Used 2001 Volvo S60 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volvo S60 Sedan

View reviews for a specific S60 model:

I'm a Lifer!
By Edward

2001 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I commute 180 miles round trip each day and this car is a pleasure to sit in. I can even fit my 6'2" frame in the back and still be comfy. The safety features are amazing even the sunroof is safe! My s60 is quiet inside, except on bad roads it can get a little rough over bumps with no weight in the car. Cornering is actually pretty good, but bumps may require a bit of correction. Its smooth for a front drive car. My non turbo is actually really spunky. Maint. is a little expensive, but talking to other Volvo owners, they swear by the dependability of their cars...so far so good. I like the Volvo because not everyone has them...I'm very happy overall with my car

Favorite Features

The traction control give the car a little better handling in corners, air blows cooold, seats are very comfy and the new integrated ipod dock for the stereo is on my must have list.

Great Car
By E H White

2001 Volvo S60 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

With over 50,000 miles, the car is still tight, quiet, good looking, and trouble free. The most comfortable front seats ever placed in a car, and oodles of power throughout the powerband. You just have to count to two and hold on. Handling is very good, but even better with Toyo Proxes 4 tires, rather than the stock Pirelli's. The Toyo tires are much noisier, however. I am amused by the owners (and magazine writers) who haven't read the manual. The gas cap DOES lock, There ARE separate bass and treble controls on the (great) radio, which I personally think has very intelligent and intuitive controls , and you CAN open the trunk without the key or a fob. Great car.

Favorite Features

Seats, Seats, Seats. Power, Looks, Handling, Radio (and controls), Headroom (I'm 6'3"), and it doesn't honk at you when you arm the alarm. The car is so user friendly that people evidently have trouble grasping how it works (read the instructions). Oh yes, it is also the quietest car I have owned.

Suggested Improvements

A cruise control engaged, rather than just armed, light. Reasonably priced scheduled maintenance. More rear seat leg room?...buy an S80. I get three kids (one in a car seat) in back. Not that they like it much, but it works.

Lots of pros and cons
By Sara

2001 Volvo S60 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought a certified used S60 T5 from a great dealership. Unfortunately I moved and the dealerships I've dealt with in Los Angeles are pretty bad with customer service. Calabasas Volvo in particular is horrible. Anyway, I do really enjoy the car, but have been frustrated with some random problems that I think are unacceptable for a "luxury" car. Pros: 1) Very comfortable, wonderful seats and beautiful interior 2) adequate power and muscular feel 3) safe and stable Cons: 1) The turning radius is AWFUL. I cannot make U-turns, period. Ever. Even turning around in a parking lot is tough. 2) Visibility is really poor. 3) CD won't play burned CDs, often gets "stuck". 4) random electrical problems

Favorite Features

Looks, safety, power, feel. It's a good car if you want something "status" without looking too flashy.

Suggested Improvements

The car is overly high-tech -- even the spark plugs are computerized, and cost way more than "regular" sparks. Constant random small problems with lights, fuses, etc. Update the CD player to handle burned CDs (frustrating when you can't utilize the itunes). Improve turning radius - tires don't fit.

Stay Away from the S60
By Jeff

2001 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I loved this car for the first 3 years, but it has turned into a nightmare during the last year. I have poured more than $3,000 into repairs in just 10,000 miles past the 4 year/50,000 mile waranty. The throttle modulator went out at 50,750 miles. No help from Volvo and $500 to repair. Then a piston went out in the transmission at 54,000 again no help from Volvo, paid $2,000. Then at 56,000 the passenger door lock panel went out to the tune of another $400. Just recently I was getting gas and the fuel door fell off. $125 later I was back on the road to dump this dog. The biggest problem is that these are common problems with the S60s and Volvo (Ford) is ignoring them and the owners.

Favorite Features

Safety features.

Suggested Improvements

Build them better and take care of the known issues.

Great and Sporty (responsible) Car
By Chad

2001 Volvo S60 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

I test drove a Volvo S40 back in 2001, bought a Caddilac instead. I recently purchased an S60 T5 and don't know what I was thinking back in 2001. I really enjoy driving the S60 T5. Power is great, the most fun I have had driving a car.

Favorite Features

Safety features