Used 2001 Volvo S60 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volvo S60 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S60 model:

Sweet Ride
By Michael

2001 Volvo S60 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

I replaced a '96 maxima that I rode hard for 200k with this car. The Maxima was fast for only 190hp. I wanted something that was fast. I had been looking for an s-60. 1st gear ain't much to talk about, throw it in second and with the right RPM, you've got a rocket. The high pressure turbo is different. I squeal the tires after it is in gear and the RPM goes up. The car is one of those classic designs that won't go out of style. (They modeled the new S80 after it.) I only wish I would have sprung for the later edition R60 with 300 HP. Maintenance ain't horrible but there are weird squeaks & rattles all over the car. My car has all the options for an '01, trackball 5-speed.

Stereo, 1 touch windows, sunroof, trackball 5-sd, 4 disc indash, kickin' stereo, leather, heated seats, tight suspension. POWER. Seats rock and the body design can't be beat.

Turning radius might as well be an 18 wheeler. Lots of squeaks & rattles. Long rides can beat you up. Car designed to compete with the BMW 330, and if you can get one on the open road, there ain't much that can touch it.

Could have been a lemon
By old one

2001 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

We purchased the Volvo S60 based on reputation. We were very disappointed. The car was always in the shop for one thing or another. Also frustrating, was having the car fixed and maintained. Finally, after less than 2 years of having the car, the sway bar broke. We turned it in, purchased a Maxima and have been happy since. Additional note - the only seat comfortable to ride in was the driver's seat. The back was very uncomfortable.

The turbo.

Run away
By kelleyga

2001 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Very dificult car to keep running. Averaged around $250 a mo to keep running. Kept losing its memory. Brake booster went out, suspension shot, transmission problems, turbo problems, oil leaks, multiple brake problems, wiring crumbling. And no one one knows how to work on it, they just throw parts at it. Dealer always says its mass air flow sensor, how maney in one year! Lost 15k in value in 2 yrs and still falling. Finally gave up and traded it in.

Beautiful car, only reason I put up with it so long.

Where is the quality that I thought volvo was known for. Very disappointed! Expensive lesson!

The Lupus Car
By Sara

2001 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This is the most unreliable car I have ever owned, in the few months of ownership the car has been towed 3 times. I fact it reminds me of the ford "exploder" I once owned. Where should I begin? at approx. 70,000 the rotors had to be replaced, the sunroof broke, both headlights and license plate lights burned out with the plastic casings needing to be replaced, the fuel injection caused the car to stall into limp mode (the first tow), the battery cables were loose causing (the second tow) the transmission is slipping causing the car to lurch forward, and the third tow is do to another stall with unknown causes. I have owned this car 4.5 months. I will never recommend a Volvo.

None, all the frustrations take the fun out -- thanks Volvo!

You need to build a better car, listen to your consumers (apparently I'm not the only one). Oh, and you might want to provide your customers with courtesy cars (since they are in the shop so much) I never know a "luxury" dealership been short of courtesy car until now. Blah!

We'd buy another....and we did.
By Volvofamily

2001 Volvo S60 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

This car has been a joy ride....literally. No problems whatsoever and we just turned 105,000 miles. The only issue to date has been a factory recall on a throttle sensor. Rides smooth, great pick up, and has been a good car for long road trips. We upgraded to the XC90 for kids and our 75 pound English Bulldog (hope he can make the jump to the back seat). We'll report on that later...

Acceleration, stereo sound, sporty features, nice handling.

AC power is weak, light bulbs keep burning out (our 2000 S80 did the same thing), huge turning radius, small trunk.