2001 Volvo S60 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S60 model:
Sweet Ride
By Michael on 10/19/07 21:04 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S60 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

I replaced a '96 maxima that I rode hard for 200k with this car. The Maxima was fast for only 190hp. I wanted something that was fast. I had been looking for an s-60. 1st gear ain't much to talk about, throw it in second and with the right RPM, you've got a rocket. The high pressure turbo is different. I squeal the tires after it is in gear and the RPM goes up. The car is one of those classic designs that won't go out of style. (They modeled the new S80 after it.) I only wish I would have sprung for the later edition R60 with 300 HP. Maintenance ain't horrible but there are weird squeaks & rattles all over the car. My car has all the options for an '01, trackball 5-speed.

Could have been a lemon
By old one on 04/19/07 19:11 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

We purchased the Volvo S60 based on reputation. We were very disappointed. The car was always in the shop for one thing or another. Also frustrating, was having the car fixed and maintained. Finally, after less than 2 years of having the car, the sway bar broke. We turned it in, purchased a Maxima and have been happy since. Additional note - the only seat comfortable to ride in was the driver's seat. The back was very uncomfortable.

Run away
By kelleyga on 04/02/07 09:19 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Very dificult car to keep running. Averaged around $250 a mo to keep running. Kept losing its memory. Brake booster went out, suspension shot, transmission problems, turbo problems, oil leaks, multiple brake problems, wiring crumbling. And no one one knows how to work on it, they just throw parts at it. Dealer always says its mass air flow sensor, how maney in one year! Lost 15k in value in 2 yrs and still falling. Finally gave up and traded it in.

The Lupus Car
By Sara on 01/15/07 20:28 PM (PST)

2001 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This is the most unreliable car I have ever owned, in the few months of ownership the car has been towed 3 times. I fact it reminds me of the ford "exploder" I once owned. Where should I begin? at approx. 70,000 the rotors had to be replaced, the sunroof broke, both headlights and license plate lights burned out with the plastic casings needing to be replaced, the fuel injection caused the car to stall into limp mode (the first tow), the battery cables were loose causing (the second tow) the transmission is slipping causing the car to lurch forward, and the third tow is do to another stall with unknown causes. I have owned this car 4.5 months. I will never recommend a Volvo.

We'd buy another....and we did.
By Volvofamily on 12/29/06 14:26 PM (PST)

2001 Volvo S60 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

This car has been a joy ride....literally. No problems whatsoever and we just turned 105,000 miles. The only issue to date has been a factory recall on a throttle sensor. Rides smooth, great pick up, and has been a good car for long road trips. We upgraded to the XC90 for kids and our 75 pound English Bulldog (hope he can make the jump to the back seat). We'll report on that later...

Not your father's Volvo
By Will on 12/17/06 20:46 PM (PST)

2001 Volvo S60 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

I must say that this car is total junk. At 60,000 miles the transmission needed to be rebuilt, cost: $2,700. Strut mounts, control arm bushings, alternator, 3 engine mounts, 2 door locks went bad. Bulbs go out at least once ever 2 weeks. Has an annoying idle issue that is recurring and is attributed to dirt on the throttle body. Strange rattles and noises. DANGEROUSLY wide turning radius. I am VERY, VERY, disappointed with the build quality of Volvo.

Volvo Rocks!
By vovlomona on 12/13/06 05:32 AM (PST)

2001 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

What a fantastic car. Best I ever owned. The ad speaks volumes. VOLVO FOR LIFE!

fun but slow
By william newman on 12/10/06 16:39 PM (PST)

2001 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

As an accident reconstructionist, safety is #1. Volvo has always been the leader and that's why I drive one. Volvo's build quality is always 1 step up from most. Our 60 was used but certified with an extended warranty. The standard motor is adequate but not much acceleration. But it makes up for it in fuel economy 30mpg. The ride is a bit stiff. Would not recommend for long trips. Volvo replaced the transmission at 48k but it only cost of 50.00. I wouldn't buy any vehicle without an extended warranty. Volvo for at least part of my life.....

Love Hate Relationship
By Dennis on 07/19/06 21:57 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

If only the car was out of the shop long enough to enjoy driving it. I have owned this car for 5 years. Very high maintenance costs and major repair bills. Volvo seems now just like daddy Ford - hide the design flaws and fix only when the lawsuits and/or government finally steps in and forces the issue. I would love this car were it not for problems with the very heart of its performance-the electronic throttle module. Almost guaranteed to break - so much so that they have now agreed to warrant the darn thing up to 200,000 miles - and they'll replace it only after making you spend thousands in diagnostics and pre-repairs. Then, they replace with the same defective designed part! Unbelievable

My S60
By joeyedgins on 06/01/06 06:30 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

This car is awesome. I bought it with 85,000 miles on it. I had to immediately take it in for it's scheduled maintenance (90,000). The dealership didn't do anything to it before selling so I had to replace the control arm bushings, tighten the sunroof cables, download the latest transmission software for the transmission, adjust the engine heat shield, etc. (1,900 dollars including the scheduled maintenace at dealership) Do not let the price scare you! It is amazing car-especially if you want to keep your wife satisfied. I can't keep her out of it. She never drives her Mercedes anymore. The car has plenty of power for not being a Turbo. I willdrive until the wheels fall off!