2007 Volvo S40 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S40 model:
45K Mile Disappointment
By jamiefg on 07/24/13 15:59 PM (PDT)

2007 Volvo S40 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I purchased a 2007 Volvo S40 for safety and design. I've been very happy since! I just picked up my car 2 weeks after a 45K mile checkup at Volvo and was devastated to learn that I had nearly $3,000 of repairs needed. I take great care of my car and was not expecting anything other than the basic oil change and repairs at such low mileage. I am extremely disappointed at this point, and afraid of the thousands of dollars I may need to sink into my car in time. Beyond, the Volvo service team was charging me twice as much as my family mechanic - and quickly met his pricing once I brought it up. I loved my car, but I also want a company I can rely on and trust for 100K miles!

MOST RELIABLE VEHICLE I HAVE EVER OWNED
By volvo84 on 12/08/12 09:32 AM (PST)

2007 Volvo S40 T5 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I purchased my 2007 Volvo s40 in late 2007. The vehicle had less than 5,000 miles and was in perfect condition. I have always been an import buyer yet never owning a Volvo I was a little skeptical. The i5 provides the car with more than adequate power. The acceleration was great and I never had any problem overtaking other vehicles. As the title of the review says, the s40 was literally the most reliable car I have owned. For the 3 years I owned the s40 and putting upwards of 130,000 miles on the odometer, I forgot what it was like to have my car reparied. No problems with anything other than a right front wheel bearing.

Great Value
By m4336 on 08/11/12 09:08 AM (PDT)

2007 Volvo S40 T5 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

We purchased the car used with 20,000 miles on it. We have only done the prescribed services to the unit. It has not required a single repair in the last 4 years and 40,000. We put custom wheels on the unit a couple of years ago, and get regular compliments from strangers on how sharp the car looks.

4.5 years later 2.4 liter with Automatic
By volvo2007dgo on 12/25/11 06:04 AM (PST)

2007 Volvo S40 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

My S40 will be five years old in June. I have 32500 miles on it. It is only used for personal use. This was an excellent purchase. I would buy this car all over again. I use 93 octane gas and the performance is much better. I think i get better gas mileage using 93 than 87. The seats are so comfortable. Everyone that gets in my car loves the comfy seats and the waterfall dashboard effect where you can store something. There is plenty of power in the 2.4 engine without the turbo as long as you use 93 octane. The engine also loves the fully synthetic oil. The car has been reliable and i found a great volvo specialist to service it. I love the brakes and transmission.

Wait Until It Gets Older..
By gadawg89742 on 09/01/11 13:50 PM (PDT)

2007 Volvo S40 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I have been very disappointed with this car. I've had my S40 for 4 years now. Wait a few years and your AC compressor WILL go out. My friend and I got our S40s, brand new, within a week of each other and both of our AC compressors went out in the same month 4 years later. The quality over time is just not there with Volvo anymore. So I hope all you people who just got your S40's are ready to shell out a few thousand dollars in the next year. I'll be getting a Toyota...

A keeper
By ndotym on 06/29/11 15:41 PM (PDT)

2007 Volvo S40 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I purchased this car from internet sales new, people say the 2.4I is a low in non perfoming car they don't drive this vehicle on the highway, the turbo would of been nice but I plan to keep this one, its a blast with power to spare in manual mode. I get looks all the time, just turn 65,000 and my servicing dealer tells me its a keeper, and I will drive it to the wheels fall off. I have the select package black and dark gray interior tetech, no problems just normal servicing, two sets of tires. Volvo did its job with this one. I believe the 2.4 motor should stay in the Volvo line up. great motor.

Nice Car, Terrible Manufacture service
By volvo2007red on 05/04/11 10:49 AM (PDT)

2007 Volvo S40 T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I enjoy my 2007 S40 and purchased it due to extended warranty. I have had the same repetitive problems with "bad batteries" twice in 3 years. Volvo has done nothing to identify the problem other than make me pay for new batteries. Since the original was under manufactures warranty the replacement's warranty was null and void, therefore the bills on me. Manufacture did nothing to further look into problem, or recognize the product default. I am sure I will be reposting again in another year with the same issue! Buy with caution!

Perfect so far
By alice_s40 on 05/03/11 23:37 PM (PDT)

2007 Volvo S40 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

This was not the car I was shopping for when I bought it, I was looking at a BMW 330ihad they not sold it I would be driving that and complaining about the oil changes. However I currently have 45k on mine, it's a stick and its a blast to drive. Mine is red so it attracts the looks and questions. Great gas mileage about 28-32 respectively, it's been driven on some back country roads where traction was an issue and handled it great, snow no problem. All I have done is the oil changes, synthetic blend when The light tells me too..great car, fun to drive, has a little road noise but I replaced the tires and so far so good. Now having said all these good things nothing btw go wrong.

CPO - Very Reliable
By JG on 10/03/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2007 Volvo S40 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I purchased this car with approx. 20000 mi CPO from my local dealer. I have changed the oil every 5000 mi, not factory recommended 7500. I now have 82000+ miles on the car. I've only had to take it in twice for repairs. Once for something very minor and the second time for the A/C going out intermittently on very hot days in South GA. Thank goodness it was CPO! They replaced the compressor (with new clutch assembly) and it is good as new. (Would have cost a mint had it not been covered under the extended warranty - $1200+) Overall, good entry vehicle into the premium compact sedan market. The 2.4i could use 20-30 more HP, but the MPG is great. Average 27 mixed. 31+ Highway.

LoyalVolvoOwnerFL
By LoyalVolvoOwner on 10/02/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2007 Volvo S40 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

This is my third Volvo. Same color and same engine. So far everything is great. The transmission adapts to the driver (like a fitted baseball glove) I was concerned about what to do after the warranty expires. I can't think of another car that i could get in and feel as excited as i do for the price that i paid, no matter where my destination may be...work, gym, roadtrip, or out to dinner. I don't think this car will ever look outdated. Auto body shop personnel have said great things. Extended VIP warranty is available but only before the orginal warranty expires.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.