2001 Volvo S60 Consumer Reviews 2

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
1st and last volvo
By rrh

2001 Volvo S60 2.4 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Bought this s60 for looks, quality, safety record and name. Very bad decision..i have been replacing bulbs since i bought the car...any dealer service fee is outrageous..can't find anyone that wants to work on the thing..."limp home" throttle body experience was maddening and very dangerous..fuel pump o-ring seal is a terrible design..gas fumes inside the passenger compartment..i am now having a really crazy electrical problem..drive the car, shut it off and come back a few hours later to a totally drained battery..nothing left on..no evidence of what the problem might be...just a dead battery... really can't explain why i still own this car..absolutely the least reliable car have ever owned.

Favorite Features

outside looks

Suggested Improvements

redesign car and admit that Ford has destroyed the reputation of Volvo..build less gimicky car..go back to solid quality tuff vehicle and i might consider owning one...on second thought probably no!

Not bad
By Proj

2001 Volvo S60 T5 4dr Sedan (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is ok. I'm a true Volvo fan and this is a little disappointment in the reliability department coming from my '88 760 GLE. But it's so much fun to drive and very comfortable. If you get one of these, make sure the transmission fluid is clear and red and the transmission control module has up-to-date software! If the fluid is not clear and red, only use 3309 ATF when you change it. The transmission is very sensitive in these cars so be prepared for some serious upkeep on it. I've been fortunate so far.

Favorite Features

High pressure turbo, comfortable seats, traction control, and winter mode.

Suggested Improvements

Definitely the transmission!

Drive it 'till the wheels fall off
By Bet

2001 Volvo S60 2.4T 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I love my car however it has been costly to maintain. Many problems occurred during the warranty period which thank heavens were covered. I now have 164,000 miles on it and hope for 100,000 more at minimum! It is beautiful however it is hard to see out of the back, turning radius is too big and handling is not as tight as I would like. I have also experienced interior issues including loose door panels, broken dash knobs and broken gear shift knob! All in all I would recommend Volvo to others however the overall quality of the car needs to be improved to compete with other cars in its "class'.

Favorite Features

Seats

Suggested Improvements

Handling, reliability

A most unreliable great car
By Chuck P. Sacarmento

2001 Volvo S60 2.4T 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Stay far away from this great car! Its reliability and Volvo support stinks! This was our 2nd Volvo and our last! Suspension components that break every two years, oil leaks, constant bulb failures, gas door, trunk lock, and a failed transmission! The transmission was a known problem early in life of car that reduced its life. Volvo created a feature that resulted in premature trans failure. This is well documented. If your trans fails out of warranty, which it will, Volvo and the dealer will say tough.

Favorite Features

Safety, styling, handling, comfort. Simply one of the best looking cars that has not shown its age since 2001.

Suggested Improvements

How many customers must you loose because you will not be accountable to fix an unreliable model, This is a nothing but one of the all time least reliable cars made!

I love it!
By Michelle

2001 Volvo S60 2.4 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I bought my Volvo S60 new in 2001 and just turned 92,000 miles. For the most part, I have taken the car in for regular service maintenance. It has been a solid, reliable and fun to drive car. I have read some of the reviews below and I don't know why I haven't experienced any of the issues. The only thing I can say, is my car was maintained through the dealership. As the salesperson suggested, I changed the oil every 7,500 miles not the 3,500 recommended for most cars. Volvo has truly delivered with this car! The seats are comfortable. I have sat in the drivers and front, passenger seat and have absolutely no complaints.

Favorite Features

The reliablity along with the classic design of the exterior makes this a car I am proud to drive everyday. The cabin is very spacious! Most of the time, I am able to make a u-turn without having to make any corrections.

Suggested Improvements

Keep up the good work Volvo!

I Love It
By Ariel

2001 Volvo S60 2.4T 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought this car new in 2001 after having 3 Mercedes in a row. I love this Volvo! Zero problems in 7 years. Only have had scheduled oil changes, etc. I bought this car because I demolished my husband's Volvo Wagon on a trip, flipped and rolled it down a ravine -- and opened the door and walked away. I wanted that feeling of safety for myself and have not been disappointed.

Favorite Features

I love the sporty way it handles, and the quick response. The brakes are fantastic. When I need it to move it responds smoothly and quickly. Gas mileage is acceptable. I feel safe in this car.

Suggested Improvements

It is front wheel drive and I would really prefer rear wheel drive. But, I am very happy with the way it is.

Worst car I have ever owned
By TURNER

2001 Volvo S60 2.4T 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This car had more problems than I care to think about. I babied this car and still had sensors go bad, sunroof broken, transmission go bad at 80000 miles, lights burnt out and impossible to adjust. And last but not least, the car's engine was shuttering when I traded it in, my guess, bad turbo charger. The gas mileage was decent, but nothing spectacular. 19 city and 28 highway.

Favorite Features

The seats were great and so was the handling when the car actually ran properly.

Suggested Improvements

I hope that Volvo rebuilt this car from the ground up after its debut in 2001.

Great car
By Matthew

2001 Volvo S60 T5 4dr Sedan (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

I purchased this T5 with 50K on it from a Volvo dealer figuring they would have auctioned it off if it was bad. This car has been a joy to drive, fast and fun, with no machanical issues. At 113K, it still feels new. I have had a few repairs but no big deal over all. I will be looking to buy the R once I reach 200K on this one.

Favorite Features

Seat comfort.

Suggested Improvements

None

A good car to own
By turbos60

2001 Volvo S60 T5 4dr Sedan (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

I'm 24 years old and I got the car when it first came out. I have never had problems with the car except the fuel door falling off. I have over a hundred thousand miles one the car and never had any issues. The next one I'm going to is going to be the volvo s60 R. I love the car and would not trade it in on anything. I purchased the evolve programmer and the advanced exhaust system and it opened the car up. if you have the money def get get the evolve kit.

Favorite Features

Fun car to drive, very comfortable and handles very well.

Former volvo lover
By John

2001 Volvo S60 2.4 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I started with a 122s, then a 240. Loved them. Not this car. Bulbs constantly burning out from day 1. Dealer replaced rear control arms at 30K. Since then we've replaced another $2000 in suspension parts. Problems with air conditioner vents on hot days. They close, even though cold air is still present. Door lock system sometimes fails to lock the passenger door. Will never buy another Volvo.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats, lots of room. Reasonable gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the quality.