2006 Volvo S40 2.4i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

I love this car!
By Justin

2006 Volvo S40 T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I ditched my dying '97 Dodge Avenger for the S40 T5 and haven't looked back. The T5 is definitely the way to go. My partner has a '06 3-series and I wouldn't trade with him for a second. Styling, build quality and performance are top notch. Only negative comment I have is the city MPG isn't that great. Even then, I wouldn't hesitate recommending this car to anybody.

Favorite Features

Exterior style. Car is silver w/ 17" wheels. Love the inside style. Black leather w/ aluminum trim. Center stack is gorgeous. Sprung for optional aluminum trimmed steering wheel and shift knob to make everything "pop". No complaints on performance. Go for the T5 and this little car will move!

Suggested Improvements

City MPG isn't much better than my old Avenger. Other than that, I honestly can't think of anything.

Volvo S40....No complaints!
By clintb305

2006 Volvo S40 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Since I left the dealership with my 2006 S40 I've had a smile on my face. It's fun to drive. It's quick more than it is fast. It's a smooth quiet ride, very comfortable. Has an amazing sound system with easily accessible controls. Has a large trunk with seats that fold down in the back. But the best thing about it is the price.....it's actually affordable.

Favorite Features

Hands down the sound system is my favorite feature. I'm 28 and love to blast my music. It's got a 6 disk cd changer in the dash and has 7 speakers so you can feel the bass. And you can change the station or track while keeping your hands on the steering wheel. Volvo is all about that "safety".

Suggested Improvements

The only improvement I would recommend is on the body. I think the body should be a little more sleak. I think the roof has a little too much roundness to it and should have more of a slanted look.

My first Volvo, but not my last.
By Diana C

2006 Volvo S40 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Great looking car. I love the sporty lines, while retaining it's classy look. Gone are the days when Volvo was boxy and predictable. Volvo proves a sedan can be sporty.

Favorite Features

I love all it's features.

Suggested Improvements

None.

Everything I hoped and more
By osxboi

2006 Volvo S40 T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Had mine built to order -- about 10 weeks from order to delivery, and it was sure worth the wait. This is an awesome vehicle. With the 218/236 turbo, power is great. With the Sports Package, handling is superb -- 17" wheels and sport-tuned suspension. This little baby puts out when you most need it, like dodging lanes in rush hour traffic and on-ramp merging on interstates. Build quality is excellent. In three months I haven't had a single problem. Everything works. Design is far superior to anything American, Japanese or German. Get this car if you want a good price, performance and lots of stares.

Favorite Features

Engine performance, handling, looks, interior design, simplicity of controls.

Suggested Improvements

Darker window tinting, especially here in Florida.

Great car
By s40 blue

2006 Volvo S40 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I bought this car in February and it is a wonderful car. I have nothing but great experiences with this car, tons of compliments and the dealership I bought it from was awesome

Favorite Features

The interior design

A Great Car
By richard berstein

2006 Volvo S40 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Got a terrific deal-$28,400 list for $23,200! Handles great, and all the "bells and whistles". A really solid feel, and great acceleration for a 5 cylinder. I couldn't believe I could get a Volvo for a price comparable to a Kia or Hyundai, both of which, in my view, are very much inferior.

Favorite Features

Safety exudes---6 airbags and traction control. An excellent radio, as well. I'm really fussy on cup holders, and they are very well-placed. Further, it has the largest glove compartment I've ever seen!

Suggested Improvements

This car will be really hard to improve upon. I thoroughly recommend it!

Fun AND Comfortable on long commute
By PA-NYC_Volvo driver

2006 Volvo S40 T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Never gave Volvo a thought until I test drove this car and was I impressed. I test drove the BVW 3series, Audi, Honda, Acura and was suprised to find that this car was actually fun, quick and handling was comparable to its competitors. Did I mention fun...Hold on when the turbo kicks in...got to remember to lay off the accelerator at times! It maneuvers/responds superbly in and out of tight city traffic or interstate traffic. The one hour drive is very comfortable especially after a 13hr work day. Besides, I couldn't have gotten a fully loaded vehicle w/ so many options I didn't think were necessary but now can't do without for less than 30K....definitely not the other mentioned vehicles

Favorite Features

great ext/interior looks, sporty..love passion red. Optional 5speed 'geatronic' simulating a manual is a great option for the die-hard manual tranny lover w/o inconvenience of clutch. Seating comfy & not the feel of sittig a few inches from the steering 4 those of us who are vertically challanged.

Suggested Improvements

larger/longer storage compartment to store CDs or rest arm while driving. Otherwise, no complaint or negatives thus far.

I'm in Love!
By CoaChKsCar

2006 Volvo S40 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I have always wanted a Volvo of my own and I have no regrets now that I have one!! I have never felt as safe in a car after owning a Saab 9000, a VW Jetta and a Scion tc. It is solid and flawless and handles so well in questionable weather. I would recommend it to anyone. I will never buy anything other than Volvo again. Its engine is powerful and the control is amazing. The interior design is slick and incredibly functional and the sound system is great. Im a soccer coach so being able to fit all of my crap in the trunk is a must and this car definitely fills that need!! If you are considering this car I have nothing but strong recommendations for it!!

Favorite Features

SAFETY!!!! The seats are amazing. So comfortable and I love the headrests. The controls are incredibly functional. I love the stability/traction control and the manumatic transmission. I love that I am surrounded by airbags if an accident should happen. I love everything really!!

Suggested Improvements

Luckily I drive mostly highway miles because the city mpg is lagging a bit. My only issue so far is that we are afraid my alarm system may be too sensitive because it has gone off a few times without need, but it's a Volvo, something electrical has to go by tradition :)

ehh, it's ok...
By Lex

2006 Volvo S40 T5 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

this car does not perform. it's got a bit of turbo but it doesn't effectively come on until higher rpms of third gear. the car handles like a beast. high center of gravity, extreme understeer. this car may initially spark the interest of a twenty-something looking to mod this swedish turbo, but they will find little in the way of aftermarket support. this is a great car for mommies with a heavy foot... but watch out for that gas mileage. mine's terrible. boy racers: look elsewhere... you wouldn't want to pay this much to be whipped by an accord (which gets better mp's). push it on the backroads and you'll end up in a ditch. handling is that bad. car needs more R&D

Favorite Features

safety's a big plus. seats look great, but are uncomfortable for anything into the hour range. premium stereo is nice. i am dissapointed in my purchase. better appointed cars can be had for less. mine gets much less mpg's than stated. this car is all safety, minimul comfort, minimal fun

Suggested Improvements

car tracks terribly. will follow any line in the road. mine has always pulled to the left. alignment and wheel/tire swaps have not fixed this. volvo's stumped. windows squeak when opened/closed. wind noise. expensive for lack of performance as well as basic interior. i will be selling it

BEST compact car ever!
By LOVE IT!!!!!

2006 Volvo S40 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I went on a "rainy" day just to keep it safe and not make a purchase knowing i had other cars to consider. Well, that certaintly didn't work as planned because once I drove the automatic knowing I ONLY wanted a manual in the rain, I could not believe the stability. I felt so safe cause I'm such a chicken when it comes to driving in the rain that it sold itself! Though I'm so picky I had to do a special order (Manual, Red, Climate, Sport & Select Pkg w/ beige interior) and can't wait for it to come from Europe. The premium sounds is out of control too. It's going to be a looker. I must say it's a chicks car- Definitely!

Favorite Features

I love the body. It looks sleek, classy, yet sporty. I also think the trunk is spacious.Inside is very compact.

Suggested Improvements

Us women need a sunglass case holder, rear bumper alert would be perfect, blind spot alert and key remote window opening before you get in. These 4 added features would be the ultimate vehicle!