2001 Volvo S60 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S60 model:
Not bad
By Proj on 06/23/09 12:37 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S60 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is ok. I'm a true Volvo fan and this is a little disappointment in the reliability department coming from my '88 760 GLE. But it's so much fun to drive and very comfortable. If you get one of these, make sure the transmission fluid is clear and red and the transmission control module has up-to-date software! If the fluid is not clear and red, only use 3309 ATF when you change it. The transmission is very sensitive in these cars so be prepared for some serious upkeep on it. I've been fortunate so far.

Great car
By Matthew on 04/02/08 12:29 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S60 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

I purchased this T5 with 50K on it from a Volvo dealer figuring they would have auctioned it off if it was bad. This car has been a joy to drive, fast and fun, with no machanical issues. At 113K, it still feels new. I have had a few repairs but no big deal over all. I will be looking to buy the R once I reach 200K on this one.

A good car to own
By turbos60 on 03/07/08 19:16 PM (PST)

2001 Volvo S60 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

I'm 24 years old and I got the car when it first came out. I have never had problems with the car except the fuel door falling off. I have over a hundred thousand miles one the car and never had any issues. The next one I'm going to is going to be the volvo s60 R. I love the car and would not trade it in on anything. I purchased the evolve programmer and the advanced exhaust system and it opened the car up. if you have the money def get get the evolve kit.

Sweet Ride
By Michael on 10/19/07 21:04 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S60 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

I replaced a '96 maxima that I rode hard for 200k with this car. The Maxima was fast for only 190hp. I wanted something that was fast. I had been looking for an s-60. 1st gear ain't much to talk about, throw it in second and with the right RPM, you've got a rocket. The high pressure turbo is different. I squeal the tires after it is in gear and the RPM goes up. The car is one of those classic designs that won't go out of style. (They modeled the new S80 after it.) I only wish I would have sprung for the later edition R60 with 300 HP. Maintenance ain't horrible but there are weird squeaks & rattles all over the car. My car has all the options for an '01, trackball 5-speed.

We'd buy another....and we did.
By Volvofamily on 12/29/06 14:26 PM (PST)

2001 Volvo S60 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

This car has been a joy ride....literally. No problems whatsoever and we just turned 105,000 miles. The only issue to date has been a factory recall on a throttle sensor. Rides smooth, great pick up, and has been a good car for long road trips. We upgraded to the XC90 for kids and our 75 pound English Bulldog (hope he can make the jump to the back seat). We'll report on that later...

Not your father's Volvo
By Will on 12/17/06 20:46 PM (PST)

2001 Volvo S60 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

I must say that this car is total junk. At 60,000 miles the transmission needed to be rebuilt, cost: $2,700. Strut mounts, control arm bushings, alternator, 3 engine mounts, 2 door locks went bad. Bulbs go out at least once ever 2 weeks. Has an annoying idle issue that is recurring and is attributed to dirt on the throttle body. Strange rattles and noises. DANGEROUSLY wide turning radius. I am VERY, VERY, disappointed with the build quality of Volvo.

Fun and Safe
By chicagomatt on 04/07/06 17:10 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S60 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

My family are loyal Volvo owners. I, being in my 20s, have always owned 2 door, sporty cars. Then, I bought a S60T5 with every option. It is an amazing car that my friends love to ride, drive, and be seen in. The optional sport shift is great for passing and provides better control of the vehicle in all weather. Interior is sporty. The optional 4 disc indash cd and Dolby surround system is amazing qualtiy, even for the most picky of ears (whether you are listening to RENT or Van Halen). Plus, you have the ultimate car for safety with all safety standard. The only complaint is sport tires/wheels can rub against the wheel wells if turned too hard. Otherwise, the car is exceptional!

Silky Smooth Swedish Thing!!
By John M. on 03/03/06 16:02 PM (PST)

2001 Volvo S60 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

If this car were a woman, it would be the one you'd never forget. Maybe it has a few quirks, maybe the turning radius is slim, maybe controls aren't instantly intuitive. But the S60 has a silky smoothness everywhere your hands touch. And the T5 is more than just a pretty face. There's something about a very comfortable driving position with a huge amount of power underfoot and silky smooth controls at your fingertips that make this Volvo an unforgettable experience. Granted, I've only had mine for four months and 5K mi., so my impressions might be premature. But I almost always opt for driving the T5 over my BMW X5 when I have the chance. It just feels better.

disappointed
By Paul on 10/13/05 20:34 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S60 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

This is a great looking car that has a number of design flaws and reliability issues. The turning radius is way too large, the low profile tires fail at an alarming rate as do various bulbs. The warning lights for the bulb failures override all other info until fixed whereas the low gas indicator is invisible. The radio/sound controls are counter- intuitive. There are a number of rattles that I cannot find/fix. Most annoying is that the dealership, Dalzell Volvo, Dedham Mass. They either defend the design or lie about the problems. Dealer: "Low profile tire flats, never heard of it." Tire store: "Low profile tires are definitely more prone to road hazard damage."

Great Car
By E H White on 08/10/05 20:32 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S60 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

With over 50,000 miles, the car is still tight, quiet, good looking, and trouble free. The most comfortable front seats ever placed in a car, and oodles of power throughout the powerband. You just have to count to two and hold on. Handling is very good, but even better with Toyo Proxes 4 tires, rather than the stock Pirelli's. The Toyo tires are much noisier, however. I am amused by the owners (and magazine writers) who haven't read the manual. The gas cap DOES lock, There ARE separate bass and treble controls on the (great) radio, which I personally think has very intelligent and intuitive controls , and you CAN open the trunk without the key or a fob. Great car.