Used 2001 Volvo S60 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S60 model:

Don't get a Volvo!
By alex

2001 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Owning this car made me realize what kind of company Volvo is. First of all all Volvo dealers are franchased independant shops, that means Volvo has NO control over them. I had bad experience with Bay Ridge Volvo - American Inc located in Brooklyn NY. My s60 was fine until 110k miles. I started having engine idling problems. This BayRidgeVolvo dealer told me, first we will change all 6 injectors $1600 then maybe catalytic $1000+ but didn't promise that this problem will go away. I went to another shop who changed PCV valve for $150. Before they tried to shut off the check engine light 4 times, charging me each time for something new. I had to fight to get my $ back, but did not get all of it.

Favorite Features

appearence of the car and the "brand"

Suggested Improvements

standard turbo, stronger suspension, stronger headlights, cancel the franchise agreement with Bay Ridge Volvo - American Inc. who makes fake customer satisfaction promisses and gives a BAD NAME to Volvo.

Volvo or Ford?
By Drew

2001 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This is my first Volvo, I have enjoyed it, however have had a few problems. The paint job on the window surrounds fell off and the plastic strips had to be replaced. A couple of spots on the hood where the paint has bubbled too. The bearings needed to be replaced once on the rear and twice on the front end.

Favorite Features

The front seats are the most comfortable I have sat in, the stereo/speaker system is great!

Suggested Improvements

Overall satisfied, just annoyed when you buy a Volvo and get Ford quality.

2001 Volvo 2dr Sdn
By Andrea Smith

2001 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Overall, a very good car! Purchased car for safety features as well as design and have been satisfied YTD. Took 3 years of ownership before realizing that there is a trunk release above rear license plate when doors are unlocked push up on rubber cover this will open the trunk without using the fob.I have to agree that the car does burn bulbs. Car only has 38000 miles and replaced over 6 bulbs. The dealership I go to is not so generous and charges $4.00 a bulb a bit pricy. Had some problems with plastic runners on roof pitting and discoloring the first year but they were replaced under warranty. Also, experienced some electrical problem that was also covered under warranty.

Favorite Features

Seats are very comfortable especially when heated. radio & cup holder in the backseat with storage compartment. fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Drivers side leather seat shows a lot of wear for amount of usage. Primary driver only weighs around 140. FOB should be on key like BMW & Honda. Radio knobs are annoying. Scheduled maintenance & brake replacement are overpriced Rear seats need more legroom to travel long distances comfortably.

Perfect Car
By raj

2001 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I drive high mileage and just love my S60. Power is fine in the base model for my driving. Reliablility is the best. Despite what other reviews have said, I do not believe the maintenance charges are out of line. About the same cost for my Honda Accord when all is said and done. Dealership personnel is excellent. I will never buy anything but a Volvo from now on.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats. Excellent ergonomics. Reliable. Quality.

Suggested Improvements

None.

Rubber Trouble
By Rubber Trouble

2001 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Fun car to drive. Good handling and decent acceleration from anywhere except a stand still. Now for the horror: I have replaced 10 tires in 3 years. The car is not designed properly for the low profile tires that came with the car. I purchased a warranty on all tires from a national tire chain after the fourth $200 tire I purchased. Now I am swapping them out at $25 a pop on a regular basis. Annoying. Maintenance is expensive. Only other major problem is the discoloration of the strips that run across the roof of the car (along the top of the door). Very expensive to replace and after many letters to the company still no answer on why the body discolors on at $35k car after 3 years.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive when tires are not flat. Great seats. Unique styling.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the tire problem. Two buttons for locking/unlocking the doors. Add a locking gas cap lock. Add a trunk release from the inside of the car. Turning radius is poor. Focus on customer service. Pitiful for a luxury brand.