Used 2006 Volvo S40 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Volvo S40 - Consumer Reviews

2006 Volvo S40

View reviews for a specific S40 model:

Is it possible to be in LOVE with a car?
By JDLasVegas

2006 Volvo S40 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

This is my first Volvo. I was considering BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar, even Lexus. Value for dollar, and the fact that the Volvo IS the safest vehicle on the road (I did my homework), it was a clear choice: Volvo. I am in love with this car! The dealership here in Las Vegas treats me like a king. I've never had such a wonderful car buying experience.

Favorite Features

For five cylinders this car has the power I need when pulling out onto the freeway. I used to have to turn my Toyota a/c off to pull out. Rides like a ocean liner-smooth. I feel so safe and protected in this car. If the unthinkable happens, I know Volvo has got my back, literally with WHIPS.

Suggested Improvements

Shorter, smaller drivers may have a problem seeing out of the rear window because of the head retraints front and rear.

Great car, even with a few flaws!
By Matt

2006 Volvo S40 T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I absolutely love this car! I fell in love with it as soon as I took it out for the test drive. Sharp looking and gets lots of attention. I really only have 2 issues with the car. First, city mileage isn't what I expected it to be. I do almost all of my driving in-city and find myself at the gas pump more than I expected. Second, the rear brakes have started to squeal when backing up, and the problem seems to be a mystery. I've had the car in twice (with a 3rd looming). I've done some checking online and found my problem, while not widespread, is not unique to my car either (no solution ID'd). It's a frustrating issue that I shouldn't be dealing with on a car 4200 miles in.

Favorite Features

Outside/inside style. IKEA inspired center console is a thing of beauty (esp in aluminum trim). Seats are comfortable and supportive. Car is easy to drive and the T5 engine has lots of pep to it. Trunk is large for a car of this size. Excellent build quality. Very quiet inside.

Suggested Improvements

Again, city MPG is much less than I expected. Also, while I don't keep a lot in my car, I do agree that the door pockets are a joke. Most importantly, I'd love to have the brake problem resolved. No impact on brake performance, but it's certainly embarrassing on a new car.

Weird Sounds, Other Troubles-a Mistake!
By Paul Margolis

2006 Volvo S40 T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

This is my third Volvo (740 960 and now S40) I am very disappointed with the quality and support from volvo. Pressure sensor was bad inside gas tank and fixed by dealer. The car makes very annoying Owl-like sounds, which the dealer has not fixed. Supposedly volvo is working on a computer software fix. The clock occasionally resets itself--another annoying feature. Save your money for a higher quality car. Do not expect any help from Volvo when you complain....apparantly Volvo has lost all class after having been bought by Ford.

Favorite Features

The acceleration is good, but a bit nonlinear (jerky).

Suggested Improvements

Improve noise insulation. Improve overall quality of the S-40 which is not up to previous Volvo standards in my opinion.

Great Car
By Mary

2006 Volvo S40 T5 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Driving is fun, safety is superb, look is sleek...as my 20 year old son told me..."Mom, you got yourself a sexy little car!"

Favorite Features

Handling, manual is only way to go.

my new s40
By lisa

2006 Volvo S40 T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I thought I wanted a BMW then i looked at the volvo s40 and fell in love with it, it's fun to drive, it has the speed and pick up when i want it and handles nicely, my daughter wants it, shes 13!!! I love owning a Volvo and feel safe.

Favorite Features

the stereo, the silver inlay and the comfy seats

Suggested Improvements

move the windshild wiper knob someplace elce, i hit it sometimes when i put the keys in