Used 2001 Volvo S60 Consumer Reviews - 94 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S60 model:

Expensive junk!
By scott

2001 Volvo S60 2.4T 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Do not be seduced by the wonderful design and comfort of the '01 S60- it is a complete piece of junk! Transmission has failed, the interior is falling apart, front suspension is garbage (I have spent almost $4000 in front suspension repairs alone). This car is a money pit. And I only have 82,000 miles on it! I am done with it, and can't even sell it, so there it sits in my backyard collecting spiders. Do yourself a favor, buy the BMW 5 series instead, I should have!

I'll admit, it is a really great design.

Buy a BMW

A good car with some things to know
By Erik

2001 Volvo S60 2.4 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I love this car. The suspension is not sporty and the seats are like home theater recliners, so I get a nice comfortable ride. At 6'4" 230 I fit easily in the front seats. The fuel economy is also surprisingly strong, I get about 27 MPG. So what are the drawbacks? The electrical system hasn't cost me any large dollar figure, but I always seem to have to replace bulbs. And when replacing a front head lamp, be careful, the housing is brittle and easily broken. Also, adults can't fit very easily in the back seat. I'm glad I bought it, but I will look for something with a little more engine kick and a more spacious back seat in my next ride.

comfortable seats, great audio system, beautiful styling.

bigger back seat, improved electrical system.

Very Unreliable + Expensive to Maintain
By David

2001 Volvo S60 2.4T 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This is the worst car I've ever owned without question of the six total. It has expensive issues constantly popping up and has terrible rattles. I will never ever consider buying another Volvo. I can't wait to get rid of it. What a total disaster it has been. I regret the day I bought it. I don't normally complain about things, but they earned my scorn.

My favorite feature is when it runs without the check engine or service required light comes on. Unfortunately, that's not very often.

The best way to improve this car would be for Volvo to buy it back with an apology and premium for all the aggravation they've caused me.

Volvo for Life
By Stell

2001 Volvo S60 2.4 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I have owned my S60 since 2001, just hit 70k miles. It has been reliable and saved my life in a highway spinout at 70+mph. I have been lightly rear-ended twice and I felt nothing, barely any damage, this car holds up and I feel SAFE! It does well on gas mileage for long highway trips but is a total gas guzzler in the city. It performs well in winter weather. I change the oil every 3500 miles and keep up routine maintenance. Car is really spacious and the trunk holds a lot. Overall it has been a reliable, safe, easy-to-drive car and I receive many complement on its looks.

Seat warmers in winter! Smooth highway driving, little maintenance needed. Good turning radius, I park in a tight garage and it handles well turning corners.

Brake pad dust is excessive, especially on front wheels. Like others, my bulbs are always going out. I keep a bag of replacements in my trunk. Traction iffy in bad weather. Key fobs both stopped working at same time, reprogramming was very expensive!

A good BUY
By Sonja

2001 Volvo S60 2.4T 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Bought the S60 2.4T 1.5 years old (used) with 25,000 miles, because of it's good ratings and great price. Comparable Audi and VW models would have cost me $10,000 more and seemed harder to get. It's an overall excellent car. The ride can be a little hard due to it's suspension. This model EATS light bulbs with the dealer not being able to fix it. Overall very reliable and save vehicle!

Safety features! Sporty exterior. Modern interior. Looks as good and is nearly as comfortable as the S80 but cost less!

Electronic! Over and over light bulb failures with no fix in sight (according to VOLVO dealer). Hard suspension can make the ride rough.