Used 2007 Volvo S40 2.4i Consumer Reviews - 34 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S40 model:

Great lil car
By Floyd

2007 Volvo S40 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

This is a great car, does almost every thing well, maintence is normal if maintained, repairs can be pricey, I purchase mine new 15 miles, the brakes great replaced rear brakes and rotors at 50,000 pads frontat 45,000. I did the 113,000 service dealer stated in great condition. I've replaced upholstery on the front driver seat, a couple bulbs, if you can live with the 2.4 motor on the street, on the highway it's a fun car and will keep up with almost anything.

Great Car, Expensive to Maintain
By Ben

2007 Volvo S40 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I purchased this car with 53,000 miles on it and absolutely loved it. I have done everything with this car from fun corners and "quick" driving to driving through blizzards. This car unfortunately was only held back by the exorbitant maintenance costs and its relatively small size. I am 6' 8" and purchased the car because I was sick of driving big cars but have recently dealt with back pain from the seating position, all my friends find it incredibly comfortable but I am simply to tall for it. The maintenance is an unfortunate story. After having purchased the car in brand new condition (53,000 miles) I have put about 20,000 miles on it in the last year and spent close to $8,000 in repairs. The most painful of which was the dual mass flywheel and clutch which cost $3200 alone to replace from the dealer. The clutch paired with new suspension, new brakes, new front struts, new tires, and a steering wheel lock incident have created the most expensive (car maintenance) year off my life. So alas I must let the poor thing go, but I have to say if you get lucky, or don't mind spending the money on maintenance, the car is excellent fun and will get you through anything, from driving through 6inch deep snow without chains or studs, to the pounding rain of Oregon winters. The car is simply excellent fun.

Riding on Air
By T. Levi

2007 Volvo S40 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I have had my '07 Volvo S40 since '08 and every time I drive it it feels like the first time. It does not show it's age many people can't believe it is as old as it is. I have truly enjoyed this car but am looking forward to moving up a class to the Volvo S60! I feel so safe in this car. Would recommend a Volvo to anyone! T. L. in Virginia.

45K Mile Disappointment
By jamiefg

2007 Volvo S40 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I purchased a 2007 Volvo S40 for safety and design. I've been very happy since! I just picked up my car 2 weeks after a 45K mile checkup at Volvo and was devastated to learn that I had nearly $3,000 of repairs needed. I take great care of my car and was not expecting anything other than the basic oil change and repairs at such low mileage. I am extremely disappointed at this point, and afraid of the thousands of dollars I may need to sink into my car in time. Beyond, the Volvo service team was charging me twice as much as my family mechanic - and quickly met his pricing once I brought it up. I loved my car, but I also want a company I can rely on and trust for 100K miles!

4.5 years later 2.4 liter with Automatic
By volvo2007dgo

2007 Volvo S40 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

My S40 will be five years old in June. I have 32500 miles on it. It is only used for personal use. This was an excellent purchase. I would buy this car all over again. I use 93 octane gas and the performance is much better. I think i get better gas mileage using 93 than 87. The seats are so comfortable. Everyone that gets in my car loves the comfy seats and the waterfall dashboard effect where you can store something. There is plenty of power in the 2.4 engine without the turbo as long as you use 93 octane. The engine also loves the fully synthetic oil. The car has been reliable and i found a great volvo specialist to service it. I love the brakes and transmission.

The upgraded 10 speaker stereo with 6 cd changer and ipod auxillary. The seats, the style outside and in, the tight steering, the brakes work great, the transmission shifts nicely with 93 octane, It's a clean classy car and everyone that gets in always compliments it. Some of my friends who drive more expensive cars are very pleased with it and have asked to drive it. The michellin tires on this car are fantastic. I bought replacement Michellin Primacy MXV4 at BJ's Wholesale for 675.

No suggested improvements I can think of. I would buy this car again. It is a little pricey at 28,000 dollars but if i still like it almost five years later I think it is still a good investment. The value seems to hold too. I priced mine out today and it was around 16,000 retail.