2006 Volvo S40 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S40 model:
Great car
By Marcie on 05/14/08 11:27 AM (PDT)

2006 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

It's a good looking car that handles great and so far is very reliable. Interior is nice, comfortable, nice seats and stereo system.

Nice Looking, but.
By Paul on 04/18/08 11:33 AM (PDT)

2006 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Too many issues. Mostly electrical, control type problems. In dealership for service far too many times. No reason to do the Volvo experience again

Volvo S40 Fits the Times
By Patch on 04/08/08 12:32 PM (PDT)

2006 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I am 6 foot 2 and was looking for a fun car with a stick and I am so glad my wife found the S40. A former motorcyclist with many miles in Europe under my belt, I was conditioned against a Volvo. The bigger sedans were always driven by drivers who really need the protection of the cage if you get my drift. I was pleasantly surprised by the roominess of the interior on test drive: all three kids fit snugly in the back, the truck was ample, and the handling nimble. Compared to my bikes and other cars, my previous car in the US was a 1991 SAAB Turbo SPG, the little blue car felt spunky but a tad underpowered - sadly the Turbo doesnt come in a stick. 42k later - still a great car at 28mpg!

Great sporty exterior styling--w/noises
By shannoningr on 04/02/08 14:14 PM (PDT)

2006 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Overall, I loved this vehicle. It was a bit of an adjustment going from a van to this small sedan. My chief complaints were all the noises, especially during warmer months. The clutch creeked so loud it sounded like a barn door (even after the dealer fixed it multiple times). Then the air compressor was noisy (almost "breathing") even when it was not in use and then the windows didn't seal up quite right resulting in air gaps and noises. Occassionally, my CD's would get stuck for a few days. I would still recommend this vehicle despite it's little quirks.

Driving in the snow
By dana on 12/06/07 13:09 PM (PST)

2006 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

This is my first Volvo. I have previously owned SUVs and also similar sized cars, like the Accord and a Camry. This car handles great on drive pavement. I love the zippiness and great gas mileage. Overall, it is a wonderful car. However, it does not handle well in snow or rain. In fact it is just a step better than a RWD car. This is my second winter with this car and I am so dissappointed.

Another Success From Volvo
By VolvoNut on 03/31/07 23:40 PM (PDT)

2006 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

This is an outstanding car. Having owned four Volvos prior to this one (144, 164, 245, P1800), I have to say that the S40 (T5, AWD, 6-speed) is my favorite. The drivetrain components are solid: strong acceleration, consistent stopping power, and smooth shifting make for an enjoyable driving experience. Unlike the older turbos, this one is not subject to the same kind of shock-cooling that damaged earlier models back in the 80s. The clutch takes some getting used to. It is very light, but it grabs rather quickly. Having endured intense snow in Denver this year, the AWD came in rather handy. With DTSC, it handled beautifully.

Noise Problem
By jn on 03/26/07 09:28 AM (PDT)

2006 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

The car has 7,000 miles on it and has developed a noise in the drive train. Volvo has replaced the tranny, the clutch, the shocks, the motor mounts and the axles. They now say that the sound is normal!

best buy in the luxury entry level class
By joseph from rockford on 01/15/07 10:57 AM (PST)

2006 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

i was looking for a 4 door sedan for my wife. we looked at the 3 series bmw (too pricey when options are added in) the audi A4 (wife hated the styling) and the C class mercedes (my choice, but it wasn't for me) we(she) choose the volvo for it's safty features. i wound up buying it because comparably equipped it was several thousands less that it's german counterparts. the drivers seat with its 12 way power and lumbar support is more comfortable than most family room recliners. it has all the bells and whistles to keep the conversation going at the country club. and its a good looking car. complaints? maybe the faux wood. but the dealer we bought from was first class. would buy again.

Excellent Value
By snead_c on 12/29/06 08:33 AM (PST)

2006 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I replaced a Subie STi with my Volvo.A definite step down in performance but necessary at this time. I'm very pleased with my overall experience with the car. It gives over 30 MPG on the highway and is very comfortable to drive.

My Dream car
By VolvoFanatic on 12/07/06 21:31 PM (PST)

2006 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I love this car, and have wanted one since they came out with the new body style in 2004.5. The only trouble I have had was the alarm siren had to be replaced, but was of course covered by warranty. I was considering an Accord, but I am glad I went with the S40. I replaced my 2000 S70 with it.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.