Used 2001 Volvo S60 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volvo S60 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S60 model:

Not your father's Volvo
By Will

2001 Volvo S60 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

I must say that this car is total junk. At 60,000 miles the transmission needed to be rebuilt, cost: $2,700. Strut mounts, control arm bushings, alternator, 3 engine mounts, 2 door locks went bad. Bulbs go out at least once ever 2 weeks. Has an annoying idle issue that is recurring and is attributed to dirt on the throttle body. Strange rattles and noises. DANGEROUSLY wide turning radius. I am VERY, VERY, disappointed with the build quality of Volvo.

Favorite Features

Super-comfortable seats. Safe feeling.

Suggested Improvements

Improve build quality. Too many to list.

Volvo Rocks!
By vovlomona

2001 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

What a fantastic car. Best I ever owned. The ad speaks volumes. VOLVO FOR LIFE!

Favorite Features

CAR LOOK IS GREAT!

Suggested Improvements

Radio controls tilted and more accessible to driver

fun but slow
By william newman

2001 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

As an accident reconstructionist, safety is #1. Volvo has always been the leader and that's why I drive one. Volvo's build quality is always 1 step up from most. Our 60 was used but certified with an extended warranty. The standard motor is adequate but not much acceleration. But it makes up for it in fuel economy 30mpg. The ride is a bit stiff. Would not recommend for long trips. Volvo replaced the transmission at 48k but it only cost of 50.00. I wouldn't buy any vehicle without an extended warranty. Volvo for at least part of my life.....

Favorite Features

Cockpit style seating, exterior design, preset seating adjustment, excellent audio system

Suggested Improvements

Cannot keep the alloy wheels clean. Brake dust is a pain. Running lights are not necessary, causes frequent lamp replacement.

Love Hate Relationship
By Dennis

2001 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

If only the car was out of the shop long enough to enjoy driving it. I have owned this car for 5 years. Very high maintenance costs and major repair bills. Volvo seems now just like daddy Ford - hide the design flaws and fix only when the lawsuits and/or government finally steps in and forces the issue. I would love this car were it not for problems with the very heart of its performance-the electronic throttle module. Almost guaranteed to break - so much so that they have now agreed to warrant the darn thing up to 200,000 miles - and they'll replace it only after making you spend thousands in diagnostics and pre-repairs. Then, they replace with the same defective designed part! Unbelievable

Favorite Features

Looks, performance when not in repair shop.

Suggested Improvements

Proactive and honest approach to design flaws and safety issues. Don't wait for lawsuits and government actions to finally (albeit reluctantly) fix your dangerous products. Redesign the ETM and replace it for the 300,000 plus people out here who bought your junk.

My S60
By joeyedgins

2001 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

This car is awesome. I bought it with 85,000 miles on it. I had to immediately take it in for it's scheduled maintenance (90,000). The dealership didn't do anything to it before selling so I had to replace the control arm bushings, tighten the sunroof cables, download the latest transmission software for the transmission, adjust the engine heat shield, etc. (1,900 dollars including the scheduled maintenace at dealership) Do not let the price scare you! It is amazing car-especially if you want to keep your wife satisfied. I can't keep her out of it. She never drives her Mercedes anymore. The car has plenty of power for not being a Turbo. I willdrive until the wheels fall off!

Favorite Features

Excellent interior and sound system. You will not find better seats I promise you! My friends are jealous and hate to drive to family events because they act like I've "arrived". Still has that quirky Volvo sound and that makes you feel proud by itself. A very captivating car.

Suggested Improvements

Make the turning radius better! Can't make a U turn. Do someething with that darn engine heat shield, it rattles in 2nd gear and is annoying. The dealership has to continuously bend it away from the engine to take rattle away. I'm glad Volvo took away the "fading trim" in it's more recent models