Used 2007 Volvo S40 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S40 model:

Pleasant, but disappointing
By John B.

2007 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

The S40 2.4i gets high marks for styling, fit and finish - very nice. The 168 horsepower 2.4 liter normally aspirated 5-cyl has plenty of pep. Fuel economy is on the low side - I averaged 23 MPG in mixed city/freeway driving. The standard suspension is tight and supple; goes right where you point it. The big disappointment is the electrical system. In the 1 1/2 yrs I owned the car I had three occasions where the car didn't recognize coded electronic key, and a series of erroneous indications of hood unlatched, lights burned out, etc. After awhile cons outweighed pros, and I lost confidence. Last week I sold it, bought a BMW 328i (who can argue?).

Styling, fit and finish - very handsome little car. T-tec upholstery and "floating" console are way cool. Stereo in premium package is excellent. Standard suspension is very good - tight steering; very good brakes.

Electrical glitches in my car were a pain. Fuel economy is on the low side for an engine in this class.

Great MPG
By Daniel

2007 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

My wife and I have 11,000 miles on ours and we love it. The people who complain about the gas mileage are the same people you see gunning off the line, only having to slam on the brakes in 100 yards. We are averaging about 27 MPG city, and 34 MPG highway, with A/C. This should be an option for everyone who is looking at a 3 series BMW. No, the fit and finish isn't as nice, and the engine isn't as peppy, but it is an amazing car with a less expensive starting piont.

Look, on board computer, T-Tec seats.

Enlarge and refine the center console and shifter. It looks great, but you can really "feel" a cheap element, and the center console needs more storage space!

Awesome Little Car!
By 4 Time Volvoer

2007 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

We have owned 3 volvos in the past year, 2 s40's and 1 xc90, all purchased new. The s40 is an amazing vehicle, it is comfortable, safe and has to be the nicest looking compact sedan on the market. Only complaint is the power, mine was a 5 speed manual, and I had plenty of power, however my wife still has her automatic and something gets lost with the same engine mated to the auto, even with the 'manual' mode. I really have no idea what Volvo is thinking in phasing out the manuals from their V50 and S40 lines, what a stupid move. Other than that, we have high regard for all of our Volvos. Don't believe the new EPA ratings, this car gets 26mpg city and 34 hwy. be safe, buy a Volvo!

Premium sound, wood dash, power seats, moon roof, aux stereo input, steering wheel controls, great mpg! Safe, comfy seats, heavy build quality (this thing weighs the same as much larger vehicles). Projector headlights, auto wipers, trip computer.

Make a diesel engine! We all need to tell our dealers to demand diesels, the companies don't think Americans will drive them. I say 300 ft. Lbs. Of torque and 60 mpg, we'll buy them! Imagine this car with a diesel, look out VW and Benz!

Do not buy this car.
By rukewlguy

2007 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I have purchased a Volvo s40 sedan White. I am a casual commuter who does not abuse my car at all. I do full recommended service from Volvo, which costs around $200 - $500 per recommended service. Within 1 year, my car had following problem: 1. Sudden electrical malfunction 2. Sudden deterioration of ride 3. Engine started to make noises and rpm was going up and down by itself 4. Finally, car did not start when it was 11 month old and had about 15,000k on it. These guys never respond to your complaints. So upset with this car and company. Do not buy this car!

Although I hate the performance of this vehicle, this car looks sexy.

Horrible service. Reliability of this vehicle is even worse.

A Volvo? Really? So pleased!
By Parker

2007 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

So, I consider myself a young guy about to turn 30 with a wife and child on the way and it was time to purchase a new car. I have owned many vehicles, most recently a 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse which treated me very well. Now I want a vehicle that is sporty, something I can grow with but also a sedan to appease my wife who insists that my car should have 4 doors. I took the Mitsubishi Galant for a spin, the Pontiac G6 and we already own a Ford Fusion and yet I didn't feel that any fit the bill. I pop into a Volvo dealership, look at a Black S40 and think to myself this is a nice looking car. The car handles great with quality material inside. I feel I am driving a premium vehicle! I AM!

The interior panel is sharp! I have the sports and climate package and recommend both! The T-tec seats are simply awesome. Am I really driving a sedan? The feeling of having made a great decision!

I could have used an aux jack and getting bulky objects into the trunk may prove difficult. I really like Sirius and it was not standard.