Used 2007 Volvo S40 2.4i Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S40 model:

45K Mile Disappointment
By jamiefg

2007 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I purchased a 2007 Volvo S40 for safety and design. I've been very happy since! I just picked up my car 2 weeks after a 45K mile checkup at Volvo and was devastated to learn that I had nearly $3,000 of repairs needed. I take great care of my car and was not expecting anything other than the basic oil change and repairs at such low mileage. I am extremely disappointed at this point, and afraid of the thousands of dollars I may need to sink into my car in time. Beyond, the Volvo service team was charging me twice as much as my family mechanic - and quickly met his pricing once I brought it up. I loved my car, but I also want a company I can rely on and trust for 100K miles!

4.5 years later 2.4 liter with Automatic
By volvo2007dgo

2007 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

My S40 will be five years old in June. I have 32500 miles on it. It is only used for personal use. This was an excellent purchase. I would buy this car all over again. I use 93 octane gas and the performance is much better. I think i get better gas mileage using 93 than 87. The seats are so comfortable. Everyone that gets in my car loves the comfy seats and the waterfall dashboard effect where you can store something. There is plenty of power in the 2.4 engine without the turbo as long as you use 93 octane. The engine also loves the fully synthetic oil. The car has been reliable and i found a great volvo specialist to service it. I love the brakes and transmission.

The upgraded 10 speaker stereo with 6 cd changer and ipod auxillary. The seats, the style outside and in, the tight steering, the brakes work great, the transmission shifts nicely with 93 octane, It's a clean classy car and everyone that gets in always compliments it. Some of my friends who drive more expensive cars are very pleased with it and have asked to drive it. The michellin tires on this car are fantastic. I bought replacement Michellin Primacy MXV4 at BJ's Wholesale for 675.

No suggested improvements I can think of. I would buy this car again. It is a little pricey at 28,000 dollars but if i still like it almost five years later I think it is still a good investment. The value seems to hold too. I priced mine out today and it was around 16,000 retail.

Wait Until It Gets Older..
By gadawg89742

2007 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I have been very disappointed with this car. I've had my S40 for 4 years now. Wait a few years and your AC compressor WILL go out. My friend and I got our S40s, brand new, within a week of each other and both of our AC compressors went out in the same month 4 years later. The quality over time is just not there with Volvo anymore. So I hope all you people who just got your S40's are ready to shell out a few thousand dollars in the next year. I'll be getting a Toyota...

Improve the quality!

A keeper
By ndotym

2007 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I purchased this car from internet sales new, people say the 2.4I is a low in non perfoming car they don't drive this vehicle on the highway, the turbo would of been nice but I plan to keep this one, its a blast with power to spare in manual mode. I get looks all the time, just turn 65,000 and my servicing dealer tells me its a keeper, and I will drive it to the wheels fall off. I have the select package black and dark gray interior tetech, no problems just normal servicing, two sets of tires. Volvo did its job with this one. I believe the 2.4 motor should stay in the Volvo line up. great motor.

6 disc stereo, floating center console.

full size spare, I added my own.

Perfect so far
By alice_s40

2007 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

This was not the car I was shopping for when I bought it, I was looking at a BMW 330ihad they not sold it I would be driving that and complaining about the oil changes. However I currently have 45k on mine, it's a stick and its a blast to drive. Mine is red so it attracts the looks and questions. Great gas mileage about 28-32 respectively, it's been driven on some back country roads where traction was an issue and handled it great, snow no problem. All I have done is the oil changes, synthetic blend when The light tells me too..great car, fun to drive, has a little road noise but I replaced the tires and so far so good. Now having said all these good things nothing btw go wrong.

Stereo, seats, seats material, comfortable back seat, huge trunk, great gas mileage, fast for a 2.4l

The material used to cover the stereo knobs and console is starting to peel away, doesn't exactly scream quality to me. And more storage space and for Petes sake and iPod dock.