2007 Volvo S40 Consumer Review: Pleasant, but disappointing

2007 Volvo S40 Sedan - Consumer Review

Pleasant, but disappointing
By John B. on

2007 Volvo S40 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

The S40 2.4i gets high marks for styling, fit and finish - very nice. The 168 horsepower 2.4 liter normally aspirated 5-cyl has plenty of pep. Fuel economy is on the low side - I averaged 23 MPG in mixed city/freeway driving. The standard suspension is tight and supple; goes right where you point it. The big disappointment is the electrical system. In the 1 1/2 yrs I owned the car I had three occasions where the car didn't recognize coded electronic key, and a series of erroneous indications of hood unlatched, lights burned out, etc. After awhile cons outweighed pros, and I lost confidence. Last week I sold it, bought a BMW 328i (who can argue?).

Styling, fit and finish - very handsome little car. T-tec upholstery and "floating" console are way cool. Stereo in premium package is excellent. Standard suspension is very good - tight steering; very good brakes.

Electrical glitches in my car were a pain. Fuel economy is on the low side for an engine in this class.