2006 Volvo S40 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S40 model:
lemon, literally
By monicald on 12/30/10 11:29 AM (PST)

2006 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

After 1 year I had taken my car in to repair the electrical 5 times, they couldn't do it. At one point the driver door wouldn't open and I had to enter my car through the passenger side. Volvo ended up settling for a good sized pay out. Here is a list of other problems I had with car, none of which were covered by warranty as they occurred just after the 50k warranty was up: 1) engine thermostat never worked 2) due to above, car overheated, replaced radiator reservoir & new thermostat 3) spark plugs replaced 4) door lock covers popped off 5) plastic peeling off control buttons 6) major water leak when rains, floor thoroughly soaked 7) radio shorted out 8) Trunk stuck in closed position

THE MOST AWSOME CAR
By Jeff on 12/05/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2006 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought this car brand new, and have found it to be the car that spoils me. I love this car soo much that I made it my garage queen, she is polished and stored. We take her out on vacations and long trips. She is our total luxary/sport car. THANK YOU VOLVO!!

Excellent car that saved family's life!
By Will J on 08/19/10 17:25 PM (PDT)

2006 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Our Volvo saved our life/limbs! We were recently hit at full speed from a guy who ran a red light! our car absorbed all the impact. None of us were severely injured (thank God!). I miss my 'Velvet' already :-(. We always got tons of remarks on the styling and the interior. Very sturdy, high quality equipment inside and out. Looked great with 18" rims on it. I bought it fresh from the Swedish factory in 2005, and had ZERO mechanical problems in 5 yrs of driving, including driving 2 yrs on the autobahn! My car was totaled in the accident but I plan to get another. I am Volvo for life. :-)

Steady performer
By bonzo23 on 07/12/10 12:07 PM (PDT)

2006 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I got this S40 as a company car in 06 and liked it so much that when it went off lease I purchased it for personal use. Even with the normally aspired 5 cylinder it has great pickup. The road handing is head and shoulders above Camry, Sable, and Impalas that I have had for company cars. There is a nice road feel with responsive steering yet a not unacceptable ride or noise. After correcting an A/c blower motor that was faulty on delivery, it has been problem free. Now with 4 years and 64K miles, It has been to the shop for A/C compressor replacement and twice for electrical diagnostics which found not problems despite the high $ diagnostics.

Such a dissappointment
By Bethanyraina on 06/21/10 11:22 AM (PDT)

2006 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I was so excited when I bought this car. I have always wanted a volvo and did my research on what a great car this was supposed to be. I have had nothing but problems since I bought it. First the air didn't work, then the side mirrors wouldn't work. Then the AC didn't work again. At least all of that was covered by warranty. Now, after 4 years and no warranty, the entire electrical system is failing, telling me the air bags will deploy, brakes don't work, its locked me in and out of the car numerous times, alarm goes off for no reason. It will cost me close to 3k to fix. This shouldn't happen after four years. Very disappointed, and will never buy a volvo ever again.

A Ford in Sheep's Clolthing
By DMark on 06/16/10 06:57 AM (PDT)

2006 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Overall, a good vehicle for the money. Economy is great (we're getting 32+ mpg on the open road), and features for a small car are good. The Hallmark of a Ford is crap fasteners, and to that end this s40 wears the Mantle of it's once parent company very well. Trunk lid liner fasteners strewn in the trunk, interior panel fastener hanging loose, window base trim. I automatically push it back in now as I reach for the door handle, lower front grill fastener never has been aligned, headlamp washer almost pops back into the correct location, and an external air temp gauge that sporadically reads 20 degrees low (of course, it functions normally at the dealer).

Love this car - for 4yrs
By SD on 04/08/10 09:31 AM (PDT)

2006 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Bought this car in January 2006. Love it and still do, plan to hold onto if for a few more years. Other than a few recalls, which the dealership was great about, only standard maintenance required. Fun to drive and comfortable.

most reliable
By Tiler on 03/23/10 01:04 AM (PDT)

2006 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I have over 270k on my Volvo and it runs like new. Basically maintenance free all I had to do was an oil change. This car has a broken steering wheel it just kind of falls in your lap but thats fine considering how hard I drive it. This car has had no problems with anything. My only concern is when will Volvo start to profit off there car commercials. Make Volvo top of reliability. my last car was a 940 and it just ran forever. I think it died after 516K yeah 516K how many Toyota are like that? buy this car and you'll love every thing about it. like the safety, reliability, and ride. Volvo has a lot to be remembered for.

This car is a lemon!
By deuce316 on 02/24/10 18:34 PM (PST)

2006 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Within the first year of owning this car it had to be flatbed towed due to a faulty steering column. The doors and locks would not respond to either the key or the controls inside the car. Volvo looked at it 3 times before they could determine the problem.I had to drive there while the problem was happening to prove I wasn't crazy. I have 60k miles and I have to spend $1600 on a new clutch and clutch slave cylindar. the car is 4 yrs old and just over the warranty. Volvo will not take any ownership of the costs. A clutch should not break in 4 years. I am a very experienced standard transmission driver and it was not due to my handling. This car is a money pit! stay away at all costs.

Loved my 6 spd. T5 but not again for me
By Eric on 12/22/09 09:00 AM (PST)

2006 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Let me start by saying I am a longtime Volvo owner (2 S60's, 940T & T5) who always wanted this car. My T5 was the perfect car when it wasn't at the dealer for every little interior/electrical thing. The motor was GREAT and VERY fuel efficient (30+ mpg) Tons of torque, very comfortable, safe, handled good, very classy and different. Really loved this car but it was a royal headache of tiny issues (10 dealer repairs in 1 year...all different interior/electrical quirks). Being a Volvo owner I was used to little problems but it was a huge inconvenience spending all my time at the dealer (probably once a month). I still love that car but I sold it when the warranty ran out. Really a shame.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.