Used 2002 Volvo S60 2.4 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volvo S60 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S60 model:

Very Reliable Car, and Fun to Drive!!!!
By ke5wjb

2002 Volvo S60 2.4 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

i bought my 2002 Volvo S60 ASR Non-Turbo Edition back in 2006 and it has its problems but they are mainly wear items. I just Recently got my Fuel Pump Replaced for free by Volvo of Dallas located at 6600 SH 121 Frisco, TX 75034 due to Recall 220 which has to do with the fuel delivery pump flange and seal leaking under certain conditions and varying fuel quality. I love this car it is a fun car to drive and it gets 30 MPG on the highway for a car that has over 100,000 miles on the odometer i use my car mainly for Storm Spotting, I have my Volvo all decked out with Mobile Amateur Radio Equipment with a big 42 inch Dual Band Antenna Mounted on the roof i love my car and i will always buy Volvo.

the airbag system, the multifunction steering wheel, Automatic Transmission, etc, too many to list.

None Needed

My Lemon
By Carlh

2002 Volvo S60 2.4 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I bought the car at around 80K miles and the car checked out fine from my Volvo mechanic. After a snow storm, the bottom of the car was basically corroded and I needed to replace the entire exhaust system and several brackets. I was unable to find tires that would not rub against the interior wheel well, so it made this awful rubbing sound whenever I turned. The tire company insisted they sold me the manufacturer recommended tires. At 113K miles, the transmission gave out. Repair estimates are $5000-$7000. The car is basically junk now.

Car had great traction on straight roads in bad weather. Fronts seats are very comfortable.

More reliability. The car should not be falling apart after 80K miles.

Cool and Reliable Car
By shop74

2002 Volvo S60 2.4 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I purchased mine 5 years ago used at a Volvo dealership with 55k miles on it. No major problems with it whats so ever. I replaced the alternator 3 years ago and that was only out of pocket expense at about $600. It has 125,000 miles on it now. I just went back to dealership to have fuel pump replaced and they did free of charge because of an extended warranty still on that part!!! Love my car and glad I did not sell it last year. I am keeping until it won't run anymore. Love foreign cars, Volvo for life. Worth every penny. The red paint looks still brand new. I have had a Lexus, BMW and Mercedes but love the Volvo reliability.

Bigger trunk and more leg room for rear passengers, Wish I had the heated seats.

Great Car, Worth every penny
By Andria

2002 Volvo S60 2.4 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Mine was previously leased Volvo that I purchased from dealer. The car rides beautifully. It came with winter package, so it drives fantastic in snow. Wish it would take corners a little better, but I used to drive a sportscar before this one. When I purchased the car it had 47K miles on it. Within 3 years it now has 109K. No issues. The "check engine" light came on. It turned out it was the gas cap wasn't on tight enough. Hit a huge deer while driving the Oregon coast hwy doing 60MPH. The deer walked away and the car had some damage ($7k), but I was still able to drive it all the way to Las Vegas with no problems. Could barely feel the impact in the interior cabin. Volvo fan for life.

heated seats, moon roof, Safety features, access to music controls on the steering wheel, durability, super huge trunk, sleek and sophisticated yet not stuffy.

add mp3 player, better steering on corners, larger glove box

Not the car for me
By Mr. B

2002 Volvo S60 2.4 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I have had this car for 3 and a half years now and have more gripes about it as it gets older. There are bright some bright spots but it accelerates slowly (i run the car on premium and use synthetic oil btw) really gets slow after about 80, and has so-so handling. The car has left me stranded twice, things that have broken on it: the key would not remove from the ignition (dealer said they've never seen this before), it's AC turns on by itself when the car is sitting for over 40 minutes with no keys in it (dealer replaced the whole fan and it did nothing), the right side blows hot air and left side blows cold air and the dealer can't seem to fix it, the gas panel door has fallen off etc...

The sound-system, steering wheel controls, comfortable front seats, nicely sized trunk, tracks well on the highway, feels safe and doesn't draw attention i.e. people aren't going to try to steal this car

Reliability (i'd rather pay the amount of money i do to keep a Benz or Bimmer on the road than a Volvo) Performance (it really feels underpowered for its size, especially even more so in power crazy 09' than 02'). Better interior (some materials feel cheap and there is poor leg space in the rear)