2001 Volvo S60 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S60 model:
153,000 miles and still tight as a drum
By slcraft on 01/15/12 16:19 PM (PST)

2001 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought this car and have owned it for a year. It was bought used as a two owner of lease. For the year, miles, safety features and modern amenities/luxury items if offered it was the most car for the money I could afford that was also the safest. Mine is still super tight and rattle free. I was able to get the TPS (throttle position sensor) which is about a 1000-1500 repair done free at my dealership because it was a recalled (ww.vexedvolvo.com) and DO NOT buy a car that hasn't had it replaced, they all fail. They warranty is 10 years and 200,000 miles for replacement. Other than that it has been trouble free. Make sure tranny fluid has been changed and timing belt done too!

My Volvo
By 82airborne on 09/27/11 15:31 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I have to be honest I read some reviews and was quite in disbelief of the what people said. I just bought a used Volvo that has 217,854 miles on it and it runs perfect. Basically what it boils down to is that my car had 1 owner who bought the car in 2001. If you dont take care of your car it wont run 217,000 miles..period!. i want to hear stuff like the light bulbs are easy to fix but the housing is brittle so be careful. I dont want to hear "this transmission sucks i bought the car in 2001 owned it for 4 years and never changed the oil in it and it blew up..Worst engine Ever!" because then you sound dumb and I learn nothing....so thanks and no i dont work for volvo im in the army i work

I HATE this car!
By manofsteel05 on 06/14/11 10:06 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This car is an absolute nightmare! I've had this car for 5 months and its spent most of the time in the shop. This car has MAJOR transmission problems. $3200 to rebuild the transmission and its still not working properly. The front suspension stinks, it has major design flaws and wears out prematurely. I just replaced the right side CV joint, control arms, sway bar links and tie rod assemblies. $1000 plus. The cooling fan went bad (previously replaced in a recall) and blew out my heater core $1200. I haven't dealt with my ETM but from what I heard its only a matter of time until mine dies. $1000 Do not read any of the early posts, the most recent posts are when the problems begin.

at 68K need to get new car
By Kathy, Mtn View on 11/29/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I have had the S60 for 10 years now, it has never left me stranded but I never get more than 20 MPG, even for a long trip. Had to replace the sunroof, now it seems the radiator is leaking, the transmission seems quirky, it has trouble shifting into higher gear so that may be sign of trouble, at 68K would not expect any of those items to be an issue. So at this point I am in process of looking for a good used car, will trade this in.

Expensive junk!
By scott on 08/30/10 14:29 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Do not be seduced by the wonderful design and comfort of the '01 S60- it is a complete piece of junk! Transmission has failed, the interior is falling apart, front suspension is garbage (I have spent almost $4000 in front suspension repairs alone). This car is a money pit. And I only have 82,000 miles on it! I am done with it, and can't even sell it, so there it sits in my backyard collecting spiders. Do yourself a favor, buy the BMW 5 series instead, I should have!

Very Unreliable + Expensive to Maintain
By David on 03/03/10 14:16 PM (PST)

2001 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This is the worst car I've ever owned without question of the six total. It has expensive issues constantly popping up and has terrible rattles. I will never ever consider buying another Volvo. I can't wait to get rid of it. What a total disaster it has been. I regret the day I bought it. I don't normally complain about things, but they earned my scorn.

A good BUY
By Sonja on 11/30/09 15:19 PM (PST)

2001 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Bought the S60 2.4T 1.5 years old (used) with 25,000 miles, because of it's good ratings and great price. Comparable Audi and VW models would have cost me $10,000 more and seemed harder to get. It's an overall excellent car. The ride can be a little hard due to it's suspension. This model EATS light bulbs with the dealer not being able to fix it. Overall very reliable and save vehicle!

Drive it 'till the wheels fall off
By Bet on 02/14/09 13:20 PM (PST)

2001 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I love my car however it has been costly to maintain. Many problems occurred during the warranty period which thank heavens were covered. I now have 164,000 miles on it and hope for 100,000 more at minimum! It is beautiful however it is hard to see out of the back, turning radius is too big and handling is not as tight as I would like. I have also experienced interior issues including loose door panels, broken dash knobs and broken gear shift knob! All in all I would recommend Volvo to others however the overall quality of the car needs to be improved to compete with other cars in its "class'.

A most unreliable great car
By Chuck P. Sacarmento on 12/16/08 20:51 PM (PST)

2001 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Stay far away from this great car! Its reliability and Volvo support stinks! This was our 2nd Volvo and our last! Suspension components that break every two years, oil leaks, constant bulb failures, gas door, trunk lock, and a failed transmission! The transmission was a known problem early in life of car that reduced its life. Volvo created a feature that resulted in premature trans failure. This is well documented. If your trans fails out of warranty, which it will, Volvo and the dealer will say tough.

I Love It
By Ariel on 06/10/08 22:24 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought this car new in 2001 after having 3 Mercedes in a row. I love this Volvo! Zero problems in 7 years. Only have had scheduled oil changes, etc. I bought this car because I demolished my husband's Volvo Wagon on a trip, flipped and rolled it down a ravine -- and opened the door and walked away. I wanted that feeling of safety for myself and have not been disappointed.

1 2 3 4 5 next »