2007 Volvo S40 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S40 model:
I just loooove this car!
By Nicolle on 04/30/09 19:53 PM (PDT)

2007 Volvo S40 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I just got this car and i totaly love it...it does handels great and it is soo nice having a luxury entry sedan.

sleek awesome car
By njs40 on 01/30/09 12:22 PM (PST)

2007 Volvo S40 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

i have not had this car very long, but i have always loved this body style, and when i saw it online i had to have it. it drives like a sports car, and gets decent mpgs.

Pleasant, but disappointing
By John B. on 11/06/08 14:47 PM (PST)

2007 Volvo S40 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

The S40 2.4i gets high marks for styling, fit and finish - very nice. The 168 horsepower 2.4 liter normally aspirated 5-cyl has plenty of pep. Fuel economy is on the low side - I averaged 23 MPG in mixed city/freeway driving. The standard suspension is tight and supple; goes right where you point it. The big disappointment is the electrical system. In the 1 1/2 yrs I owned the car I had three occasions where the car didn't recognize coded electronic key, and a series of erroneous indications of hood unlatched, lights burned out, etc. After awhile cons outweighed pros, and I lost confidence. Last week I sold it, bought a BMW 328i (who can argue?).

Great MPG
By Daniel on 07/01/08 12:59 PM (PDT)

2007 Volvo S40 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

My wife and I have 11,000 miles on ours and we love it. The people who complain about the gas mileage are the same people you see gunning off the line, only having to slam on the brakes in 100 yards. We are averaging about 27 MPG city, and 34 MPG highway, with A/C. This should be an option for everyone who is looking at a 3 series BMW. No, the fit and finish isn't as nice, and the engine isn't as peppy, but it is an amazing car with a less expensive starting piont.

Awesome Little Car!
By 4 Time Volvoer on 06/11/08 13:47 PM (PDT)

2007 Volvo S40 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

We have owned 3 volvos in the past year, 2 s40's and 1 xc90, all purchased new. The s40 is an amazing vehicle, it is comfortable, safe and has to be the nicest looking compact sedan on the market. Only complaint is the power, mine was a 5 speed manual, and I had plenty of power, however my wife still has her automatic and something gets lost with the same engine mated to the auto, even with the 'manual' mode. I really have no idea what Volvo is thinking in phasing out the manuals from their V50 and S40 lines, what a stupid move. Other than that, we have high regard for all of our Volvos. Don't believe the new EPA ratings, this car gets 26mpg city and 34 hwy. be safe, buy a Volvo!

Do not buy this car.
By rukewlguy on 04/14/08 11:58 AM (PDT)

2007 Volvo S40 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I have purchased a Volvo s40 sedan White. I am a casual commuter who does not abuse my car at all. I do full recommended service from Volvo, which costs around $200 - $500 per recommended service. Within 1 year, my car had following problem: 1. Sudden electrical malfunction 2. Sudden deterioration of ride 3. Engine started to make noises and rpm was going up and down by itself 4. Finally, car did not start when it was 11 month old and had about 15,000k on it. These guys never respond to your complaints. So upset with this car and company. Do not buy this car!

A Volvo? Really? So pleased!
By Parker on 01/31/08 21:45 PM (PST)

2007 Volvo S40 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

So, I consider myself a young guy about to turn 30 with a wife and child on the way and it was time to purchase a new car. I have owned many vehicles, most recently a 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse which treated me very well. Now I want a vehicle that is sporty, something I can grow with but also a sedan to appease my wife who insists that my car should have 4 doors. I took the Mitsubishi Galant for a spin, the Pontiac G6 and we already own a Ford Fusion and yet I didn't feel that any fit the bill. I pop into a Volvo dealership, look at a Black S40 and think to myself this is a nice looking car. The car handles great with quality material inside. I feel I am driving a premium vehicle! I AM!

Awesome car
By redskins5926 on 10/22/07 19:48 PM (PDT)

2007 Volvo S40 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

The Volvo S40 has been a great car for me. I got the base model with only the automatic transmission, but it still comes with a lot of features like keyless entry, CD player, etc. When I first got the car, the fuel economy seemed pretty lousy, but 5 months and 5000 miles later it seems to have improved tremendously. I have taken 87 octane since day one and the car performs quite well with it. The pickup is terrific for the 2.4L engine, although once or twice I have had to floor the pedal in order to make a quick pickup on a freeway merge. The handling of the car is quite good as well, although during sharp turns the car feels slightly wobbly... definitely not firm as a BMW 3-series.

Volvo wins me over
By PianoMan on 10/15/07 01:10 AM (PDT)

2007 Volvo S40 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I love this car! I picked it up at the factory in Sweden (a fantastic deal that I would recommend to all), and drove it through Denmark, Germany, the Czech Republic, and Austria. It is stable as a rock at any speed (my son pushed it up to 110 on the autobahn), handles responsively, accelerates acceptably, and has good fuel economy. My onboard computer says I am getting 28.2 mpg overall, which I think is quite good. I consider it to be a BMW 328 for 10K less. (Yes, the BMW is superior in handling and acceleration.) The factory pickup experience was so fun that I may never buy a car any other way.

Great commuter
By ndotym on 10/08/07 16:34 PM (PDT)

2007 Volvo S40 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I have 14000, love this car great gas mileage, comfortable, great radio, just a couple of problems, all interior, sun roof shade broken track, mirror loose all being fix under warranty. Otherwise no problems.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.