2006 Volvo S40 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S40 model:
Excellent car that saved family's life!
By Will J on 08/19/10 17:25 PM (PDT)

2006 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Our Volvo saved our life/limbs! We were recently hit at full speed from a guy who ran a red light! our car absorbed all the impact. None of us were severely injured (thank God!). I miss my 'Velvet' already :-(. We always got tons of remarks on the styling and the interior. Very sturdy, high quality equipment inside and out. Looked great with 18" rims on it. I bought it fresh from the Swedish factory in 2005, and had ZERO mechanical problems in 5 yrs of driving, including driving 2 yrs on the autobahn! My car was totaled in the accident but I plan to get another. I am Volvo for life. :-)

Steady performer
By bonzo23 on 07/12/10 12:07 PM (PDT)

2006 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I got this S40 as a company car in 06 and liked it so much that when it went off lease I purchased it for personal use. Even with the normally aspired 5 cylinder it has great pickup. The road handing is head and shoulders above Camry, Sable, and Impalas that I have had for company cars. There is a nice road feel with responsive steering yet a not unacceptable ride or noise. After correcting an A/c blower motor that was faulty on delivery, it has been problem free. Now with 4 years and 64K miles, It has been to the shop for A/C compressor replacement and twice for electrical diagnostics which found not problems despite the high $ diagnostics.

Such a dissappointment
By Bethanyraina on 06/21/10 11:22 AM (PDT)

2006 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I was so excited when I bought this car. I have always wanted a volvo and did my research on what a great car this was supposed to be. I have had nothing but problems since I bought it. First the air didn't work, then the side mirrors wouldn't work. Then the AC didn't work again. At least all of that was covered by warranty. Now, after 4 years and no warranty, the entire electrical system is failing, telling me the air bags will deploy, brakes don't work, its locked me in and out of the car numerous times, alarm goes off for no reason. It will cost me close to 3k to fix. This shouldn't happen after four years. Very disappointed, and will never buy a volvo ever again.

A Ford in Sheep's Clolthing
By DMark on 06/16/10 06:57 AM (PDT)

2006 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Overall, a good vehicle for the money. Economy is great (we're getting 32+ mpg on the open road), and features for a small car are good. The Hallmark of a Ford is crap fasteners, and to that end this s40 wears the Mantle of it's once parent company very well. Trunk lid liner fasteners strewn in the trunk, interior panel fastener hanging loose, window base trim. I automatically push it back in now as I reach for the door handle, lower front grill fastener never has been aligned, headlamp washer almost pops back into the correct location, and an external air temp gauge that sporadically reads 20 degrees low (of course, it functions normally at the dealer).

Love this car - for 4yrs
By SD on 04/08/10 09:31 AM (PDT)

2006 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Bought this car in January 2006. Love it and still do, plan to hold onto if for a few more years. Other than a few recalls, which the dealership was great about, only standard maintenance required. Fun to drive and comfortable.

most reliable
By Tiler on 03/23/10 01:04 AM (PDT)

2006 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I have over 270k on my Volvo and it runs like new. Basically maintenance free all I had to do was an oil change. This car has a broken steering wheel it just kind of falls in your lap but thats fine considering how hard I drive it. This car has had no problems with anything. My only concern is when will Volvo start to profit off there car commercials. Make Volvo top of reliability. my last car was a 940 and it just ran forever. I think it died after 516K yeah 516K how many Toyota are like that? buy this car and you'll love every thing about it. like the safety, reliability, and ride. Volvo has a lot to be remembered for.

Lemon
By Kim, FL on 05/16/09 20:52 PM (PDT)

2006 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Love the car, perfect for me being a college student. Fun and sporty and perfectly smooth ride, excellent interior design and comfort. However, within 2 years of owning the vehicle, I encountered numerous problems with it starting due to electronic faults and technological issues. Buy with caution to save yourself headaches.

Let down!
By a.j. on 09/08/08 18:16 PM (PDT)

2006 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

This car is a gas hog! I sometimes have to fill my tank up 3 times a week. It is super slow since I didn't get the turbo. The first few months of driving the car the a/c broke and the software in the car had a glitch. The locks and the windows on my driver side would not work I had to crawl thru the passanger side. My a/c works now but it only gives you cool air not cold, so its really bad on a really hot summer day. The plastic linning in my door is pooping up, so everythime I try to get in the car I trip on the popping up plastic. I would not recomend this car to anyone, yeah its a good looking car but the quality is terrible. Very let down! I wish I never got this car, it's a lemon!

Fun to drive; lacks pep though.
By thechief on 09/03/08 17:02 PM (PDT)

2006 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I was surprised when I first drove it. The handling feels great although it just needs a bit more power. After the first year, the car won't start after I filled up with gas so I had to call 24-hour roadside support (which I like).

A fun car
By Christy G. on 05/28/08 20:45 PM (PDT)

2006 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I'm a loyal Volvo owner (have owned an '87 and '90 station wagons) and I love this car. I did have some set- backs in the beginning - electrical plug blew a fuse after barely being used, A/C started blowing out hot air mid-summer, then the foot fan stopped working. Currently experience a popping noise when turning every once in a while - still hasn't been corrected. Gas mileage is okay - not as great as my VW Golf, of course. I'm hoping for a Volvo hybrid!

1 2 3 4 5 next »

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.