Used 2001 Volvo S60 2.4 Consumer Reviews - 30 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S60 model:

I love my S60
By tfoster123

2001 Volvo S60 2.4 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I actually recieved this car at 192,000 miles, but I had been driving it as a family car from 168,000. We LOVE this car. My father and I do all the maintainence ourselves because let's just face it, Volvo's prices are nuts. At 198,884 (as of today) there are a few problems. My A/C cuts out after about 15 minutes, and I cannot turn it on if I want to get on the freeway. I also have a very rocky shifting, but have never had any real transmission issues as of now (knock on wood) and the suspension is less than desirable. However for a 18 year old? This was a great car to inherit. Other than the problems listed above, I love this car.

Driveability, Speaker system, Smoothness

The turning radius is awful. It's like parking a mack truck. If you have a 2001 s60 and haven't replaced the throttle sensor, do it. Mine went out while I was on the road. The o2 sensors on the car go bad all the time. Makes it difficult to pass emissions.

A good car with some things to know
By Erik

2001 Volvo S60 2.4 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I love this car. The suspension is not sporty and the seats are like home theater recliners, so I get a nice comfortable ride. At 6'4" 230 I fit easily in the front seats. The fuel economy is also surprisingly strong, I get about 27 MPG. So what are the drawbacks? The electrical system hasn't cost me any large dollar figure, but I always seem to have to replace bulbs. And when replacing a front head lamp, be careful, the housing is brittle and easily broken. Also, adults can't fit very easily in the back seat. I'm glad I bought it, but I will look for something with a little more engine kick and a more spacious back seat in my next ride.

comfortable seats, great audio system, beautiful styling.

bigger back seat, improved electrical system.

Volvo for Life
By Stell

2001 Volvo S60 2.4 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I have owned my S60 since 2001, just hit 70k miles. It has been reliable and saved my life in a highway spinout at 70+mph. I have been lightly rear-ended twice and I felt nothing, barely any damage, this car holds up and I feel SAFE! It does well on gas mileage for long highway trips but is a total gas guzzler in the city. It performs well in winter weather. I change the oil every 3500 miles and keep up routine maintenance. Car is really spacious and the trunk holds a lot. Overall it has been a reliable, safe, easy-to-drive car and I receive many complement on its looks.

Seat warmers in winter! Smooth highway driving, little maintenance needed. Good turning radius, I park in a tight garage and it handles well turning corners.

Brake pad dust is excessive, especially on front wheels. Like others, my bulbs are always going out. I keep a bag of replacements in my trunk. Traction iffy in bad weather. Key fobs both stopped working at same time, reprogramming was very expensive!

1st and last volvo
By rrh

2001 Volvo S60 2.4 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Bought this s60 for looks, quality, safety record and name. Very bad decision..i have been replacing bulbs since i bought the car...any dealer service fee is outrageous..can't find anyone that wants to work on the thing..."limp home" throttle body experience was maddening and very dangerous..fuel pump o-ring seal is a terrible design..gas fumes inside the passenger compartment..i am now having a really crazy electrical problem..drive the car, shut it off and come back a few hours later to a totally drained battery..nothing left on..no evidence of what the problem might be...just a dead battery... really can't explain why i still own this car..absolutely the least reliable car have ever owned.

outside looks

redesign car and admit that Ford has destroyed the reputation of Volvo..build less gimicky car..go back to solid quality tuff vehicle and i might consider owning one...on second thought probably no!

I love it!
By Michelle

2001 Volvo S60 2.4 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I bought my Volvo S60 new in 2001 and just turned 92,000 miles. For the most part, I have taken the car in for regular service maintenance. It has been a solid, reliable and fun to drive car. I have read some of the reviews below and I don't know why I haven't experienced any of the issues. The only thing I can say, is my car was maintained through the dealership. As the salesperson suggested, I changed the oil every 7,500 miles not the 3,500 recommended for most cars. Volvo has truly delivered with this car! The seats are comfortable. I have sat in the drivers and front, passenger seat and have absolutely no complaints.

The reliablity along with the classic design of the exterior makes this a car I am proud to drive everyday. The cabin is very spacious! Most of the time, I am able to make a u-turn without having to make any corrections.

Keep up the good work Volvo!