Used 2006 Volvo S40 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S40 model:

Great sporty exterior styling--w/noises
By shannoningr

2006 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Overall, I loved this vehicle. It was a bit of an adjustment going from a van to this small sedan. My chief complaints were all the noises, especially during warmer months. The clutch creeked so loud it sounded like a barn door (even after the dealer fixed it multiple times). Then the air compressor was noisy (almost "breathing") even when it was not in use and then the windows didn't seal up quite right resulting in air gaps and noises. Occassionally, my CD's would get stuck for a few days. I would still recommend this vehicle despite it's little quirks.

The exterior styling is superior to others and stands out.

Stop the noise!

Driving in the snow
By dana

2006 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

This is my first Volvo. I have previously owned SUVs and also similar sized cars, like the Accord and a Camry. This car handles great on drive pavement. I love the zippiness and great gas mileage. Overall, it is a wonderful car. However, it does not handle well in snow or rain. In fact it is just a step better than a RWD car. This is my second winter with this car and I am so dissappointed.

The quickness is great in traffic.

The front wheel drive does not compare to other automobiles in its class.

Another Success From Volvo
By VolvoNut

2006 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

This is an outstanding car. Having owned four Volvos prior to this one (144, 164, 245, P1800), I have to say that the S40 (T5, AWD, 6-speed) is my favorite. The drivetrain components are solid: strong acceleration, consistent stopping power, and smooth shifting make for an enjoyable driving experience. Unlike the older turbos, this one is not subject to the same kind of shock-cooling that damaged earlier models back in the 80s. The clutch takes some getting used to. It is very light, but it grabs rather quickly. Having endured intense snow in Denver this year, the AWD came in rather handy. With DTSC, it handled beautifully.

Transmission, seating support, "floating" console, turbo.

More interior space, more space between the brake and the accelerator. I've needed three or four "software updates." This car is like a computer on four wheels. Just be sure that you take care of software revisions before the car goes out of warranty. Mucho $$$ if you wait too long.

Noise Problem
By jn

2006 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

The car has 7,000 miles on it and has developed a noise in the drive train. Volvo has replaced the tranny, the clutch, the shocks, the motor mounts and the axles. They now say that the sound is normal!

Comfort and ergonomics

Fix this noise!

best buy in the luxury entry level class
By joseph from rockford

2006 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

i was looking for a 4 door sedan for my wife. we looked at the 3 series bmw (too pricey when options are added in) the audi A4 (wife hated the styling) and the C class mercedes (my choice, but it wasn't for me) we(she) choose the volvo for it's safty features. i wound up buying it because comparably equipped it was several thousands less that it's german counterparts. the drivers seat with its 12 way power and lumbar support is more comfortable than most family room recliners. it has all the bells and whistles to keep the conversation going at the country club. and its a good looking car. complaints? maybe the faux wood. but the dealer we bought from was first class. would buy again.

price. features. styling. dealer experience. decent performance and a million safety items.

i'd pay a little more for real wood interior accents.