2006 Volvo S40 Consumer Review: Great car, even with a few fla

2006 Volvo S40 Sedan - Consumer Review

Great car, even with a few flaws!
By Matt on

2006 Volvo S40 T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I absolutely love this car! I fell in love with it as soon as I took it out for the test drive. Sharp looking and gets lots of attention. I really only have 2 issues with the car. First, city mileage isn't what I expected it to be. I do almost all of my driving in-city and find myself at the gas pump more than I expected. Second, the rear brakes have started to squeal when backing up, and the problem seems to be a mystery. I've had the car in twice (with a 3rd looming). I've done some checking online and found my problem, while not widespread, is not unique to my car either (no solution ID'd). It's a frustrating issue that I shouldn't be dealing with on a car 4200 miles in.

Favorite Features

Outside/inside style. IKEA inspired center console is a thing of beauty (esp in aluminum trim). Seats are comfortable and supportive. Car is easy to drive and the T5 engine has lots of pep to it. Trunk is large for a car of this size. Excellent build quality. Very quiet inside.

Suggested Improvements

Again, city MPG is much less than I expected. Also, while I don't keep a lot in my car, I do agree that the door pockets are a joke. Most importantly, I'd love to have the brake problem resolved. No impact on brake performance, but it's certainly embarrassing on a new car.