Used 2007 Volvo S40 2.4i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S40 model:

CPO - Very Reliable
By JG

2007 Volvo S40 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I purchased this car with approx. 20000 mi CPO from my local dealer. I have changed the oil every 5000 mi, not factory recommended 7500. I now have 82000+ miles on the car. I've only had to take it in twice for repairs. Once for something very minor and the second time for the A/C going out intermittently on very hot days in South GA. Thank goodness it was CPO! They replaced the compressor (with new clutch assembly) and it is good as new. (Would have cost a mint had it not been covered under the extended warranty - $1200+) Overall, good entry vehicle into the premium compact sedan market. The 2.4i could use 20-30 more HP, but the MPG is great. Average 27 mixed. 31+ Highway.

Favorite Features

Premium Sound System is a must. Aux Jack. Heated Seats. Leather. Sunroof. All good options. Good Steering feel and feedback with a nice, sporty suspension.

Suggested Improvements

Add 30+ extra HP on base engine. Volvo's design has changed lately with the introduction of the XC60 and new S60. This car is starting to look its age with the older headlights and body shape. Look for a redesign in the coming months.

LoyalVolvoOwnerFL
By LoyalVolvoOwner

2007 Volvo S40 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

This is my third Volvo. Same color and same engine. So far everything is great. The transmission adapts to the driver (like a fitted baseball glove) I was concerned about what to do after the warranty expires. I can't think of another car that i could get in and feel as excited as i do for the price that i paid, no matter where my destination may be...work, gym, roadtrip, or out to dinner. I don't think this car will ever look outdated. Auto body shop personnel have said great things. Extended VIP warranty is available but only before the orginal warranty expires.

Favorite Features

The upgraded stereo with mp3 auxiliary input is outstanding. The upgraded electronic computer display which indicates instantaneous mpg. exterior and interior styling, comfortable seats

Suggested Improvements

the upgraded stereo should not be part of a 3K dollar package. If you are trying to hit the younger market, it should be standard in my opinion.

Stranded on I-85 when engine blew a rod!
By Roger

2007 Volvo S40 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I have about 69,050 miles on a 2007 Vovlo s-40. I have changed the oil every 30000-4000 miles, and had service checkups on regular bases. I was stranded last night on I-85 when my car threW a rod, forming two holes in the engine block. The mechanic that took my car in was blown away and said he had never seen anything like this. Nice clean oil rain out of the car and the small pieces that fell out of the motor were nice and shiny because there was no "gunk" in the motor due to the good service history. Please someone tell me if this is not a sorry car. I will never own a Volvo again, and please if you are thinking about buying a Volvo-DO NOT BUY A VOLVO, YOU WILL BE SORRY. U WILL BE STRANDED

Favorite Features

NOTHING! IT LEFT ME STRANDED WITH A TROWN ROD AT 69,050 MILES. REGULAR SERVICE WAS UP TO DATE, AND OIL CHANGED. NOTHING IS GOOD ABOUT VOLVO.

Suggested Improvements

MAKE A BETTER CAR THAT WILL NOT LEAVE YOU STRANDED AND A LARGE SERVICE BILL TO REPLACE THE SORRY ENGINE YOU PUT INSIDE MY 2007 S-40.

Great car
By ndotym

2007 Volvo S40 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I bought this car off the Culver City Volvo web. I saw this car and had to have it, no regrets, 55,000 just replace the rear brakes, no problems, fun to drive, handles great very comfortable, great sound system. I get lots of looks some say its a females car, I don't care. It handles great, safe in the wet weather. Volvo makes a great product.

Favorite Features

6 disc cd, moon roof, seats, great freeway car. the standard safety features.

Suggested Improvements

none

Great Commuter
By DJF

2007 Volvo S40 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I have over 100,000 miles on this car in about 3 years. Fun to drive, comfortable and I feel safe in it. No real problems with the car, even ran it down 3 1/2 quarts low on oil with no developing problems. Switched to synthetic oil about 50,000 miles

Favorite Features

Seats, interior, sound system and exterior styling.

Suggested Improvements

None. Styling does limit trunk space.