2006 Volvo S40 2.4i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

First New Car
By denise

2006 Volvo S40 T5 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I just bought this car in June 05 and it was worth the money I spent. I am a short person and this car really conforms to my height. I have never been so comfortable driving in a vehicle before. The gear-tronic is a lot of fun.

Favorite Features

Turbo engine, AWD, sound system, over- all, nice looking car!

Suggested Improvements

Even though the turbo is fast, it sometimes feels like it's lagging. This is my first turbo, so I have nothing to compare it too.

The 2006 T5 is Awesome!
By db4639

2006 Volvo S40 T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Overall, the 2005 Volvo T5 is awesome! Some people thought I was crazy to go from a 2004 3-Series BMW to a Volvo, but the superb handling & luxurious feel of this car far surpasses the BMW. The car is safe, reliable, powerful and very fun to drive. The fuel economy is also a plus, as was the purchase price! If you enjoy luxury at a reasonable price, the new Volvo is a must have!

Favorite Features

The 12-Speaker Dolby Digital Surround System is a must have in this car - it makes the car even more fun to drive. The 6-speed manual transmission is also a blast to drive and the car has a ton of power and pickup.

Suggested Improvements

The car is not very old, but at this point, I see no room for improvement. This car is an overall excellent purchase!

Love my new car!
By Jenny

2006 Volvo S40 T5 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

This has to be one of the best compact cars on the market. The handling is precise, and the interior comfort is the best that I have driven.

Ck engine light
By alison cramer

2006 Volvo S40 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Love the Car! Very Sporty! Check engine light has come on twice already with one time being something broken. Wish MPG was a little better.

Favorite Features

Stereo and basic handling of car.

Suggested Improvements

T-tech upholstry is great, but the vinyl sides make my thighs sweat. Windows collect debris that gets sucked into door when window goes down.

Bethany's Volvo S40
By BRH

2006 Volvo S40 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

The new S40 is NOT your father's Volvo! The recently revamped 2005 S40 has Volvo's signature elegance and class, yet - despite its (somewhat boring) reputation for safety and reliability -- is incredibly fun to drive and punchy. I would recommend this car to anyone looking for class, excitement, and reliability at a price that is surprisingly easy-to-swallow.

A Sporty Volvo
By Steven

2006 Volvo S40 T5 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

We love this car! It is our first Volvo so can't compare with previous models but compared to other cars I've owned this is the best. Handles like a sports car, lots of power and really cool interior.

Favorite Features

All wheel drive and ease of use of the controls.

Suggested Improvements

Wish it didn't require high octane gas and turbo seems to lag a bit (this is my first turbocharged car so might be me).

First Car
By Doogie Macmillan

2006 Volvo S40 T5 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

This is my first car and i think it is great. I already got in an accident in my first week and it held up great. The other persons car was totaled (it was a saab). I got it full loaded and it was worth every penny. The Nav is easy to use while driving. The sound system is great going down the street listening to 50 cent. I just bought 18 inch chrome rims and the car looks even better. I could not ask for a better car for a 17 year old.

Favorite Features

Acceleration, nav, sound system, overall style

Suggested Improvements

Poor gas mileage, rough ride

Volvo continues to move up
By Greg Hocevar

2006 Volvo S40 T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

If you are looking for a safe, fun little car to drive, then this is the one for you. Whether it be around town, on winding country roads, or on the freeway, this car performs as if it had the heart of a sports car (with a more comfortable ride of course). For the value, this will beat any BMW 3 series, any Mercedes C-Class, and any Infinity G class.

Favorite Features

The T5 engine is a must and you will never bored accelerating from a stop light or passing someone on the freeway. The upgraded Dolby Digital Surround System sounds like that of an expensive home audio system. The Harmon Kardin head unit and Dyna speakers are a great combonation.

Suggested Improvements

No significant improvements are in order for this car, but I often wonder what an S40 R might be like.

Wonderful Car
By Lauren Waitkus

2006 Volvo S40 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

My Volvo S40 is the most comfortable car that I have ever driven in. I am very glad that I purchased this vehicle. It is rated as one of the safest cars, and I always feel safe when I am driving in it.

Favorite Features

My favorite features are it's outside look and inside interior. I love it's middle consul. It is a very classy car.

Solid and fairly speedy
By rich

2006 Volvo S40 T5 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Wife just leased a 2006 S40 T5 AWD. I own a 2005 S4 so my opinions may be biased. I was impressed how comfortable the drive is, the smooth handling and 6-speed gearbox, nice acceleration for 218 hp in the lower revs despite the car's weight, broad torque band, simple yet sophisticated interior, decent navigational system, "thud" sound of the closing doors, overall sporty styling.

Favorite Features

As explained above.

Suggested Improvements

Rear-view limited, however, I understand the safety factor. For a 12 speaker, 305watt audio system, the sound quality is pretty weak. Installing an 8 inch sub will help. If Volvo put the S60 R engine in this car with a tighter suspension, you would have the hottest Scandinavian car on the market.