it along to my stepdaughter as her college car. I get it serviced regularly and it has not been overly expensive to maintain through my local Firestone service center. It's been an overall dependable car with only a few age related failures, such as alternator, water pump, strut mounts, etc. Nothing too big at all. The one gremlin this car has, and it seems to be rather common with this series, is that it eats tail light and headlight bulbs on a regular basis. However, these are easy to replace by the owner, and I now keep spares stashed with the spare tire in the trunk.

volvo s60
By snoopy29 on 07/19/11 12:29 PM (PDT)

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Fun car to drive in the city

Reliable car, never had any major major prolems
By atptr139 on 04/13/11 20:51 PM (PDT)

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

My family has had my 2002 Volvo S60 since it's been off the lot. it's been super safe, and as a teenage driver, it's good to have a reliable car. Maintaining the car is in fact expensive, but worth it. It's saved me from countless close calls from people, from a wide range of coming over in my lane (shoulder saved me) to 40-0 in a couple seconds (city traffic sucks). breaks are amazing and it handles great. would recommend as a safe and reliable car!

Very Reliable Car, and Fun to Drive!!!!
By ke5wjb on 01/03/11 12:30 PM (PST)

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

i bought my 2002 Volvo S60 ASR Non-Turbo Edition back in 2006 and it has its problems but they are mainly wear items. I just Recently got my Fuel Pump Replaced for free by Volvo of Dallas located at 6600 SH 121 Frisco, TX 75034 due to Recall 220 which has to do with the fuel delivery pump flange and seal leaking under certain conditions and varying fuel quality. I love this car it is a fun car to drive and it gets 30 MPG on the highway for a car that has over 100,000 miles on the odometer i use my car mainly for Storm Spotting, I have my Volvo all decked out with Mobile Amateur Radio Equipment with a big 42 inch Dual Band Antenna Mounted on the roof i love my car and i will always buy Volvo.