Used 2008 Volvo S40 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Volvo S40 - Consumer Reviews

2008 Volvo S40 Sedan

View reviews for a specific S40 model:

Too many problems for the cost
By chicommuter

2008 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I purchased this car in 2011 with only 16,000 miles and had it back in the shop within 3 weeks to fix the driver side door which wouldn't latch. Subsequently have had it in the shop twice (wouldn't start due to programming issue and grinding noise while cornering). Now have to replace all tires @ 30k miles which the shop told me is common for this model.

Great car for the value
By topgeardreams

2008 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Recently picked up my 08 S40 T5 AWD. Compared to competition the value is great; higher rate of depreciation means this is a good used car to pick up (if you're planning on keeping it for a while). You would have to pay much more for similar Legacy GT or Audi A4. Handling is better than most sedans, but not as tight as an A4 in the steering or suspension. Good enough for spirited driving. While climbing mtn passes turbo seems to make more than ample power on my way to Tahoe. Acceleration isn't great either at low or midrange. (Tranny on auto keeps revs low, so using the tiptronic helps) On snow and ice the Haldex type awd system performs almost invisibly. Overall a very good buy. 24mpg avg

Favorite Features

Quiet at speed. Interior is gorgeous and seats are best I've ever owned. Storage space is sufficient. Trunk is a bit shallow but rear seats drop down. Sirius radio is great. Controls are logical well placed, and pretty. the lights are confusing; they're always on! Can't turn off daytime lights. Love the interior fabric. Haldex part time awd system doesn't seem to be an issue for an avg driver; if I were looking for a racer this wouldn't be it; the slip angles would reduce cornering efficiency. But, the auto engagement of awd suits most normal use needs. I read somewhere system will even go to full diff lockout as needed; pretty impressive.

Suggested Improvements

If I were to change anything it'd be wider tires or stiffer sway bars; car could corner a bit tighter. I have stock 16" rims so that could be the problem. Acceleration isn't great which is why the newer models have 6 spd auto's. A sport mode would help to keep the revs up closer to the peak powerband. More compartments to store stuff up front would be nice; but the 08's aren't bad. I heard pre-08's have very little storage options.

Great car for the value
By topgeardreams

2008 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

unexpected
By Martin

2008 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

The car is good looking and runs well out on the road. However, we've experienced problems with this car like no other new car we've ever owned. Had to replace rotors at approx. 18K miles. Not covered under warranty. Had to have car aligned at 22K and replace tires as result of bad alignment. Toed out and cupped tires which caused a terrible road roar. Battery went dead at 2 yrs. The only thing covered by the 4 yr warranty was the battery. Expensive car to own. Will never buy another Volvo. Rough ride in the back seat(s).

Favorite Features

Car's appearance and style.

Suggested Improvements

From what I've heard, alignment issues are common with the S40. Eats up tires and won't hold an alignment. Must be a design problem that needs to be resolved.

Great looking, reliable, average car
By Ted

2008 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Have been driving this car for over 2 years now. Love the overall look and build quality. Very different from other cars on the road. A few issues, fuel economy, loud interior, and surprisingly more than one blind spot due to the large columns (it's a safety thing...I get it) The drive is also not as European as I would have expected from a car competing with the likes of BMW, Audi and dare I say it, VW. It lacks that little oomph to get it at the same level as its German competitors. It doesn't get me excited, it gets me from A to B in style and safely.

Favorite Features

Interior and exterior looks. Reliability. Solid build.

Suggested Improvements

Steering responsiveness Fuel economy more of a German feel Rear space