Used 2006 Volvo S40 2.4i Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S40 model:

Great Investment
By gradstudent456

2006 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

My S40 has nearly 150K miles on it and with regular maintenance, tire rotations/balancing and oil changes, I have had very few issues. I constantly receive compliments on how elegant the car is. Many acquaintances believe it newer and more expensive than it is. I am lucky to have Volvo-specialized mechanic with integrity in town. While parts are expensive, I plan on having the car until it dies because it is such good quality. Purchasing this vehicle is like purchasing a high-quality leather handbag. It is expensive but if you care for it regularly, the investment will bring you satisfaction and contentment for many years. You will be proud to own even if it is not the newest.

Surround sound is great! Elegant interior is calming. Huge windows mean great visibility all around. Moonroof is fantastic. I am petite, so I love that I can raise height of driver seat and lower steering wheel!

Sunroof drainage was an issue for a little while until got it cleaned. Only mechanical issues I had were result of previous owner negligence. Once resolved those and got on regular maintenance schedule, no unexpected issues.

Excellent car that saved family's life!
By Will J

2006 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Our Volvo saved our life/limbs! We were recently hit at full speed from a guy who ran a red light! our car absorbed all the impact. None of us were severely injured (thank God!). I miss my 'Velvet' already :-(. We always got tons of remarks on the styling and the interior. Very sturdy, high quality equipment inside and out. Looked great with 18" rims on it. I bought it fresh from the Swedish factory in 2005, and had ZERO mechanical problems in 5 yrs of driving, including driving 2 yrs on the autobahn! My car was totaled in the accident but I plan to get another. I am Volvo for life. :-)

10-speaker Bose surround sound with 6-disc in dash changer was excellent! fog lights looked impressive in pics :-D. The T-Tec seats were easy to clean! Nice tight turning with great handling. auto-adjusting illumination is awesome!

Better gas mileage for the size of vehicle otherwise this may be a 'flawless' car! The Swedes reign supreme in my book :-)

Steady performer
By bonzo23

2006 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I got this S40 as a company car in 06 and liked it so much that when it went off lease I purchased it for personal use. Even with the normally aspired 5 cylinder it has great pickup. The road handing is head and shoulders above Camry, Sable, and Impalas that I have had for company cars. There is a nice road feel with responsive steering yet a not unacceptable ride or noise. After correcting an A/c blower motor that was faulty on delivery, it has been problem free. Now with 4 years and 64K miles, It has been to the shop for A/C compressor replacement and twice for electrical diagnostics which found not problems despite the high $ diagnostics.

sporty feel when driven aggressively. Good braking feel. Good seats with support. 30+ mpg on highway. A/C cools well even in 100 degree heat in a dark blue vehicle.

tighten up the build to eliminate rattles and squeaks; standardize parts so as to eliminate high cost of maintenance. The high cost of repair and maintenance after warranty expiration is the main issue that would keep me from buying another Volvo.

Such a dissappointment
By Bethanyraina

2006 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I was so excited when I bought this car. I have always wanted a volvo and did my research on what a great car this was supposed to be. I have had nothing but problems since I bought it. First the air didn't work, then the side mirrors wouldn't work. Then the AC didn't work again. At least all of that was covered by warranty. Now, after 4 years and no warranty, the entire electrical system is failing, telling me the air bags will deploy, brakes don't work, its locked me in and out of the car numerous times, alarm goes off for no reason. It will cost me close to 3k to fix. This shouldn't happen after four years. Very disappointed, and will never buy a volvo ever again.

A Ford in Sheep's Clolthing
By DMark

2006 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Overall, a good vehicle for the money. Economy is great (we're getting 32+ mpg on the open road), and features for a small car are good. The Hallmark of a Ford is crap fasteners, and to that end this s40 wears the Mantle of it's once parent company very well. Trunk lid liner fasteners strewn in the trunk, interior panel fastener hanging loose, window base trim. I automatically push it back in now as I reach for the door handle, lower front grill fastener never has been aligned, headlamp washer almost pops back into the correct location, and an external air temp gauge that sporadically reads 20 degrees low (of course, it functions normally at the dealer).

Economy and handling

Let the Volvo engineers undo Ford's "value engineering" efforts. I would approach the purchase of a new Volvo cautiously.

• SUV