Used 2006 Volvo S40 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S40 model:

VOLVO SAVED MY LIFE
By jlong4

2006 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I was driving an 06 black Volvo s40 2.4i. It had 138k miles and drove like brand new. I loved every second of it. However, one day there was a dog on the freeway in the fast lane. I swerved and couldn't gain control back. I went across five lanes of traffic where I then flipped, all while doing 70. The curtain airbag deployed and I was able to walk away with a small bruise. Needless to say, I went and bought another 06 blue Volvo s40 T5. And I could not be happier. Once a Volvo, always a Volvo. I have not had any issues with the new one. Usual maintenance and what not, gas mileage is at about 24-27 MPG, but not bad for a turbo.

lemon, literally
By monicald

2006 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

After 1 year I had taken my car in to repair the electrical 5 times, they couldn't do it. At one point the driver door wouldn't open and I had to enter my car through the passenger side. Volvo ended up settling for a good sized pay out. Here is a list of other problems I had with car, none of which were covered by warranty as they occurred just after the 50k warranty was up: 1) engine thermostat never worked 2) due to above, car overheated, replaced radiator reservoir & new thermostat 3) spark plugs replaced 4) door lock covers popped off 5) plastic peeling off control buttons 6) major water leak when rains, floor thoroughly soaked 7) radio shorted out 8) Trunk stuck in closed position

Favorite Features

Comfortable car, good power, fast.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the electrical problems in this car. Don't sell lemons! Recall the car and fix the drainage problem in the sunroof, this is an obvious design flaw, don't make us pay for it. My co-worker has the same car and has the same flooding problem in her car due to the sunroof drainage issues.

THE MOST AWSOME CAR
By Jeff

2006 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought this car brand new, and have found it to be the car that spoils me. I love this car soo much that I made it my garage queen, she is polished and stored. We take her out on vacations and long trips. She is our total luxary/sport car. THANK YOU VOLVO!!

Favorite Features

EVERYTHING!

Excellent car that saved family's life!
By Will J

2006 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Our Volvo saved our life/limbs! We were recently hit at full speed from a guy who ran a red light! our car absorbed all the impact. None of us were severely injured (thank God!). I miss my 'Velvet' already :-(. We always got tons of remarks on the styling and the interior. Very sturdy, high quality equipment inside and out. Looked great with 18" rims on it. I bought it fresh from the Swedish factory in 2005, and had ZERO mechanical problems in 5 yrs of driving, including driving 2 yrs on the autobahn! My car was totaled in the accident but I plan to get another. I am Volvo for life. :-)

Favorite Features

10-speaker Bose surround sound with 6-disc in dash changer was excellent! fog lights looked impressive in pics :-D. The T-Tec seats were easy to clean! Nice tight turning with great handling. auto-adjusting illumination is awesome!

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage for the size of vehicle otherwise this may be a 'flawless' car! The Swedes reign supreme in my book :-)

Steady performer
By bonzo23

2006 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I got this S40 as a company car in 06 and liked it so much that when it went off lease I purchased it for personal use. Even with the normally aspired 5 cylinder it has great pickup. The road handing is head and shoulders above Camry, Sable, and Impalas that I have had for company cars. There is a nice road feel with responsive steering yet a not unacceptable ride or noise. After correcting an A/c blower motor that was faulty on delivery, it has been problem free. Now with 4 years and 64K miles, It has been to the shop for A/C compressor replacement and twice for electrical diagnostics which found not problems despite the high $ diagnostics.

Favorite Features

sporty feel when driven aggressively. Good braking feel. Good seats with support. 30+ mpg on highway. A/C cools well even in 100 degree heat in a dark blue vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

tighten up the build to eliminate rattles and squeaks; standardize parts so as to eliminate high cost of maintenance. The high cost of repair and maintenance after warranty expiration is the main issue that would keep me from buying another Volvo.