Used 2008 Volvo S40 2.4i Sedan Consumer Reviews - 18 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S40 model:

S40
By Jim Wade

2008 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Fun to drive Plenty of pep. Handles like a dream.

Love my Volvo S40 b/c it is reliable and strong
By Courtney B.

2008 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I bought my 2008 S40 Volvo used in 2009. I love this car. It has a few quirks. First, the radio was super stylish in 2009, but now I wish it was easier to upgrade. Second, it goes through batteries. I haven't had the tire issues others complain of. The REALLY good news is that I've been in two accidents and just shook them off. Someone plowed into me and you can barely tell. It's got that Volvo strength. Second, I haven't had any mechanical issues. I get it looked at by the dealer once a year, but outside of tire and battery replacements, I haven't had to deal with anything beyond regular upkeep. I love this car and I want to keep it forever, assuming I can figure out a way to upgrade the radio. It's so reliable.

unexpected
By Martin

2008 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

The car is good looking and runs well out on the road. However, we've experienced problems with this car like no other new car we've ever owned. Had to replace rotors at approx. 18K miles. Not covered under warranty. Had to have car aligned at 22K and replace tires as result of bad alignment. Toed out and cupped tires which caused a terrible road roar. Battery went dead at 2 yrs. The only thing covered by the 4 yr warranty was the battery. Expensive car to own. Will never buy another Volvo. Rough ride in the back seat(s).

Car's appearance and style.

From what I've heard, alignment issues are common with the S40. Eats up tires and won't hold an alignment. Must be a design problem that needs to be resolved.

Great looking, reliable, average car
By Ted

2008 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Have been driving this car for over 2 years now. Love the overall look and build quality. Very different from other cars on the road. A few issues, fuel economy, loud interior, and surprisingly more than one blind spot due to the large columns (it's a safety thing...I get it) The drive is also not as European as I would have expected from a car competing with the likes of BMW, Audi and dare I say it, VW. It lacks that little oomph to get it at the same level as its German competitors. It doesn't get me excited, it gets me from A to B in style and safely.

Interior and exterior looks. Reliability. Solid build.

Steering responsiveness Fuel economy more of a German feel Rear space

2008 S40 easy choice after accident
By Jeff

2008 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Last year a huge chunk of steel fell off a truck and bounced into my lane while I was traveling about 60mph on an interstate. My 2006 S40 was totaled but I only had a sore back for a couple of weeks. Having been an auto appraiser for 6 years I consider myself an expert on assessing damage. I am sure I would have had a major injury in most other cars of any size. I was so impressed with the way the car took the accident that my first choice was a 2008 S40. I have had my 2008 about a year now and love it!

Comfortable seats and sporty looks. The controls are well designed and not overly complex to use.

Add an inch of length to the front seats.