2001 Volvo S60 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S60 model:
1st and last volvo
By rrh on 07/27/09 12:11 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S60 2.4 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Bought this s60 for looks, quality, safety record and name. Very bad decision..i have been replacing bulbs since i bought the car...any dealer service fee is outrageous..can't find anyone that wants to work on the thing..."limp home" throttle body experience was maddening and very dangerous..fuel pump o-ring seal is a terrible design..gas fumes inside the passenger compartment..i am now having a really crazy electrical problem..drive the car, shut it off and come back a few hours later to a totally drained battery..nothing left on..no evidence of what the problem might be...just a dead battery... really can't explain why i still own this car..absolutely the least reliable car have ever owned.

Not bad
By Proj on 06/23/09 12:37 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S60 T5 4dr Sedan (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is ok. I'm a true Volvo fan and this is a little disappointment in the reliability department coming from my '88 760 GLE. But it's so much fun to drive and very comfortable. If you get one of these, make sure the transmission fluid is clear and red and the transmission control module has up-to-date software! If the fluid is not clear and red, only use 3309 ATF when you change it. The transmission is very sensitive in these cars so be prepared for some serious upkeep on it. I've been fortunate so far.

Drive it 'till the wheels fall off
By Bet on 02/14/09 13:20 PM (PST)

2001 Volvo S60 2.4T 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I love my car however it has been costly to maintain. Many problems occurred during the warranty period which thank heavens were covered. I now have 164,000 miles on it and hope for 100,000 more at minimum! It is beautiful however it is hard to see out of the back, turning radius is too big and handling is not as tight as I would like. I have also experienced interior issues including loose door panels, broken dash knobs and broken gear shift knob! All in all I would recommend Volvo to others however the overall quality of the car needs to be improved to compete with other cars in its "class'.

A most unreliable great car
By Chuck P. Sacarmento on 12/16/08 20:51 PM (PST)

2001 Volvo S60 2.4T 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Stay far away from this great car! Its reliability and Volvo support stinks! This was our 2nd Volvo and our last! Suspension components that break every two years, oil leaks, constant bulb failures, gas door, trunk lock, and a failed transmission! The transmission was a known problem early in life of car that reduced its life. Volvo created a feature that resulted in premature trans failure. This is well documented. If your trans fails out of warranty, which it will, Volvo and the dealer will say tough.

I love it!
By Michelle on 09/17/08 12:03 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S60 2.4 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I bought my Volvo S60 new in 2001 and just turned 92,000 miles. For the most part, I have taken the car in for regular service maintenance. It has been a solid, reliable and fun to drive car. I have read some of the reviews below and I don't know why I haven't experienced any of the issues. The only thing I can say, is my car was maintained through the dealership. As the salesperson suggested, I changed the oil every 7,500 miles not the 3,500 recommended for most cars. Volvo has truly delivered with this car! The seats are comfortable. I have sat in the drivers and front, passenger seat and have absolutely no complaints.

I Love It
By Ariel on 06/10/08 22:24 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S60 2.4T 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought this car new in 2001 after having 3 Mercedes in a row. I love this Volvo! Zero problems in 7 years. Only have had scheduled oil changes, etc. I bought this car because I demolished my husband's Volvo Wagon on a trip, flipped and rolled it down a ravine -- and opened the door and walked away. I wanted that feeling of safety for myself and have not been disappointed.

Worst car I have ever owned
By TURNER on 05/28/08 10:11 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S60 2.4T 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This car had more problems than I care to think about. I babied this car and still had sensors go bad, sunroof broken, transmission go bad at 80000 miles, lights burnt out and impossible to adjust. And last but not least, the car's engine was shuttering when I traded it in, my guess, bad turbo charger. The gas mileage was decent, but nothing spectacular. 19 city and 28 highway.

Great car
By Matthew on 04/02/08 12:29 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S60 T5 4dr Sedan (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

I purchased this T5 with 50K on it from a Volvo dealer figuring they would have auctioned it off if it was bad. This car has been a joy to drive, fast and fun, with no machanical issues. At 113K, it still feels new. I have had a few repairs but no big deal over all. I will be looking to buy the R once I reach 200K on this one.

A good car to own
By turbos60 on 03/07/08 19:16 PM (PST)

2001 Volvo S60 T5 4dr Sedan (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

I'm 24 years old and I got the car when it first came out. I have never had problems with the car except the fuel door falling off. I have over a hundred thousand miles one the car and never had any issues. The next one I'm going to is going to be the volvo s60 R. I love the car and would not trade it in on anything. I purchased the evolve programmer and the advanced exhaust system and it opened the car up. if you have the money def get get the evolve kit.

Former volvo lover
By John on 12/14/07 20:28 PM (PST)

2001 Volvo S60 2.4 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I started with a 122s, then a 240. Loved them. Not this car. Bulbs constantly burning out from day 1. Dealer replaced rear control arms at 30K. Since then we've replaced another $2000 in suspension parts. Problems with air conditioner vents on hot days. They close, even though cold air is still present. Door lock system sometimes fails to lock the passenger door. Will never buy another Volvo.