2008 Volvo S40 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S40 model:
Too many problems for the cost
By chicommuter on 01/28/12 09:34 AM (PST)

2008 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I purchased this car in 2011 with only 16,000 miles and had it back in the shop within 3 weeks to fix the driver side door which wouldn't latch. Subsequently have had it in the shop twice (wouldn't start due to programming issue and grinding noise while cornering). Now have to replace all tires @ 30k miles which the shop told me is common for this model.

Great car for the value
By topgeardreams on 01/11/11 19:21 PM (PST)

2008 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Recently picked up my 08 S40 T5 AWD. Compared to competition the value is great; higher rate of depreciation means this is a good used car to pick up (if you're planning on keeping it for a while). You would have to pay much more for similar Legacy GT or Audi A4. Handling is better than most sedans, but not as tight as an A4 in the steering or suspension. Good enough for spirited driving. While climbing mtn passes turbo seems to make more than ample power on my way to Tahoe. Acceleration isn't great either at low or midrange. (Tranny on auto keeps revs low, so using the tiptronic helps) On snow and ice the Haldex type awd system performs almost invisibly. Overall a very good buy. 24mpg avg

Great car for the value
By topgeardreams on 01/11/11 19:20 PM (PST)

unexpected
By Martin on 10/28/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

The car is good looking and runs well out on the road. However, we've experienced problems with this car like no other new car we've ever owned. Had to replace rotors at approx. 18K miles. Not covered under warranty. Had to have car aligned at 22K and replace tires as result of bad alignment. Toed out and cupped tires which caused a terrible road roar. Battery went dead at 2 yrs. The only thing covered by the 4 yr warranty was the battery. Expensive car to own. Will never buy another Volvo. Rough ride in the back seat(s).

Great looking, reliable, average car
By Ted on 07/06/10 22:41 PM (PDT)

2008 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Have been driving this car for over 2 years now. Love the overall look and build quality. Very different from other cars on the road. A few issues, fuel economy, loud interior, and surprisingly more than one blind spot due to the large columns (it's a safety thing...I get it) The drive is also not as European as I would have expected from a car competing with the likes of BMW, Audi and dare I say it, VW. It lacks that little oomph to get it at the same level as its German competitors. It doesn't get me excited, it gets me from A to B in style and safely.

Nice But Expensive
By Pat on 07/06/10 17:18 PM (PDT)

2008 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This car has been really good up till lately. I purchased this vehicle brand new with only 2 miles on it; now I am at 45,380 miles. Within the last month... Navigation quit working - dealer had to order a whole new head unit for it... Strange & Annoying rattle in the passenger side door - ended up being loose rivets that hold the window in the door. They also did some software update as well. This was all covered under warranty. This car never seems to hold an alignment. Just home today from having the 3rd alignment since I got this car new. This is the first vehicle I have ever had to do a alignment on. Hopefully the third time is a charm.

small but cool
By URSUS on 06/21/10 09:54 AM (PDT)

2008 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought the S40 couple months ago and i like it ..European car always the best ..

2008 S40 easy choice after accident
By Jeff on 02/01/10 22:04 PM (PST)

2008 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Last year a huge chunk of steel fell off a truck and bounced into my lane while I was traveling about 60mph on an interstate. My 2006 S40 was totaled but I only had a sore back for a couple of weeks. Having been an auto appraiser for 6 years I consider myself an expert on assessing damage. I am sure I would have had a major injury in most other cars of any size. I was so impressed with the way the car took the accident that my first choice was a 2008 S40. I have had my 2008 about a year now and love it!

Great Euro Design
By Chris from NJ on 10/13/09 18:23 PM (PDT)

2008 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I bought the S40 just as I was finishing college...it's a great car and I am very happy with it. I went from a Toyota 4Runner(which I LOVE...if I could have both I would) and do not feel like I have lost much space. It looks and drives great and accelerates beautifully. Being 6'1" I need to put my chair relatively far back, limiting the space behind my chair. Therefore, if someone is sitting behind me, there is very little space. That's my only issue.

Sturdy, reliable
By CDY on 08/24/09 11:35 AM (PDT)

2008 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Mileage is ok. Sporty ride. Not much space for the rear passengers. Small and sturdy. Noisy at low speeds. Got a dark grey car and black interior. great design even for cloth seats. Intuitive dials and controls. Nice programmable features like Autolock, rain sensing wipers, tail fog light, tow jack, homelink etc.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.