2009 Volvo S40 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S40 model:
Volvo S40 D 1.6 RDesign
By albaad on 06/08/12 15:05 PM (PDT)

2009 Volvo S40 T5 R-Design 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Do not buy! I bought a Volvo when my daughter was born in 2009 selling my super reliant 1.7 Puma. The engine failed after just over 2 years. As I had had my 2nd year service late (less than 1000 miles) Volvo said the warranty was void. The customer care team refused to speak to me. 7 days after spending 6,000 on a new engine the new engine fails in the same way as the previous one. The car has been towed back to the garage. Having researched the engine, it is rubbish

If you buy an S40 get the Turbo!
By engrgrad on 08/03/10 19:43 PM (PDT)

2009 Volvo S40 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

This is my first Volvo after owning a V6 Honda Accord. I find the non-turbo very underpowered and an overall disappointment. Passing vehicles almost always requires the use of the auto-stick. Seats become uncomfortable after long drives and climate control is very difficult to regulate. I would recommend that you thoroughly investigate performance prior to purchasing

Awesome car
By V.N on 08/02/10 12:31 PM (PDT)

2009 Volvo S40 T5 R-Design 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Many people may think Volvo is all about their safety, although i was very impressed when i first bought my car and took it home from the dealership, my dad was also impressed being our 2nd Volvo we have bought, being 17 and first getting this car is excellent

Good Solid Car
By Chuck on 01/30/10 21:01 PM (PST)

2009 Volvo S40 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

This is our third Volvo. The other two were station wagons (over 15 years ago). Purchased this for my 17 year old daughter as her first car. I am impressed because it is sporty enough for her and it is still a solid little Volvo. I just wish I could drive it sometime.

Good Sturdy Car
By MITCHELL on 10/24/09 16:17 PM (PDT)

2009 Volvo S40 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

This the first Volvo I bought, I've wanted one since I was 19 yrs old,mainly because of the safety features and durability. I get about 27/29 MPG which was about the same as my Honda Accord, which was only a 4 cyl engine. The seats are very comfortable,and the standard equip is great. I wanted a sports car, but after driving the S40 it proved to have the tight suspension that I wanted,but the comfort I needed and it had back seat in case we needed it. My husband was a Ford man and after he drove my car home, he wanted one, so 5 days later we went back and bought another one. We are very pleased so far.

Good Car - Thought Not for the New Price
By EL on 08/10/09 09:57 AM (PDT)

2009 Volvo S40 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

My main beefs with the car is that the base engine is fairly weak for how heavy the car is. Throw that thing in a Honda Civic & it performs quite well. But you buy a Volvo for the solid build & safety ratings & it could afford a slightly more powerful base engine [~ 190hp?]... it shouldn't affect the fuel efficiency that much. The T5 isn't that much worse on the MPG's. Otherwise, I agree with most of the reviews & the main reason I bought this car is because I bought a loaner vehicle from a dealership for a third off the MSRP. And that's a 2009 with 10k miles. Volvos depreciate so much & that makes it worth it. That pretty much sold me. And my wife wanted it. Maybe that was the reason.

Good Volvo Starter Car
By Lee on 03/13/09 08:31 AM (PDT)

2009 Volvo S40 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

I bought this car after recommendations from friends. I previously owned a Passat. My Passat got 37 MPG (Diesel). My Volvo gets 24+/- (Gasoline). The S40 is very comfortable to sit in and I have a bad back. I'm not too thrilled about some of the plastic trim in the interior but overall I like the European attention to detail. There's not a lot of room in the back seat for adult kids but for little ones, it's ok. I like all of the gadgets that come with the purchase price and there's not a lot of options to add on. My Passat lasted 13 years and I fully expect the Volvo to do the same. The dealership is very responsive and attentive. A good car for the money.

Good, Safe Car
By Tom on 01/22/09 08:23 AM (PST)

2009 Volvo S40 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

This is the third Volvo I have had and it continues to be a fun, safe car to drive. My previous Volvo was totaled in a serious accident, and my child and myself walked away relatively unhurt. The safety features and peace of mind are why you buy a Volvo. The 2009 model is more expensive, but the standard equipment is wonderful. With the warranty being four years and the maintenance coming for 3 years, it is still a good value compared to lower priced competitors. Volvo for life!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Volvo S40 in VA is:

$137 per month*