2001 Volvo S60 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S60 model:
I love my S60
By tfoster123 on 05/02/12 17:50 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S60 2.4 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I actually recieved this car at 192,000 miles, but I had been driving it as a family car from 168,000. We LOVE this car. My father and I do all the maintainence ourselves because let's just face it, Volvo's prices are nuts. At 198,884 (as of today) there are a few problems. My A/C cuts out after about 15 minutes, and I cannot turn it on if I want to get on the freeway. I also have a very rocky shifting, but have never had any real transmission issues as of now (knock on wood) and the suspension is less than desirable. However for a 18 year old? This was a great car to inherit. Other than the problems listed above, I love this car.

A good car with some things to know
By Erik on 07/07/10 13:32 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S60 2.4 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I love this car. The suspension is not sporty and the seats are like home theater recliners, so I get a nice comfortable ride. At 6'4" 230 I fit easily in the front seats. The fuel economy is also surprisingly strong, I get about 27 MPG. So what are the drawbacks? The electrical system hasn't cost me any large dollar figure, but I always seem to have to replace bulbs. And when replacing a front head lamp, be careful, the housing is brittle and easily broken. Also, adults can't fit very easily in the back seat. I'm glad I bought it, but I will look for something with a little more engine kick and a more spacious back seat in my next ride.

Volvo for Life
By Stell on 01/05/10 18:38 PM (PST)

2001 Volvo S60 2.4 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I have owned my S60 since 2001, just hit 70k miles. It has been reliable and saved my life in a highway spinout at 70+mph. I have been lightly rear-ended twice and I felt nothing, barely any damage, this car holds up and I feel SAFE! It does well on gas mileage for long highway trips but is a total gas guzzler in the city. It performs well in winter weather. I change the oil every 3500 miles and keep up routine maintenance. Car is really spacious and the trunk holds a lot. Overall it has been a reliable, safe, easy-to-drive car and I receive many complement on its looks.

1st and last volvo
By rrh on 07/27/09 12:11 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S60 2.4 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Bought this s60 for looks, quality, safety record and name. Very bad decision..i have been replacing bulbs since i bought the car...any dealer service fee is outrageous..can't find anyone that wants to work on the thing..."limp home" throttle body experience was maddening and very dangerous..fuel pump o-ring seal is a terrible design..gas fumes inside the passenger compartment..i am now having a really crazy electrical problem..drive the car, shut it off and come back a few hours later to a totally drained battery..nothing left on..no evidence of what the problem might be...just a dead battery... really can't explain why i still own this car..absolutely the least reliable car have ever owned.

I love it!
By Michelle on 09/17/08 12:03 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S60 2.4 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I bought my Volvo S60 new in 2001 and just turned 92,000 miles. For the most part, I have taken the car in for regular service maintenance. It has been a solid, reliable and fun to drive car. I have read some of the reviews below and I don't know why I haven't experienced any of the issues. The only thing I can say, is my car was maintained through the dealership. As the salesperson suggested, I changed the oil every 7,500 miles not the 3,500 recommended for most cars. Volvo has truly delivered with this car! The seats are comfortable. I have sat in the drivers and front, passenger seat and have absolutely no complaints.

Former volvo lover
By John on 12/14/07 20:28 PM (PST)

2001 Volvo S60 2.4 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I started with a 122s, then a 240. Loved them. Not this car. Bulbs constantly burning out from day 1. Dealer replaced rear control arms at 30K. Since then we've replaced another $2000 in suspension parts. Problems with air conditioner vents on hot days. They close, even though cold air is still present. Door lock system sometimes fails to lock the passenger door. Will never buy another Volvo.

Volvo Rocks!
By vovlomona on 12/13/06 05:32 AM (PST)

2001 Volvo S60 2.4 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

What a fantastic car. Best I ever owned. The ad speaks volumes. VOLVO FOR LIFE!

fun but slow
By william newman on 12/10/06 16:39 PM (PST)

2001 Volvo S60 2.4 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

As an accident reconstructionist, safety is #1. Volvo has always been the leader and that's why I drive one. Volvo's build quality is always 1 step up from most. Our 60 was used but certified with an extended warranty. The standard motor is adequate but not much acceleration. But it makes up for it in fuel economy 30mpg. The ride is a bit stiff. Would not recommend for long trips. Volvo replaced the transmission at 48k but it only cost of 50.00. I wouldn't buy any vehicle without an extended warranty. Volvo for at least part of my life.....

My S60
By joeyedgins on 06/01/06 06:30 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S60 2.4 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

This car is awesome. I bought it with 85,000 miles on it. I had to immediately take it in for it's scheduled maintenance (90,000). The dealership didn't do anything to it before selling so I had to replace the control arm bushings, tighten the sunroof cables, download the latest transmission software for the transmission, adjust the engine heat shield, etc. (1,900 dollars including the scheduled maintenace at dealership) Do not let the price scare you! It is amazing car-especially if you want to keep your wife satisfied. I can't keep her out of it. She never drives her Mercedes anymore. The car has plenty of power for not being a Turbo. I willdrive until the wheels fall off!

very good car
By anwar on 12/01/05 19:16 PM (PST)

2001 Volvo S60 2.4 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

i bought my volvo s60 for the safety features and looks,so far so good.