Used 2007 Volvo S40 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 42 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Volvo S40 Sedan

View reviews for a specific S40 model:

Nice Car, Terrible Manufacture service
By volvo2007red

2007 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I enjoy my 2007 S40 and purchased it due to extended warranty. I have had the same repetitive problems with "bad batteries" twice in
3 years. Volvo has done nothing to identify the problem other than make me pay for new batteries. Since the original was under manufactures warranty the replacement's warranty was null and void, therefore the bills on me. Manufacture did nothing to further look into problem, or recognize the product default. I am sure I will be reposting again in another year with the same issue! Buy with caution!

Perfect so far
By alice_s40

2007 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

This was not the car I was shopping for when I bought it, I was looking at a BMW 330ihad they not sold it I would be driving that and complaining about the oil changes. However I currently have 45k on mine, it's a stick and its a blast to drive. Mine is red so it attracts the looks and questions.
Great gas mileage about 28-32 respectively, it's been driven on some back country roads where traction was an issue and handled it great, snow no problem. All I have done is the oil changes, synthetic blend when The light tells me too..great car, fun to drive, has a little road noise but I replaced the tires and so far so good.

Now having said all these good things nothing btw go wrong.

Stereo, seats, seats material, comfortable back seat, huge trunk, great gas mileage, fast for a 2.4l

The material used to cover the stereo knobs and console is starting to peel away, doesn't exactly scream quality to me. And more storage space and for Petes sake and iPod dock.

CPO - Very Reliable
By JG

2007 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I purchased this car with approx. 20000 mi CPO from my local dealer. I have changed the oil every 5000 mi, not factory recommended 7500. I now have 82000+ miles on the car. I've only had to take it in twice for repairs. Once for something very minor and the second time for the A/C going out intermittently on very hot days in South GA. Thank goodness it was CPO! They replaced the compressor (with new clutch assembly) and it is good as new. (Would have cost a mint had it not been covered under the extended warranty - $1200+) Overall, good entry vehicle into the premium compact sedan market. The 2.4i could use 20-30 more HP, but the MPG is great. Average 27 mixed. 31+ Highway.

Premium Sound System is a must. Aux Jack. Heated Seats. Leather. Sunroof. All good options. Good Steering feel and feedback with a nice, sporty suspension.

Add 30+ extra HP on base engine. Volvo's design has changed lately with the introduction of the XC60 and new S60. This car is starting to look its age with the older headlights and body shape. Look for a redesign in the coming months.

LoyalVolvoOwnerFL
By LoyalVolvoOwner

2007 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

This is my third Volvo. Same color and same engine. So far everything is great. The transmission adapts to the driver (like a fitted baseball glove) I was concerned about what to do after the warranty expires. I can't think of another car that i could get in and feel as excited as i do for the price that i paid, no matter where my destination may be...work, gym, roadtrip, or out to dinner. I don't think this car will ever look outdated. Auto body shop personnel have said great things. Extended VIP warranty is available but only before the orginal warranty expires.

The upgraded stereo with mp3 auxiliary input is outstanding. The upgraded electronic computer display which indicates instantaneous mpg. exterior and interior styling, comfortable seats

the upgraded stereo should not be part of a 3K dollar package. If you are trying to hit the younger market, it should be standard in my opinion.

Stranded on I-85 when engine blew a rod!
By Roger

2007 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I have about 69,050 miles on a 2007 Vovlo s-40. I have changed the oil every 30000-4000 miles, and had service checkups on regular bases. I was stranded last night on I-85 when my car threW a rod, forming two holes in the engine block. The mechanic that took my car in was blown away and said he had never seen anything like this. Nice clean oil rain out of the car and the small pieces that fell out of the motor were nice and shiny because there was no "gunk" in the motor due to the good service history. Please someone tell me if this is not a sorry car. I will never own a Volvo again, and please if you are thinking about buying a Volvo-DO NOT BUY A VOLVO, YOU WILL BE SORRY. U WILL BE STRANDED

NOTHING! IT LEFT ME STRANDED WITH A TROWN ROD AT 69,050 MILES. REGULAR SERVICE WAS UP TO DATE, AND OIL CHANGED. NOTHING IS GOOD ABOUT VOLVO.

MAKE A BETTER CAR THAT WILL NOT LEAVE YOU STRANDED AND A LARGE SERVICE BILL TO REPLACE THE SORRY ENGINE YOU PUT INSIDE MY 2007 S-40.