Used 2007 Volvo S40 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S40 model:

45K Mile Disappointment
By jamiefg

2007 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I purchased a 2007 Volvo S40 for safety and design. I've been very happy since! I just picked up my car 2 weeks after a 45K mile checkup at Volvo and was devastated to learn that I had nearly $3,000 of repairs needed. I take great care of my car and was not expecting anything other than the basic oil change and repairs at such low mileage. I am extremely disappointed at this point, and afraid of the thousands of dollars I may need to sink into my car in time. Beyond, the Volvo service team was charging me twice as much as my family mechanic - and quickly met his pricing once I brought it up. I loved my car, but I also want a company I can rely on and trust for 100K miles!

MOST RELIABLE VEHICLE I HAVE EVER OWNED
By volvo84

2007 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I purchased my 2007 Volvo s40 in late 2007. The vehicle had less than 5,000 miles and was in perfect condition. I have always been an import buyer yet never owning a Volvo I was a little skeptical. The i5 provides the car with more than adequate power. The acceleration was great and I never had any problem overtaking other vehicles. As the title of the review says, the s40 was literally the most reliable car I have owned. For the 3 years I owned the s40 and putting upwards of 130,000 miles on the odometer, I forgot what it was like to have my car reparied. No problems with anything other than a right front wheel bearing.

Great Value
By m4336

2007 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

We purchased the car used with 20,000 miles on it. We have only done the prescribed services to the unit. It has not required a single repair in the last 4 years and 40,000. We put custom wheels on the unit a couple of years ago, and get regular compliments from strangers on how sharp the car looks.

Favorite Features

Handling and reliability are incredible.

Suggested Improvements

Wish it had a fully functional IPod interface. It does connect with the IPod, but doesn't recharge it.

4.5 years later 2.4 liter with Automatic
By volvo2007dgo

2007 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

My S40 will be five years old in June. I have 32500 miles on it. It is only used for personal use. This was an excellent purchase. I would buy this car all over again. I use 93 octane gas and the performance is much better. I think i get better gas mileage using 93 than 87. The seats are so comfortable. Everyone that gets in my car loves the comfy seats and the waterfall dashboard effect where you can store something. There is plenty of power in the 2.4 engine without the turbo as long as you use 93 octane. The engine also loves the fully synthetic oil. The car has been reliable and i found a great volvo specialist to service it. I love the brakes and transmission.

Favorite Features

The upgraded 10 speaker stereo with 6 cd changer and ipod auxillary. The seats, the style outside and in, the tight steering, the brakes work great, the transmission shifts nicely with 93 octane, It's a clean classy car and everyone that gets in always compliments it. Some of my friends who drive more expensive cars are very pleased with it and have asked to drive it. The michellin tires on this car are fantastic. I bought replacement Michellin Primacy MXV4 at BJ's Wholesale for 675.

Suggested Improvements

No suggested improvements I can think of. I would buy this car again. It is a little pricey at 28,000 dollars but if i still like it almost five years later I think it is still a good investment. The value seems to hold too. I priced mine out today and it was around 16,000 retail.

Wait Until It Gets Older..
By gadawg89742

2007 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I have been very disappointed with this car. I've had my S40 for 4 years now. Wait a few years and your AC compressor WILL go out. My friend and I got our S40s, brand new, within a week of each other and both of our AC compressors went out in the same month 4 years later. The quality over time is just not there with Volvo anymore. So I hope all you people who just got your S40's are ready to shell out a few thousand dollars in the next year. I'll be getting a Toyota...

Suggested Improvements

Improve the quality!