2001 Volvo S60 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S60 model:
Fun and Safe
By chicagomatt on 04/07/06 17:10 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S60 T5 4dr Sedan (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

My family are loyal Volvo owners. I, being in my 20s, have always owned 2 door, sporty cars. Then, I bought a S60T5 with every option. It is an amazing car that my friends love to ride, drive, and be seen in. The optional sport shift is great for passing and provides better control of the vehicle in all weather. Interior is sporty. The optional 4 disc indash cd and Dolby surround system is amazing qualtiy, even for the most picky of ears (whether you are listening to RENT or Van Halen). Plus, you have the ultimate car for safety with all safety standard. The only complaint is sport tires/wheels can rub against the wheel wells if turned too hard. Otherwise, the car is exceptional!

Silky Smooth Swedish Thing!!
By John M. on 03/03/06 16:02 PM (PST)

2001 Volvo S60 T5 4dr Sedan (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

If this car were a woman, it would be the one you'd never forget. Maybe it has a few quirks, maybe the turning radius is slim, maybe controls aren't instantly intuitive. But the S60 has a silky smoothness everywhere your hands touch. And the T5 is more than just a pretty face. There's something about a very comfortable driving position with a huge amount of power underfoot and silky smooth controls at your fingertips that make this Volvo an unforgettable experience. Granted, I've only had mine for four months and 5K mi., so my impressions might be premature. But I almost always opt for driving the T5 over my BMW X5 when I have the chance. It just feels better.

very good car
By anwar on 12/01/05 19:16 PM (PST)

2001 Volvo S60 2.4 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

i bought my volvo s60 for the safety features and looks,so far so good.

disappointed
By Paul on 10/13/05 20:34 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S60 T5 4dr Sedan (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

This is a great looking car that has a number of design flaws and reliability issues. The turning radius is way too large, the low profile tires fail at an alarming rate as do various bulbs. The warning lights for the bulb failures override all other info until fixed whereas the low gas indicator is invisible. The radio/sound controls are counter- intuitive. There are a number of rattles that I cannot find/fix. Most annoying is that the dealership, Dalzell Volvo, Dedham Mass. They either defend the design or lie about the problems. Dealer: "Low profile tire flats, never heard of it." Tire store: "Low profile tires are definitely more prone to road hazard damage."

Good Purchase
By Mike on 10/09/05 11:13 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S60 2.4T 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

We purchased this vehicle used with 29K miles on it after test driving nearly everything on the market. We had a few very minor issues after purchasing but the sales and service staff dealt with everything as if we were their only customer, perfectly. AC compressor kicking in is a little rough, gas mileage is great for the car size and weight (29-33 mpg). I traded my Mitsubishi Eclipse for this and never lost the sporty fun. I'm at 64K now and no issues. My 13 yr old wants it when i'm ready for my next Volvo.

I'm a Lifer!
By Edward on 08/26/05 22:39 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S60 2.4 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I commute 180 miles round trip each day and this car is a pleasure to sit in. I can even fit my 6'2" frame in the back and still be comfy. The safety features are amazing even the sunroof is safe! My s60 is quiet inside, except on bad roads it can get a little rough over bumps with no weight in the car. Cornering is actually pretty good, but bumps may require a bit of correction. Its smooth for a front drive car. My non turbo is actually really spunky. Maint. is a little expensive, but talking to other Volvo owners, they swear by the dependability of their cars...so far so good. I like the Volvo because not everyone has them...I'm very happy overall with my car

Great Car
By E H White on 08/10/05 20:32 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S60 T5 4dr Sedan (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

With over 50,000 miles, the car is still tight, quiet, good looking, and trouble free. The most comfortable front seats ever placed in a car, and oodles of power throughout the powerband. You just have to count to two and hold on. Handling is very good, but even better with Toyo Proxes 4 tires, rather than the stock Pirelli's. The Toyo tires are much noisier, however. I am amused by the owners (and magazine writers) who haven't read the manual. The gas cap DOES lock, There ARE separate bass and treble controls on the (great) radio, which I personally think has very intelligent and intuitive controls , and you CAN open the trunk without the key or a fob. Great car.

Lots of pros and cons
By Sara on 07/25/05 13:38 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S60 T5 4dr Sedan (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought a certified used S60 T5 from a great dealership. Unfortunately I moved and the dealerships I've dealt with in Los Angeles are pretty bad with customer service. Calabasas Volvo in particular is horrible. Anyway, I do really enjoy the car, but have been frustrated with some random problems that I think are unacceptable for a "luxury" car. Pros: 1) Very comfortable, wonderful seats and beautiful interior 2) adequate power and muscular feel 3) safe and stable Cons: 1) The turning radius is AWFUL. I cannot make U-turns, period. Ever. Even turning around in a parking lot is tough. 2) Visibility is really poor. 3) CD won't play burned CDs, often gets "stuck". 4) random electrical problems

Stay Away from the S60
By Jeff on 07/10/05 18:58 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S60 2.4T 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I loved this car for the first 3 years, but it has turned into a nightmare during the last year. I have poured more than $3,000 into repairs in just 10,000 miles past the 4 year/50,000 mile waranty. The throttle modulator went out at 50,750 miles. No help from Volvo and $500 to repair. Then a piston went out in the transmission at 54,000 again no help from Volvo, paid $2,000. Then at 56,000 the passenger door lock panel went out to the tune of another $400. Just recently I was getting gas and the fuel door fell off. $125 later I was back on the road to dump this dog. The biggest problem is that these are common problems with the S60s and Volvo (Ford) is ignoring them and the owners.

Great and Sporty (responsible) Car
By Chad on 04/26/05 23:20 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S60 T5 4dr Sedan (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

I test drove a Volvo S40 back in 2001, bought a Caddilac instead. I recently purchased an S60 T5 and don't know what I was thinking back in 2001. I really enjoy driving the S60 T5. Power is great, the most fun I have had driving a car.