2001 Volvo S60 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S60 model:
Don't get a Volvo!
By alex on 03/17/05 14:19 PM (PST)

2001 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Owning this car made me realize what kind of company Volvo is. First of all all Volvo dealers are franchased independant shops, that means Volvo has NO control over them. I had bad experience with Bay Ridge Volvo - American Inc located in Brooklyn NY. My s60 was fine until 110k miles. I started having engine idling problems. This BayRidgeVolvo dealer told me, first we will change all 6 injectors $1600 then maybe catalytic $1000+ but didn't promise that this problem will go away. I went to another shop who changed PCV valve for $150. Before they tried to shut off the check engine light 4 times, charging me each time for something new. I had to fight to get my $ back, but did not get all of it.

Volvo or Ford?
By Drew on 01/27/05 14:35 PM (PST)

2001 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This is my first Volvo, I have enjoyed it, however have had a few problems. The paint job on the window surrounds fell off and the plastic strips had to be replaced. A couple of spots on the hood where the paint has bubbled too. The bearings needed to be replaced once on the rear and twice on the front end.

2001 Volvo 2dr Sdn
By Andrea Smith on 01/25/05 18:34 PM (PST)

2001 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Overall, a very good car! Purchased car for safety features as well as design and have been satisfied YTD. Took 3 years of ownership before realizing that there is a trunk release above rear license plate when doors are unlocked push up on rubber cover this will open the trunk without using the fob.I have to agree that the car does burn bulbs. Car only has 38000 miles and replaced over 6 bulbs. The dealership I go to is not so generous and charges $4.00 a bulb a bit pricy. Had some problems with plastic runners on roof pitting and discoloring the first year but they were replaced under warranty. Also, experienced some electrical problem that was also covered under warranty.

Perfect Car
By raj on 12/30/04 12:31 PM (PST)

2001 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I drive high mileage and just love my S60. Power is fine in the base model for my driving. Reliablility is the best. Despite what other reviews have said, I do not believe the maintenance charges are out of line. About the same cost for my Honda Accord when all is said and done. Dealership personnel is excellent. I will never buy anything but a Volvo from now on.

Rubber Trouble
By Rubber Trouble on 12/18/04 11:08 AM (PST)

2001 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Fun car to drive. Good handling and decent acceleration from anywhere except a stand still. Now for the horror: I have replaced 10 tires in 3 years. The car is not designed properly for the low profile tires that came with the car. I purchased a warranty on all tires from a national tire chain after the fourth $200 tire I purchased. Now I am swapping them out at $25 a pop on a regular basis. Annoying. Maintenance is expensive. Only other major problem is the discoloration of the strips that run across the roof of the car (along the top of the door). Very expensive to replace and after many letters to the company still no answer on why the body discolors on at $35k car after 3 years.

Nice car, but........
By wm on 08/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

This is a very nice car; comfortable, nice looking, non-turbo model but still plenty powerful. 3 years old and still rides and feels like a new car. Bought for my wife due to features and safety. Rear vision could be better; my wife has a hard time seeing out the back of the car. One glaring problem: this vehicle eats bulbs. I've had it less than one year and have gone through 1 headlight bulb, 2 brake light bulbs and about 4 or 5 turn signal bulbs. Thankfully, our local dealer has been excellent and has replaced all bulbs expeditiously (no appointment necessary) and at no cost to me.

One swede car!
By ddh716 on 06/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S60 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

I was drawn to this car by its sexy styling. The car drives well- predictable, quiet, comfortable, excellent acceleration except from a dead stop. Handling favors comfort over sport. The S60 is thoughtfully designed. For example, the sunroof can be opened or closed with one touch. And there's a position that eliminates boominess common with the roof open and windows shut. Why don't other car makers think like this? Overall, quality is excellent. Gaps are straight and the paint looks 6 inches deep. And the interior is flawless. But there are little rattles.

Owner for Life
By Lexis on 06/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

My eye caught the dark ruby red color and I was hooked. I melted into the leather seats and fell in love. I've I had two of the door gaskets replaced as well as the accordion-like material used in the sun roof. The driver seat had too much play and they replaced the struts. The AC is ice-cold. Drawbacks: Scheduled maintenance is too expensive - $145 every 7500 miles. 30,000 mile check-up is $510.00. Care requires premium gas. I wish they had a Trunk Release button instead of having to use the key fob. And, a locking gas door. Center console cup holder is awkward - the lid should fold down. I love the car and would buy another one in a heartbeat.

Overall good, WATCH maintenance $$$
By CB1 on 05/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S60 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought for safety, performance, style and strong $$ value for features standard. Ride quality good, not very sporty handling (leans too much) and turbo lag with excessive torque steer. 5spd "adaptive" automoatic isn't your average automatic. I was told that the tranny shifts into neutral at a stop. When your foot releases off the brake, it shifts back into gear, creating a buck or feel of drivetrain slop. It is a strange feeling, but appaently normal according to Volvo.

Transmission Problems with the S60??
By Toc on 05/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

We have been relatively satisfied with our S60 but have noticed that the transmission slips from time to time (it seems as if it shifts into neutral for a few seconds and there appears to be no pattern to this problem). We have been to the dealership 3 times for this issue but they were "not able to replicate the problem." At the dealership, there were 3 other customers with S60's and they were all there for transmission problems. Is this a common problem with the S60's?