I HATE this car!
By manofsteel05 on
2001 Volvo S60 2.4T 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)
This car is an absolute nightmare! I've had this car for 5 months and its spent most of the time in the shop. This car has MAJOR transmission problems. $3200 to rebuild the transmission and its still not working properly. The front suspension stinks, it has major design flaws and wears out prematurely. I just replaced the right side CV joint, control arms, sway bar links and tie rod assemblies. $1000 plus. The cooling fan went bad (previously replaced in a recall) and blew out my heater core $1200. I haven't dealt with my ETM but from what I heard its only a matter of time until mine dies. $1000 Do not read any of the early posts, the most recent posts are when the problems begin.
Favorite Features
The front seats are super comfortable. Quick to accelerate from a stop. Stylish design.
Suggested Improvements
Where do I start? Probably with why is there no latch inside the car to open the trunk?! The transmission is junk, supposedly the valve body was the cause of the problem. '02 same problems, but transmission shop has seen even newer ones in with similiar problems. The suspension is poorly designed. I could go on and on, but I need to figure out what to do with this piece of junk!
By manofsteel05
on 06/25/12 15:14 PM (PDT)

It's been a year since my last post, so here's update. I'm embarrassed to say, how much I've spent on this car. Its definitely become a sore spot between my wife and me. I now have close to 132,000 miles on the engine and 9,000 on the rebuilt transmission. The transmission runs OK now after replacing the engine mounts and resetting the computer. The tie rods went bad again and had to be replaced. I had the A/C recharged and a leak repaired last summer and the A/C blower fan decided to quit this year.The check engine light is on and Volvo want to replace the catalytic converter for $1,600. The car has trouble starting when the engine is hot and Volvo charged me $55 to tell me that they do know what the problem is and will cost another $300 to find out. The passenger side footwell fills with water during heavy rain. The brake light, turn signal light or misc lights are constantly been reported as faulty on the dash. The FM radio will sometimes randomly scan thru radio stations. The clear coat is peeling off the car on the driver's side. I went to Discount Tire to get my tires rotated and Discount couldn't remove the front left wheel. So I had to go to Brakes Plus to get the bolts cut off and the hub replaced. My front struts are leaking and Volvo indicated their is a problem with turbo control circuit. After all this, I've decided not to spend anymore money on this car. I'll change the oil regularly, do basic maintenance and maybe, maybe pay to have the iginition problem fixed. So here's my advice to you, if you like this model, do not get a 2001. 2001 was the first model year, this is a bad year for S60s and V70s. The transmissions fail 90% of the time due to a faulty Valve body. Look for a 2005 or newer. I have spent close to $8,000 on repairs on this car. To think, what I could have bought with that money!

By turbobrick123
on 06/08/13 13:40 PM (PDT)

First, change the oil, transmission fluid, and the corresponding filters regularly; this will help prevent a lot of costly repairs. Also, replace your struts and shocks with Sachs or better (I like Koni). Check the door seals for leaks. Replace lights (turn signals, brakes, etc) in pairs, an inconsistency can cause a bulb failure code. A peeling clear coat is caused by the sun. Stuck lug nuts means someone cross threaded them.