Used 2001 Volvo S60 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volvo S60 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S60 model:

I love my S60
By tfoster123

2001 Volvo S60 2.4 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I actually recieved this car at 192,000 miles, but I had been driving it as a family car from 168,000. We LOVE this car. My father and I do all the maintainence ourselves because let's just face it, Volvo's prices are nuts. At 198,884 (as of today) there are a few problems. My A/C cuts out after about 15 minutes, and I cannot turn it on if I want to get on the freeway. I also have a very rocky shifting, but have never had any real transmission issues as of now (knock on wood) and the suspension is less than desirable. However for a 18 year old? This was a great car to inherit. Other than the problems listed above, I love this car.

Driveability, Speaker system, Smoothness

The turning radius is awful. It's like parking a mack truck. If you have a 2001 s60 and haven't replaced the throttle sensor, do it. Mine went out while I was on the road. The o2 sensors on the car go bad all the time. Makes it difficult to pass emissions.

153,000 miles and still tight as a drum
By slcraft

2001 Volvo S60 2.4T 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought this car and have owned it for a year. It was bought used as a two owner of lease. For the year, miles, safety features and modern amenities/luxury items if offered it was the most car for the money I could afford that was also the safest. Mine is still super tight and rattle free. I was able to get the TPS (throttle position sensor) which is about a 1000-1500 repair done free at my dealership because it was a recalled (ww.vexedvolvo.com) and DO NOT buy a car that hasn't had it replaced, they all fail. They warranty is 10 years and 200,000 miles for replacement. Other than that it has been trouble free. Make sure tranny fluid has been changed and timing belt done too!

Power from 2.4T and torque, heated seats, comfort of seats, modern and clean design has stood the test of time well. Great stereo, nice ride, decent handling and steering, great brakes. Safety features such as ABS, ASR, side airbags and WIPS. Low resale value gives it a great edge on Audi A4/BMW entry models by 1000-2000 bucks. Nice dash design, strong A/C, 5sp auto, one touch front windows and sunroof, remote entry, nice alloys, split rear seatbacks, lots of ahead of the time features for 2001

The lid on the cup holders failed so I removed it. Volvo later improved it on newer models. Rear seats are tight, brake dust buildup is horrible on wheels. Black plastic tends to fade and turn gray over time. Leather isn't of the highest quality and can crack if not conditioned. More sound deadening materials to cut road rumble would have been nice. DO NOT BUY THIS MODEL 2001 and 2002 especially if it has not had the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) fixed and replaced!!! www.vexedvolvo.com better explains this "quiet recall" Also make sure the timing belt was done as it is a $600 repair. Also make sure your automatic transmission is serviced regularly and fluid changed or it will fail.

My Volvo
By 82airborne

2001 Volvo S60 2.4T 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I have to be honest I read some reviews and was quite in disbelief of the what people said. I just bought a used Volvo that has 217,854 miles on it and it runs perfect. Basically what it boils down to is that my car had 1 owner who bought the car in 2001. If you dont take care of your car it wont run 217,000 miles..period!. i want to hear stuff like the light bulbs are easy to fix but the housing is brittle so be careful. I dont want to hear "this transmission sucks i bought the car in 2001 owned it for 4 years and never changed the oil in it and it blew up..Worst engine Ever!" because then you sound dumb and I learn nothing....so thanks and no i dont work for volvo im in the army i work

leather seats, heated seats, sunroof, telescoping.

more leg room in the back,

I HATE this car!
By manofsteel05

2001 Volvo S60 2.4T 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This car is an absolute nightmare! I've had this car for 5 months and its spent most of the time in the shop. This car has MAJOR transmission problems. $3200 to rebuild the transmission and its still not working properly. The front suspension stinks, it has major design flaws and wears out prematurely. I just replaced the right side CV joint, control arms, sway bar links and tie rod assemblies. $1000 plus. The cooling fan went bad (previously replaced in a recall) and blew out my heater core $1200. I haven't dealt with my ETM but from what I heard its only a matter of time until mine dies. $1000 Do not read any of the early posts, the most recent posts are when the problems begin.

The front seats are super comfortable. Quick to accelerate from a stop. Stylish design.

Where do I start? Probably with why is there no latch inside the car to open the trunk?! The transmission is junk, supposedly the valve body was the cause of the problem. '02 same problems, but transmission shop has seen even newer ones in with similiar problems. The suspension is poorly designed. I could go on and on, but I need to figure out what to do with this piece of junk!

at 68K need to get new car
By Kathy, Mtn View

2001 Volvo S60 2.4T 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I have had the S60 for 10 years now, it has never left me stranded but I never get more than 20 MPG, even for a long trip. Had to replace the sunroof, now it seems the radiator is leaking, the transmission seems quirky, it has trouble shifting into higher gear so that may be sign of trouble, at 68K would not expect any of those items to be an issue. So at this point I am in process of looking for a good used car, will trade this in.

The seats are comfortable and it has a good safety rating.

improve quality oerall, replace the pop-out cup holder. Give honest estimate of MPG. When I think that at 68K had to replace sunroof, that is ridiculous.