2007 Volvo S40 Consumer Review: Volvo wins me over

2007 Volvo S40 - Consumer Review

Volvo wins me over
By PianoMan on

2007 Volvo S40 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I love this car! I picked it up at the factory in Sweden (a fantastic deal that I would recommend to all), and drove it through Denmark, Germany, the Czech Republic, and Austria. It is stable as a rock at any speed (my son pushed it up to 110 on the autobahn), handles responsively, accelerates acceptably, and has good fuel economy. My onboard computer says I am getting 28.2 mpg overall, which I think is quite good. I consider it to be a BMW 328 for 10K less. (Yes, the BMW is superior in handling and acceleration.) The factory pickup experience was so fun that I may never buy a car any other way.

Premium sound system is wonderful. Listening to the end of the Mahler 2nd symphony is almost a spiritual experience. T-tech seats suit me fine. The interior is quite tasteful and ergonomically well thought out.

I wouldn't object to a little more low-end torque from the base 168hp engine, but I can get out of the way of the semis when I need to.