2002 Volvo S60 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S60 model:
Very Reliable Car, and Fun to Drive!!!!
By ke5wjb on 01/03/11 12:30 PM (PST)

2002 Volvo S60 2.4 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

i bought my 2002 Volvo S60 ASR Non-Turbo Edition back in 2006 and it has its problems but they are mainly wear items. I just Recently got my Fuel Pump Replaced for free by Volvo of Dallas located at 6600 SH 121 Frisco, TX 75034 due to Recall 220 which has to do with the fuel delivery pump flange and seal leaking under certain conditions and varying fuel quality. I love this car it is a fun car to drive and it gets 30 MPG on the highway for a car that has over 100,000 miles on the odometer i use my car mainly for Storm Spotting, I have my Volvo all decked out with Mobile Amateur Radio Equipment with a big 42 inch Dual Band Antenna Mounted on the roof i love my car and i will always buy Volvo.

My Lemon
By Carlh on 06/25/10 20:59 PM (PDT)

2002 Volvo S60 2.4 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I bought the car at around 80K miles and the car checked out fine from my Volvo mechanic. After a snow storm, the bottom of the car was basically corroded and I needed to replace the entire exhaust system and several brackets. I was unable to find tires that would not rub against the interior wheel well, so it made this awful rubbing sound whenever I turned. The tire company insisted they sold me the manufacturer recommended tires. At 113K miles, the transmission gave out. Repair estimates are $5000-$7000. The car is basically junk now.

Cool and Reliable Car
By shop74 on 01/07/10 06:13 AM (PST)

2002 Volvo S60 2.4 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I purchased mine 5 years ago used at a Volvo dealership with 55k miles on it. No major problems with it whats so ever. I replaced the alternator 3 years ago and that was only out of pocket expense at about $600. It has 125,000 miles on it now. I just went back to dealership to have fuel pump replaced and they did free of charge because of an extended warranty still on that part!!! Love my car and glad I did not sell it last year. I am keeping until it won't run anymore. Love foreign cars, Volvo for life. Worth every penny. The red paint looks still brand new. I have had a Lexus, BMW and Mercedes but love the Volvo reliability.

Great Car, Worth every penny
By Andria on 12/27/09 18:11 PM (PST)

2002 Volvo S60 2.4 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Mine was previously leased Volvo that I purchased from dealer. The car rides beautifully. It came with winter package, so it drives fantastic in snow. Wish it would take corners a little better, but I used to drive a sportscar before this one. When I purchased the car it had 47K miles on it. Within 3 years it now has 109K. No issues. The "check engine" light came on. It turned out it was the gas cap wasn't on tight enough. Hit a huge deer while driving the Oregon coast hwy doing 60MPH. The deer walked away and the car had some damage ($7k), but I was still able to drive it all the way to Las Vegas with no problems. Could barely feel the impact in the interior cabin. Volvo fan for life.

Not the car for me
By Mr. B on 10/26/09 10:53 AM (PDT)

2002 Volvo S60 2.4 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I have had this car for 3 and a half years now and have more gripes about it as it gets older. There are bright some bright spots but it accelerates slowly (i run the car on premium and use synthetic oil btw) really gets slow after about 80, and has so-so handling. The car has left me stranded twice, things that have broken on it: the key would not remove from the ignition (dealer said they've never seen this before), it's AC turns on by itself when the car is sitting for over 40 minutes with no keys in it (dealer replaced the whole fan and it did nothing), the right side blows hot air and left side blows cold air and the dealer can't seem to fix it, the gas panel door has fallen off etc...

Very Good Vehicle
By GP on 10/03/09 05:54 AM (PDT)

2002 Volvo S60 2.4 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I've had the car about 8 months. So far very reliable. It wants to run. Very, very comfortable car with great front seats. Stereo is excellent, climate controls intuitive. I've always had 5-speeds in sedans, but this automatic has me converted with its performance. The 5-cylinder is a good compromise of performance and economy. I'm getting 28 mpg [25 mile commute, cruising at 70 mph] with ample reserve power when needed.

Find a good mechanic
By Mike on 09/01/09 11:20 AM (PDT)

2002 Volvo S60 2.4 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

A fun car to drive, but with 85,000 miles I've had my list of problems. With extreme heat (like in Las Vegas) expect the "wood" interior paneling to peel off. Fuel cap door, like many other posts have said, will break. Don't bother fixing it....it will break again. Headlights, buy them in bulk because you will replace them every couple months. Dropped a pretty penny on struts, tires and brakes, but that is my fault for buying a used car without getting it checked out by a mechanic first. New battery, fuel pump, and fuel filter, and it still won't start until you try it a couple times. 20 mpg isn't quite what I had expected from a sedan.

a good allround car
By mark on 08/30/09 06:54 AM (PDT)

2002 Volvo S60 2.4 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I bought the 2002 s60 base model in 2003. This is by far the best vehicle I have ever owned. VERY SAFE! I worked for years in a trauma room and wanted a safe car and this is it. VERY comfortable too. Most comfy seats of ANY car! performance is fine for a comfort sedan, but its not a BMW, ppl! If u want a BMW sports car, but it. This is a comfort/safety car. VERY reliable. 6 years and NO problems! Upgraded foglights and headlights (replaced crappy ones with xenon). Luxurious, thick leather! Smooth, comfy ride. Feel safe, which u should in a volvo. Expensive maintenance, but well worth it. I am VERY happy with this. DO NOT buy the Turbo, u lose LOTS reselling it cuz they know u hotrodded it

Beauty lasts so long
By omid on 02/02/09 16:54 PM (PST)

2002 Volvo S60 2.4 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

The car rides comfortably. The seat grabs your body and makes for great long trips. The exterior is well designed. The trunk is full of space and I've moved several times with the car. Rear passengers are really comfortable. The two plugs are great. Other than that the car is a pain. Things that shouldn't ever go bad, go bad on the model. I've changed the brake booster and front suspension and O2 sensor. It would have been nice if the O2 sensor had lasted a bit long. The repairs are really pricey too. The stock stereo is plagued, either the speakers blow easily or the stereo gets tired of your music. My heart wants a new Volvo but my mind knows a reliable cheaper to fix car might be better.

Fun, comfort, annoying quality issues
By RAS on 05/09/08 20:08 PM (PDT)

2002 Volvo S60 2.4 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Exceptional value for the price. Styling, comfort, safe and firm feel all make this a pleasure to own. We did experience many problems that were annoying, but the overall experience overshadows the design and quality shortfalls. I am considering a newer (2007) S60 AWD purchase and will likely keep this one for my daughter to use. Front wheel drive was just adequate in snow. Next time I'd buy AWD. Transmission shift problem required three dealer visits to fix during early warranty period. Fuel filler door broke off. Headlamps and tail light bulbs constantly burn out.

1 2 3 4 5 next »