2008 Volvo S40 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S40 model:
unexpected
By Martin on 10/28/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

The car is good looking and runs well out on the road. However, we've experienced problems with this car like no other new car we've ever owned. Had to replace rotors at approx. 18K miles. Not covered under warranty. Had to have car aligned at 22K and replace tires as result of bad alignment. Toed out and cupped tires which caused a terrible road roar. Battery went dead at 2 yrs. The only thing covered by the 4 yr warranty was the battery. Expensive car to own. Will never buy another Volvo. Rough ride in the back seat(s).

Great looking, reliable, average car
By Ted on 07/06/10 22:41 PM (PDT)

2008 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Have been driving this car for over 2 years now. Love the overall look and build quality. Very different from other cars on the road. A few issues, fuel economy, loud interior, and surprisingly more than one blind spot due to the large columns (it's a safety thing...I get it) The drive is also not as European as I would have expected from a car competing with the likes of BMW, Audi and dare I say it, VW. It lacks that little oomph to get it at the same level as its German competitors. It doesn't get me excited, it gets me from A to B in style and safely.

2008 S40 easy choice after accident
By Jeff on 02/01/10 22:04 PM (PST)

2008 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Last year a huge chunk of steel fell off a truck and bounced into my lane while I was traveling about 60mph on an interstate. My 2006 S40 was totaled but I only had a sore back for a couple of weeks. Having been an auto appraiser for 6 years I consider myself an expert on assessing damage. I am sure I would have had a major injury in most other cars of any size. I was so impressed with the way the car took the accident that my first choice was a 2008 S40. I have had my 2008 about a year now and love it!

Great Euro Design
By Chris from NJ on 10/13/09 18:23 PM (PDT)

2008 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I bought the S40 just as I was finishing college...it's a great car and I am very happy with it. I went from a Toyota 4Runner(which I LOVE...if I could have both I would) and do not feel like I have lost much space. It looks and drives great and accelerates beautifully. Being 6'1" I need to put my chair relatively far back, limiting the space behind my chair. Therefore, if someone is sitting behind me, there is very little space. That's my only issue.

Sturdy, reliable
By CDY on 08/24/09 11:35 AM (PDT)

2008 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Mileage is ok. Sporty ride. Not much space for the rear passengers. Small and sturdy. Noisy at low speeds. Got a dark grey car and black interior. great design even for cloth seats. Intuitive dials and controls. Nice programmable features like Autolock, rain sensing wipers, tail fog light, tow jack, homelink etc.

Jeep to Volvo... what Jeep?
By Chris G on 08/18/09 19:10 PM (PDT)

2008 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Haven't loved a car this much in many moons. Had a 2008 4 door Jeep Wrangler Sahara loaded. Fun in summer. Fun in winter. An uncomfortable disaster the rest of the year. Then... the Volvo S40. WOW. Fun ALL THE TIME! and looks and performs beautifully. What a deal too. Was an untitled demo. Sticker $27K. Bought it at $23K and they paid off my Jeep. Why didn't I choose Volvo sooner??? Safe. Stylish. Fast.

Volvo S40 - Highly recommended !!!
By Dan on 04/06/09 07:22 AM (PDT)

2008 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I purchased a left over 2008 S40 about a month ago, mainly for my wife's use. What a car! We absolutely love it. We've both always owned domestic vehicles, but this one beats all of them in just about every way I can think of. It has an overall great design, both inside and out. The comfort, feeling and handling of the car is superior than everything I have driven in the S40 price range. Also impressed with crash test ratings. Now that we have experienced the quality of Volvo, I think it will be awhile until we go back to domestic. My vehicle is a Navigator, seriously thinking about trading it for a Volvo. Didn't think I would ever have considered that a few months ago!!

Just Purchased
By ericp on 02/22/09 18:32 PM (PST)

2008 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I just purchased my S40 in Feb 09. I never thought of owning a Volvo but the dealer had this silver brand new 08, the sticker was $27,400. They let it go for $19,000 so how could I refuse. So far it is a very enjoyable car. Simple and very strong! I wish it had about 20 more HP, however it still is a wonderful car.

VW Lover Falls for Volvo
By atmf96 on 01/02/09 09:29 AM (PST)

2008 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I recently bought my first Volvo in Dec 08. This car is absolutely gorgeous, both inside and out. The exterior lines are very clean, and smooth. It gives the vehicle a sleek design, even sporty. It is easy to appreciate from all angles. And the interior is extremely comfortable. Leather seats are very soft and smooth, slightly fitted on the sides so you fit nice and snug. The layout of the console is simple yet robust. There isn't an abundance of knobs and dials to confuse you. In addition to great looks, the car drives great. It's very quiet at highway speeds, and the hi-performance audio sounds great. If you're looking for a sporty sedan, with clean looks inside and out, this is for you.

More Than Fair Value
By Happy Pittsburgher on 09/01/08 17:14 PM (PDT)

2008 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I narrowed onto this model as the best dollar value to replace one of our cars. While it does not have neck snaping acceleration, it is far from underpowered and it will snap your neck while cornering. Mileage on secondary roads is great, city is real good and highway if fantastic. Little negatives: no inside trunk relase or on the key fob and the doors do not automatically unlock when the key is removed.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Volvo S40 Sedan in WA is:

$149 per month*