Used 2007 Volvo S40 Consumer Reviews - 41 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S40 model:

Great Car, Expensive to Maintain
By Ben

2007 Volvo S40 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I purchased this car with 53,000 miles on it and absolutely loved it. I have done everything with this car from fun corners and "quick" driving to driving through blizzards. This car unfortunately was only held back by the exorbitant maintenance costs and its relatively small size. I am 6' 8" and purchased the car because I was sick of driving big cars but have recently dealt with back pain from the seating position, all my friends find it incredibly comfortable but I am simply to tall for it. The maintenance is an unfortunate story. After having purchased the car in brand new condition (53,000 miles) I have put about 20,000 miles on it in the last year and spent close to $8,000 in repairs. The most painful of which was the dual mass flywheel and clutch which cost $3200 alone to replace from the dealer. The clutch paired with new suspension, new brakes, new front struts, new tires, and a steering wheel lock incident have created the most expensive (car maintenance) year off my life. So alas I must let the poor thing go, but I have to say if you get lucky, or don't mind spending the money on maintenance, the car is excellent fun and will get you through anything, from driving through 6inch deep snow without chains or studs, to the pounding rain of Oregon winters. The car is simply excellent fun.

Riding on Air
By T. Levi

2007 Volvo S40 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I have had my '07 Volvo S40 since '08 and every time I drive it it feels like the first time. It does not show it's age many people can't believe it is as old as it is. I have truly enjoyed this car but am looking forward to moving up a class to the Volvo S60! I feel so safe in this car. Would recommend a Volvo to anyone! T. L. in Virginia.

Do not buy this car w/ more than 100k miles
By Andrew B

2007 Volvo S40 T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

My the 2.5T back in college w/ 75k miles because we got a good deal from a friend at a dealership. Drove fine until we hit about 110k and then it was one repair after another. My wife has sentimental attachment to the car, but I would get rid of it tomorrow if I could. It is a mediocre car that calls itself luxury - decent power, decent interior, decent handling, poor brakes, outdated infotainment even for the time...nothing great about the car. Over the past year we've easily put $5000 in non-routine repairs and have experienced several breakdowns. One was a software update which the dealer never notified us of. If you want a luxury car spend a few grand extra for a beamer or audi, if you want a reliable car (which has basically everything the volvos do minus a little power) get a Honda or Toyota. Will never get another Volvo. Also get mediocre MPG for the power offered.

45K Mile Disappointment
By jamiefg

2007 Volvo S40 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I purchased a 2007 Volvo S40 for safety and design. I've been very happy since! I just picked up my car 2 weeks after a 45K mile checkup at Volvo and was devastated to learn that I had nearly $3,000 of repairs needed. I take great care of my car and was not expecting anything other than the basic oil change and repairs at such low mileage. I am extremely disappointed at this point, and afraid of the thousands of dollars I may need to sink into my car in time. Beyond, the Volvo service team was charging me twice as much as my family mechanic - and quickly met his pricing once I brought it up. I loved my car, but I also want a company I can rely on and trust for 100K miles!

MOST RELIABLE VEHICLE I HAVE EVER OWNED
By volvo84

2007 Volvo S40 T5 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I purchased my 2007 Volvo s40 in late 2007. The vehicle had less than 5,000 miles and was in perfect condition. I have always been an import buyer yet never owning a Volvo I was a little skeptical.

The i5 provides the car with more than adequate power. The acceleration was great and I never had any problem overtaking other vehicles.

As the title of the review says, the s40 was literally the most reliable car I have owned. For the 3 years I owned the s40 and putting upwards of 130,000 miles on the odometer, I forgot what it was like to have my car reparied. No problems with anything other than a right front wheel bearing.