2001 Volvo S60 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S60 model:
I love my S60
By tfoster123 on 05/02/12 17:50 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I actually recieved this car at 192,000 miles, but I had been driving it as a family car from 168,000. We LOVE this car. My father and I do all the maintainence ourselves because let's just face it, Volvo's prices are nuts. At 198,884 (as of today) there are a few problems. My A/C cuts out after about 15 minutes, and I cannot turn it on if I want to get on the freeway. I also have a very rocky shifting, but have never had any real transmission issues as of now (knock on wood) and the suspension is less than desirable. However for a 18 year old? This was a great car to inherit. Other than the problems listed above, I love this car.

153,000 miles and still tight as a drum
By slcraft on 01/15/12 16:19 PM (PST)

2001 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought this car and have owned it for a year. It was bought used as a two owner of lease. For the year, miles, safety features and modern amenities/luxury items if offered it was the most car for the money I could afford that was also the safest. Mine is still super tight and rattle free. I was able to get the TPS (throttle position sensor) which is about a 1000-1500 repair done free at my dealership because it was a recalled (ww.vexedvolvo.com) and DO NOT buy a car that hasn't had it replaced, they all fail. They warranty is 10 years and 200,000 miles for replacement. Other than that it has been trouble free. Make sure tranny fluid has been changed and timing belt done too!

My Volvo
By 82airborne on 09/27/11 15:31 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I have to be honest I read some reviews and was quite in disbelief of the what people said. I just bought a used Volvo that has 217,854 miles on it and it runs perfect. Basically what it boils down to is that my car had 1 owner who bought the car in 2001. If you dont take care of your car it wont run 217,000 miles..period!. i want to hear stuff like the light bulbs are easy to fix but the housing is brittle so be careful. I dont want to hear "this transmission sucks i bought the car in 2001 owned it for 4 years and never changed the oil in it and it blew up..Worst engine Ever!" because then you sound dumb and I learn nothing....so thanks and no i dont work for volvo im in the army i work

I HATE this car!
By manofsteel05 on 06/14/11 10:06 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This car is an absolute nightmare! I've had this car for 5 months and its spent most of the time in the shop. This car has MAJOR transmission problems. $3200 to rebuild the transmission and its still not working properly. The front suspension stinks, it has major design flaws and wears out prematurely. I just replaced the right side CV joint, control arms, sway bar links and tie rod assemblies. $1000 plus. The cooling fan went bad (previously replaced in a recall) and blew out my heater core $1200. I haven't dealt with my ETM but from what I heard its only a matter of time until mine dies. $1000 Do not read any of the early posts, the most recent posts are when the problems begin.

at 68K need to get new car
By Kathy, Mtn View on 11/29/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I have had the S60 for 10 years now, it has never left me stranded but I never get more than 20 MPG, even for a long trip. Had to replace the sunroof, now it seems the radiator is leaking, the transmission seems quirky, it has trouble shifting into higher gear so that may be sign of trouble, at 68K would not expect any of those items to be an issue. So at this point I am in process of looking for a good used car, will trade this in.

Expensive junk!
By scott on 08/30/10 14:29 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Do not be seduced by the wonderful design and comfort of the '01 S60- it is a complete piece of junk! Transmission has failed, the interior is falling apart, front suspension is garbage (I have spent almost $4000 in front suspension repairs alone). This car is a money pit. And I only have 82,000 miles on it! I am done with it, and can't even sell it, so there it sits in my backyard collecting spiders. Do yourself a favor, buy the BMW 5 series instead, I should have!

A good car with some things to know
By Erik on 07/07/10 13:32 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I love this car. The suspension is not sporty and the seats are like home theater recliners, so I get a nice comfortable ride. At 6'4" 230 I fit easily in the front seats. The fuel economy is also surprisingly strong, I get about 27 MPG. So what are the drawbacks? The electrical system hasn't cost me any large dollar figure, but I always seem to have to replace bulbs. And when replacing a front head lamp, be careful, the housing is brittle and easily broken. Also, adults can't fit very easily in the back seat. I'm glad I bought it, but I will look for something with a little more engine kick and a more spacious back seat in my next ride.

Very Unreliable + Expensive to Maintain
By David on 03/03/10 14:16 PM (PST)

2001 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This is the worst car I've ever owned without question of the six total. It has expensive issues constantly popping up and has terrible rattles. I will never ever consider buying another Volvo. I can't wait to get rid of it. What a total disaster it has been. I regret the day I bought it. I don't normally complain about things, but they earned my scorn.

Volvo for Life
By Stell on 01/05/10 18:38 PM (PST)

2001 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I have owned my S60 since 2001, just hit 70k miles. It has been reliable and saved my life in a highway spinout at 70+mph. I have been lightly rear-ended twice and I felt nothing, barely any damage, this car holds up and I feel SAFE! It does well on gas mileage for long highway trips but is a total gas guzzler in the city. It performs well in winter weather. I change the oil every 3500 miles and keep up routine maintenance. Car is really spacious and the trunk holds a lot. Overall it has been a reliable, safe, easy-to-drive car and I receive many complement on its looks.

A good BUY
By Sonja on 11/30/09 15:19 PM (PST)

2001 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Bought the S60 2.4T 1.5 years old (used) with 25,000 miles, because of it's good ratings and great price. Comparable Audi and VW models would have cost me $10,000 more and seemed harder to get. It's an overall excellent car. The ride can be a little hard due to it's suspension. This model EATS light bulbs with the dealer not being able to fix it. Overall very reliable and save vehicle!